HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:48 PM
Registered User
flydown's Avatar
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,018 Posts
Was flying my Walkera V200D01 today and had a ground strike which broke one main blade and stripped a few teeth on the main gear. I reinstalled a new main blade and tried a little hovering inside the house this evening.
My question is am I running any risk flying it with the main gear missing a few teeth though it seems to hover OK?
(I am still a newbie when it comes to helicopters)
flydown is online now Find More Posts by flydown
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:05 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post
Was flying my Walkera V200D01 today and had a ground strike which broke one main blade and stripped a few teeth on the main gear. I reinstalled a new main blade and tried a little hovering inside the house this evening.
My question is am I running any risk flying it with the main gear missing a few teeth though it seems to hover OK?
(I am still a newbie when it comes to helicopters)
Yes. I would take a break from flying and order some main gears soon.

Here is why..

1.) The motor pinion will eventually chew on the teeth that are on each side of the missing teeth. The main gear will begin to slip. The pinion gear may also start to become worn from the mis-match of teeth.
2.) Because the tail is a direct drive off of the main gear, the slipping main gear will cause the tail to spin at uneven speeds. This could cause a spin-out.
3.) The missing teeth will also damage the tail drive gears in a short time.

The above problems may happen all at once while in a hover, resulting in a crash. Then, you'll have bigger problems. I'm sorry to give you the bad news but, I've been there several times before and pushed my luck too far.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:36 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
Hello I recently purchased a v200d01 and the fine teeth on the main gear like to strip . So I spoke to ly machinist. Friend and he is going to make me gears out of a plastic that has a lot of qualities of steel basically just harder than Teflon and stronger. Is anyone interested in purchasing. The new improved main gear after I test them ?
dfslider63 is offline Find More Posts by dfslider63
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:09 PM
Moving Parts
ChopperJack's Avatar
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,426 Posts
Disraeli gears or was that derailler gears?

Anyway, here is what someone needs to come up with. This sized heli needs a main gear that slips on the shaft like the Blade main gears do. If you own a Blade mCP X, you will likely never replace the main gear even though you might crash it a dozen times a day.

I once had the gear mesh on the V200D01 set so the pinion engaged the main fairly deeply but didn't overload the motor. The main gear survived several crashes. I would be interested to see what you come up with and whether it would adversely affect the motor and/or the little brass pinion and whether it would be any easier to remove and install.

I'm replacing my motor right now because it has developed a vibration which I suspect to be a bad bearing. I would be curious to know if HeliGriff has a method for removing the pinion from the shaft of this motor - can't replace bearings without pulling the pinion.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:39 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post

I would be curious to know if HeliGriff has a method for removing the pinion from the shaft of this motor - can't replace bearings without pulling the pinion.
You called?

Remember that stripped main gears saves other, more costly, parts! I wouldn't look for any safety clutches that "save the gears" anytime soon. The heli manufacturers are in the business of selling parts, not saving them. Making harder-toothed gears may actually be a bad idea. Again, if the main gear doesn't strip out, the tail gears will. If the tail gears won't strip out, the servo gears will. Personally, I'd rather pop in a $3 main gear and go fly, than to replace all that other stuff!

Okay, the last time that I pulled the pinion off a V200D01 motor was tricky. No gear puller I've seen is small enough. I ended up clamping a piece of flat steel to the workbench with part of the steel over-hanging the edge of the bench. I placed the pinion on top of the steel and lightly tapped on the motor shaft until the top of the pinion was even with the top of the shaft. With the pinion still on the edge of the steel plate, I then I took a pair of needle nose pliers and placed them on the motor with the jaws on each side of the shaft. Tap lighty on the pliers until the motor drops out of the pinion. There are 1000 better ways to do this but, that's all of the tools I had at the time.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:43 PM
Owner1
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Mar 2011
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfslider63 View Post
Hello I recently purchased a v200d01 and the fine teeth on the main gear like to strip . So I spoke to ly machinist. Friend and he is going to make me gears out of a plastic that has a lot of qualities of steel basically just harder than Teflon and stronger. Is anyone interested in purchasing. The new improved main gear after I test them ?
I would be willing to try these. Without any knowledge of their durability, I will commit to 2 gears at $10.00 each, plus actual shipping costs. I am a machinist by training and I know it's a lot of work to make a gear, so you will probably need a number of takers to make it worthwhile.

Fwiw, I rarely strip gears any more but it would still be nice to have a more durable main gear.

Owner1
Owner1 is offline Find More Posts by Owner1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:54 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owner1 View Post
I rarely strip gears any more but it would still be nice to have a more durable main gear.

Owner1
As we all get better at flying, we'll strip gears less and less often. When I first started flying, I stopped counting at 33+ gears I had replaced. I'm sure that I doubled that number my first year. Today, I seldom strip gears unless it's a major crash.

Hang in there guys! It does get better, I promise!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Last edited by HeliGriff; Nov 18, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:57 PM
Moving Parts
ChopperJack's Avatar
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
As we all get better at flying, we'll strip gears less and less often. When I first started flying, I stopped counting at 33+ gears I had replaced. I'm sure that I doubled that number my first year. Today, I seldom strip gears unless it's a major crash.

