SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:39 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,842 Posts
How crucial is it to mount the RVOSD on the CG? Ive got a 1.4m flying wing and the easiest place to mount the unit would be approx. 15cm forward of the CG. Would this have a noticeable effect on the stabilization ?
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:21 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
No. It should be fine.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:22 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Dec 2009
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterInVegas View Post
Yes

Last update? Its was in the G5 firmware from the beginning.

Will apparently we have a difference in opinion. I never said that everyone should do this particular practice. If you actually read the context in which my statements are made, you would have seen that this is a solution to having return to home and fly by wire available at the same time without having to do a mix. Some radios don't allow a throttle mix with a switch. In this case the way I do it, is perfectly fine. The major confusion in the interpretation, comes from the description "wide open throttle". When fail safe comes on, the motor is never at wide open throttle. On my plane, which does 38A at wide open throttle, actually runs at 6.5A when return to home is activated.

Now let's think about this for a second, how do you get to return to home? (my way) The throttle stick already has to be at 90 percent. So the motor, under my control, is already nearly wide open. When you go past 95 percent, the motor instantly drops down 6.5 amps.

Now about you having unsecured planes that are plugged in and alarmed flying around in your work area, this is something that cant happen in my work area because I don't take a lackadaisical approach to safety in my shop. If a plane is about to be armed, guess what? It is secured so it cant move. That's probably one of the differences between you and I.

See, my FPV plane sits, locked in a cradle with a sandbag in the base. It is in this cradle at all times, whether in my shop, or while being transported. It only comes out of the cradle to be put on the ground when I'm ready to fly. While in this cradle, the plane cant move at wide open throttle.

And about your stupid comment about bumping the trim down to activate fail safe, this goes back to you not paying attention to the context in which we are discussing this feature. Again to clarify for you, I was talking about having the ability to activate return to home using the throttle while in flight. My comment about the low trim was being able to have to fail safe set close enough to zero throttle to activate in the air. To do this, you'd have to have the receiver trimmed just above RTH, and trim down to activate return to home. In this context, that would be dangerous. This is the low throttle danger I was speaking of. You're talking about just fail safe in general, which in that context, you would be correct. Fail safe only, would be much better suited to low throttle settings versus a high throttle settings. This is common sense and all RC flight. This is one of many reasons my plane is always in its cradle at all times. Again I do things in a very safe manner. Not only my FPV plane, but all my plans are treated with extreme caution at all times. This is one of the discernible differences between you and I, I never had a plane takeoff of my table, unlike you. Unless you understand exactly what I'm talking about, you really shouldn't comment.
It seems you have failed to understand. I do not use trim to activate RTH. I use a switch. I also never said I had an airplane fly off a table you just assumed that. It actually happened to a friend that ended up with stitches.

Your right though, we have two different methods to accomplish the same task. Only the way you do it has more potential for disaster than a throttle being pulled back below off. One is safer than the other bottom line. I have been in this hobby for more than 30 years and have seen just about everything. Does that make me an expert? No. But it has taught me the importance of safety. If you can't understand that there is nowhere else this conversation can go.
avropilot is offline Find More Posts by avropilot
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:37 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Dec 2009
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double View Post
How crucial is it to mount the RVOSD on the CG? Ive got a 1.4m flying wing and the easiest place to mount the unit would be approx. 15cm forward of the CG. Would this have a noticeable effect on the stabilization ?
Having the unit installed closest to the pivot pont (CG) is the most ideal but not absolutely necessary. Anywhere close will work for you just fine.
avropilot is offline Find More Posts by avropilot
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:30 PM
Beyond the BlackStump
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2006
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Sounds to me like the dragon link radiates into the GPS. You may want to relocate the GPS reciver.

