HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:46 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
Build Log
Wicked Powered Banana Hobby JPower 50mm F-86

This is the build thread for my JPower 50mm F-86. The kit arrived today so will post photos tomorrow.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Aug 06, 2011 at 01:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:25 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
The F-86 pieces!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:11 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
I'm here..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Mar 29, 2010, 08:06 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
This is the build thread for my JPower 50mm F-86. The kit arrived today so will post photos tomorrow.

Don
Don, among changes on the F-86, are you planning on doing a nip and tuck of some sort on that super-large inlet? I just bought one myself.
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Mar 29, 2010, 08:08 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Quote:

Don
Don, I have a 56mm Hyperflow EDF with a DonsRC Wicked 5400 KV which I used on my RCPowers EDF conversion during testing. How crazy would it to be to retro-fit that set-up on the F-86? Thoughts?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:55 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
I will be doing a nip and tuck. I plan to power this with a 4S1800 lipo and he Wicked 4800 motor. The area where the fan mounts has lots of foam to allow a larger fan.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:26 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,653 Posts
A 4s battery is thick enough that it will need to drop down into the ducting. Any thoughts on this yet?
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:17 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodriven View Post
A 4s battery is thick enough that it will need to drop down into the ducting. Any thoughts on this yet?
You beat me to the question...I've got the F-86, and the stock battery, from what I can see, is about as big as you can get, without carving the canopy out, and going down into the ducting.
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:33 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
How to fit a 4S lipo into the F86!

Here is how I got the 4S 1800 lipo to fit. The foam on the floor of the cockpit area is thickest near the back then thins out as you go forward. However there is enough foam to remove if you have a pack 1" thick or less. I used my dremel green stone wheel (about 1" diameter) and started to remove the foam away. I put my finger on the bottom side (in the duct) while hogging out the foam and you can get a feel of how thin the foam is getting. Once completed the lipo fits in and the canopy fits on right over with no issues. I am going to add a reinforcement to stiffen up the floor a little, something like 1/64 or 1/32 ply. I may either place it inside the floor or on the opposite side in the duct. Not sure yet that is tomorrows project!

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:52 PM
Joined Apr 2008
62 Posts
Quote:
Here is how I got the 4S 1800 lipo to fit. The foam on the floor of the cockpit area is thickest near the back then thins out as you go forward. However there is enough foam to remove if you have a pack 1" thick or less. I used my dremel green stone wheel (about 1" diameter) and started to remove the foam away. I put my finger on the bottom side (in the duct) while hogging out the foam and you can get a feel of how thin the foam is getting. Once completed the lipo fits in and the canopy fits on right over with no issues. I am going to add a reinforcement to stiffen up the floor a little, something like 1/64 or 1/32 ply. I may either place it inside the floor or on the opposite side in the duct. Not sure yet that is tomorrows project!

Don
Looking good Don!
cch1978 is offline Find More Posts by cch1978
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:29 AM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
852 Posts
Quote:

Don
wow, nice work squeezing that battery in there Don. And i though i was cleaver to squeeze a 1300mah 3 cell in mine LOL
BTW, mine, my brothers, and my dads were all tail heavy stock setup, had to add about 20 grams forward of the battery to balance right, about 105 grams total Lipo + weight.

this jet is kind of a dog stock compared to the others, i bet yours will be a real screamer
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Old Mar 31, 2010, 06:56 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher41 View Post
this jet is kind of a dog stock compared to the others, i bet yours will be a real screamer
No kidding. The BH video makes it look like it's actually fast, but a local guy has one and it really isn't. I'm anxiously awaiting the results of Don's build here as I like the plane and would love to see what he can do with it.
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Mar 31, 2010, 07:11 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher41 View Post
wow, nice work squeezing that battery in there Don. And i though i was cleaver to squeeze a 1300mah 3 cell in mine LOL
BTW, mine, my brothers, and my dads were all tail heavy stock setup, had to add about 20 grams forward of the battery to balance right, about 105 grams total Lipo + weight.

Good info on the tail heavy weight and lack of power. As noted earlier, I'm going to shoe-horn in a 56mm Hyperflow, powered by Don's Wicked 5400kv, which should provide good power. Once I figure out what battery I will go with, I'll move the EDF/motor forward as necessary.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:15 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
What is the best 3S setup on this bird? I don't need ballistic, yet anyway..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:25 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
The Wemo Wicked 5400 combo is about 250-280 watts which is a nice boost over the 150 watts of the stock system.

Don
RCG Plus Member