HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:08 AM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Feb 2008
631 Posts
I posted this in the Crack Yak thread, but figured there may be others trying to decide on motor setups and this would help.

Well just placed my order for the Crack Yak gold, 26g motor, CS90D digital 9g servo, etc. Can't wait!!!

For those interested, here are some watt numbers (same prop swapped, same pack swapped) comparing a brand new 26g Twisted motor on my buddies Pitts, vs the Turnigy 2730 on my Leadfeather 3D EPP Yak 55. Testing done on almost new (2 cycles) Gens Ace 450mAh 3s.

Turnigy 2730-1500kv:
8x4DD
10.61a
10.59v
112.7w

Turnigy 2730-1500kv:
8x4.3SF
12.39a
10.29v
128.1w

26g Twisted Hobby 1450kv:
8x4.3SF
13.87a
10.16v
141.6w

Went to test the 8x4DD on the 26g but the prop adapter oring broke and sent her sailing! Lol. That 26g is impressive. Didnt have my tach there for rpm but I'm almost positive it's a little higher kv than listed. Both have insane ballistic over-the-top power on 3s, and are great on the 9x4.7SF 2s indoor setup. You won't go wrong with either motor.
Eganwp is online now Find More Posts by Eganwp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:26 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobar View Post
Hey guys I have a question that is not intended to offend, it's just one of those need to know philosophical and possible life changing inquiries. If you don't own a gymnasium or don't have private property that has no wind, then why are these micro/UMX/ planes so popular? Now that they come with the gyro's they fly great outdoors but what about all of the pre-gyro fliers? Do people buy long bed trucks with tall camper shells and fly in them? Do they construct those large revival tents and fly in them? I try to fly my 32"edge 540 in the wind and it simply blows away, and it is heavier than the UMX models.
I don't think you'll offend anyone here by asking a legitmate question like this. I think some of your question depends on what you are used to, or skilled in flying in. I never flew my wet fuel planes when it was very windy... I just don't like flying in wind. Anything under 8-10mph is no problem. Above that, and you've got to be careful with anything, IMO. If you live in a place that is ALWAYS windy.... you will just have to adjust for the wind. You would probably benefit from the extra punch of 3s lipo's in your Edge. That will help you power through the wind. 2s is a little more "floaty", but you can still "ride" with the wind. Just keep practicing... I used to have a hell of a time keeping my plane in the same area code when it was windy.... now I like to throw it up in the wind on 2s just so I can literally make it stand still in the air and pointed into the wind. It is frustrating at times. It is hard to get used to. Like the others have said, early mornings and just after sunset usually provides a little "less-wind" times. I would give the 3s lipos a shot though if you're struggling in the wind. just my 2 cents....
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:08 PM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
749 Posts
Thanks to all of you who gave me some pennies regarding my UMX &
TH 540. I'll try the 3s on heavy wind and I will persevere until I can enjoy flying the wind. Actually the best flying around here IMO is fall and winter. Many dead calm days and flying on snow is one of my favs. I'm so anxious for snow that I taped up the front wheel on my Stryker to slide in snow. Only problem is the snow has melted for a couple weeks and I thoughtlessly flew it yesterday on the grass. Wow! That cartwheel landing was quite the entertainment and surprise. Thanks again for the help.

crobar
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:07 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
710 Posts
I am putting together my first TH foam plane (extra slick) and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the "T motor" brand sold at hobby parts. They are about the same price as the one sold at TH and look similar. I have ran cheaper turnigy motors on other foamies with good success but I am placing an order at hobby parts and would like to get it all at the same time. Also can you run 9g servos all around or is it better to get 5g's for the elevator and rudder? Thanks!

http://www.hobbypartz.com/02p-motor-...06-kv1500.html
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:20 PM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
979 Posts
My question is, if the price is close, why not just get the recommended motor from Twisted? I have several and they have been flawless. Personally, I'll never buy another Twisted plane without their power combo to go with it. Even if it's a few pennies more, when I buy from them, I know their equipment has been put through good testing with good pilots and they stand behind what they sell. Just my opinion.... actually, if you read through enough of the Twisted plane threads, you'll find a lot of guys went a different route only to circle back and get the motors from Twisted later on anyways. They are a top notch group of guys in my book.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Mar 2011
710 Posts
^ I have the plane already and I'm just trying to save a buck on shipping since I have some batteries to get for other planes.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:41 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,382 Posts
The tmotor will work. Considering it was used to power the venus. 9 gram servos will work too but you'd add more weight to the backend of the plane. Thus making it tail heavy which isn't good. Good luck.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:56 AM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake View Post
I am putting together my first TH foam plane (extra slick) and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the "T motor" brand sold at hobby parts. They are about the same price as the one sold at TH and look similar. ....
I've used the T-Motor T2006 and it's an excellent motor. Very powerful and efficent. The new AT series is even better with upgraded bearings and probably some other minor improvments. AT2206 in your link is, I believe, identical to the Twisted Hobbys 26 gram. It's as far a I can tell the same motor. Same with the 19 gram, it's very similar to the T-Motor AT2204. This motor is also very popular here in Sweden.
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:24 AM
Joined Mar 2011
710 Posts
Awesome, thank you, it looks the same aside from the color and matches the specs also.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:20 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake View Post
^ I have the plane already and I'm just trying to save a buck on shipping since I have some batteries to get for other planes.
Sorry man... guess I misunderstood. I'm just very bias (in a good way) towards Twisted. Their products, service, and overall style as a business has won me over. I don't gain anything by referring people to their products, but as for myself, I'll gladly pay a little extra, or additional shipping costs just to order what I need from them when it comes to hardware or electronics. I too shop around for batteries, so I understand now where you're coming from.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:34 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Hey guys,

We just got word that the Crack Yak Mini has shipped! We will get you more details ASAP.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:37 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
Hey guys,

We just got word that the Crack Yak Mini has shipped! We will get you more details ASAP.
Woohoo!
Sixinarow is online now Find More Posts by Sixinarow
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
979 Posts
In the words of Napoleon.... Dynamite......

YUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
Hey guys,

HURRAY!!!!
I can't wait
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:00 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,677 Posts
OMG another Crack yak, the Crack Yak is having lots of puppies.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320