Markus
Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, you were right. I didn't need to move the GPS but from your info I discovered that the antenna cable was running alongside the GPS cable in the Rx bay and as soon as I moved things around in there it started working again

Keen to get flying today but it's currently 43C here so I think my poor Radian may melt like Ikarus...
Macattaka is offline Find More Posts by Macattaka
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:23 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-plater View Post
Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, you were right. I didn't need to move the GPS but from your info I discovered that the antenna cable was running alongside the GPS cable in the Rx bay and as soon as I moved things around in there it started working again

Keen to get flying today but it's currently 43C here so I think my poor Radian may melt like Ikarus...
Glad I could help. Regarding the 43C, come over here with your Radian, you can subtract 40 degrees C so it will definately not melt....

I'm so jealous. I hate this freaking winter....

M
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:38 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
Alistair you WIMP! I was out today at Hallett Cove with the sea breeze. It was hot (40c) but ok. Put on a hat and sunscreen and toughen up, ladies....
Old Jan 01, 2012, 05:26 PM
Beyond the BlackStump
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2006
317 Posts
LOL, I sat the Radian in the shade of the vehicle to allow sensors to come up to temp last night and when I turned everthing on and looked at the screen....

Macattaka is offline Find More Posts by Macattaka
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:18 PM
Joined May 2009
801 Posts
[...
Aussie Pete is offline Find More Posts by Aussie Pete
Last edited by Aussie Pete; Jun 16, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 01:46 AM
team n00b - captain
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2011
158 Posts
in flight menu - servo travel

I'm sure this is something simple, but how do I stop the servo travel while I'm navigating the in-flight menu? (testing this on the bench, not in the air)
gitcho is online now Find More Posts by gitcho
Old Jan 02, 2012, 01:54 AM
team n00b - captain
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2011
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double View Post
Was waiting for someone to say this and its the simple solution. The only thing I dont like about this is the delay, it takes about 5 seconds to regain control when the radio is switched back on.
I have throttle cut on my MIX1 switch ("hold" on the top right) for my DX8 ... it effectively sets the throttle to negative 120% - could this be used for RTH?
gitcho is online now Find More Posts by gitcho
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:22 AM
You can't take the sky from me
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jun 2006
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitcho View Post
I have throttle cut on my MIX1 switch ("hold" on the top right) for my DX8 ... it effectively sets the throttle to negative 120% - could this be used for RTH?
Yes, thorttle cut is the simplest way. To be true, it's better to set throttle failsafe point to cca -110%, so pressing the switch (to -120%) will safely turn on RTH...
Rastislavko is offline Find More Posts by Rastislavko
Old Jan 02, 2012, 07:18 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete View Post
Just got back from several days up the river near Swan Reach.
Temp...45 degree's in the arvo.....in the morning ...just perfect.
On thermal grabbed my std radian and in around 15 seconds was at the limit of sight....boomer lift...lucky to get it back.
Going back in a couple of days with the maxi sport.....ready to go out & back....with these thermals and long range fpv should have a ball.
....Pete
Hi Pete.
I had similar fun at Mt Terrible on Sunday. It was godawful hot but the lift was INSANE. Massive sink interspersed with patches of lift up to 8ft/sec. I maxed at 1600' above launch, but had to bail as I was drifting out of video coverage.
Good luck with your out and return. It would be a challenge if you have any wind, as you will be heading out downwind and facing a headwind coming back. Need to make sure your altitude leaves you within gliding distance at first .
Still waiting on my wings for the Eclipse rebuild.
Cheers
Frank
Old Jan 02, 2012, 07:59 AM
I love the smell of elapor....
Setauket, New York
Joined Oct 2009
306 Posts
love to see the Aussie boys fpv-ing it up in super hot Australian summer weather......its 36 (F) degrees here in New York, but i fpv'd this morning...lemme tell you, cold hands, but great for the electronics!...no need to worry about hot esc's and vtx's here!!!! enjoying reading your posts - happy new year everyone
MaximumBob is offline Find More Posts by MaximumBob
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:42 PM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,331 Posts
Hey guys, I need help wiring this new plane, I have attached the schematics. I am not sure about Ailerons and V-Tail connections?
metalfred is offline Find More Posts by metalfred