Hang in there guys! It does get better, I promise!
+1 me too.

Regarding pinion gear removal, I decided it would be better to just order a motor. It doesn't appear Walkera intended for the motor to be servicable. Like you mentioned, they are in the business to sell parts - the more the better!
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:03 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
+1 me too.

Regarding pinion gear removal, I decided it would be better to just order a motor. It doesn't appear Walkera intended for the motor to be servicable. Like you mentioned, they are in the business to sell parts - the more the better!
Good plan. If it is wobbling or vibrating, it's better to spend the money and get a new one anyway.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:32 PM
Moving Parts
ChopperJack's Avatar
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Good plan. If it is wobbling or vibrating, it's better to spend the money and get a new one anyway.
Roger that! You nailed it - wobbling and vibrating. $18 from HeliDirect if I can get the check out thing to work.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:22 PM
Registered User
Adrnln Jnke's Avatar
Joined Nov 2012
73 Posts
Hey guys, been reading through the forums a lot while my v200 is down.
I had a nasty crash a while back, I flew into the sun blinding myself then flying the bird directly into the pavement from about 20 ft up. Broke the battery frame and landing gear. While waiting for parts I decided I would try and repair that broken frame with super glue and some other stuff. The tape on the RX is worn and so it is now held on by lacing tape (fancy eletrical string). I was able to get the heli in air today but is VERY unstable. Acft wants to kinda flop around. I am at a loss here, I only had the bird for a few days before smashing it into the ground. Should I just wait till the new battery frame arrives and get new double sided tape for the RX before I try to troubleshoot? I dont know where to start.

Thanks for any advise
Adrnln Jnke is offline Find More Posts by Adrnln Jnke
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:08 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrnln Jnke View Post
Hey guys, been reading through the forums a lot while my v200 is down.
I had a nasty crash a while back, I flew into the sun blinding myself then flying the bird directly into the pavement from about 20 ft up. Broke the battery frame and landing gear. While waiting for parts I decided I would try and repair that broken frame with super glue and some other stuff. The tape on the RX is worn and so it is now held on by lacing tape (fancy eletrical string). I was able to get the heli in air today but is VERY unstable. Acft wants to kinda flop around. I am at a loss here, I only had the bird for a few days before smashing it into the ground. Should I just wait till the new battery frame arrives and get new double sided tape for the RX before I try to troubleshoot? I dont know where to start.

Thanks for any advise
Get some Scotch 411 double sided tape. Home Depot, and Ace HW has it. The gyro is very sensitive to Vibration/Motion so you need to stick it in place.
clearprop88 is offline Find More Posts by clearprop88
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:23 PM
Registered User
Adrnln Jnke's Avatar
Joined Nov 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
Get some Scotch 411 double sided tape. Home Depot, and Ace HW has it. The gyro is very sensitive to Vibration/Motion so you need to stick it in place.
Thanks for the advise......I forgot to mention that I am in Afghanistan and simple stuff is HARD to come by, especially a Home Depot. I will have a look around here for some double sided tape. Thanks, didnt realize that it would have made a differance.
Adrnln Jnke is offline Find More Posts by Adrnln Jnke
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:02 PM
my mental eXcape!
HeliGriff's Avatar
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrnln Jnke View Post
Hey guys, been reading through the forums a lot while my v200 is down.
I had a nasty crash a while back, I flew into the sun blinding myself then flying the bird directly into the pavement from about 20 ft up. Broke the battery frame and landing gear. While waiting for parts I decided I would try and repair that broken frame with super glue and some other stuff. The tape on the RX is worn and so it is now held on by lacing tape (fancy eletrical string). I was able to get the heli in air today but is VERY unstable. Acft wants to kinda flop around. I am at a loss here, I only had the bird for a few days before smashing it into the ground. Should I just wait till the new battery frame arrives and get new double sided tape for the RX before I try to troubleshoot? I dont know where to start.

Thanks for any advise
Ditto. The gyro must be vibration free.
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:04 PM
Registered User
Adrnln Jnke's Avatar
Joined Nov 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
Ditto. The gyro must be vibration free.
I was able to find some double sided tape, but heli was still all over the place. The Battery frame is still broken pretty good so I think ill just wait till the new frame comes in and ill try it again. It takes about 10-12 days to get stuff here in the mail. so one good crash can lead to a loooong down time.
Adrnln Jnke is offline Find More Posts by Adrnln Jnke
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion V200D01 Walkera 200 size FBL FP, yep another newy! Ampdraw Micro Helis 143 Apr 23, 2011 01:42 AM
Mini-Review Walkera UFLY helicopter mini review ehirobo Micro Helis 8 Jan 16, 2011 08:21 PM
Discussion NE Free Spirit or Walkera V200D01 JHawk19 Micro Helis 11 Jul 19, 2010 11:53 PM
Discussion SNEAK PEAK Walkera 7.4v 2S Flybarless 4#6 (V200D01) Z06 Tony Micro Helis 0 Jun 25, 2010 09:34 AM
Discussion Walkera 52#1 Mini Review Swilson50 Micro Helis 0 Apr 05, 2007 12:19 AM