SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 17, 2001, 12:27 AM
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
70 Posts
New SP400 Racing Class

Hey Guys

I got together with friend Mark Allen, and we put together a SP400 "spec" class aimed at first timers and scratch builders. Our goal was to make it easy to build and cheap. Many people I have talked to are shy of either paying 100+ for a plane or are just plain scared of how fast they are. The rules are based loosely around the ic Quickie 500 concept. Tell what you think.

Quick-E 150

1. 150 Sq.In. minium, 7/16" minimum thickness constant chord wing. You may use any tip you like as long as it fits into the size constraints.
2. 30" maximum, 28" minimum span.
3. 5" minimum, 5 5/16" maximum chord.
4. Wood and Foam only with iron on covering.
5. Firewall 1 1/4" square minimum. After the firewall you may use a block to fair into the spinner if you wish.
6. Fuselage must be 1 1/2" x 2" at largest point. Max. width and height do not need to occur at the same point.
7. 1/8" max. radius on all corners.
8. No fillets (ie wing to fuse, tail to fuse)
9. 7 cells, no red AR's
10. APC 4.75x4.75 prop 6v motor (no rocket 4.8's)
11. 16 oz. min.,20 oz. max.
12. 10 lap heats, novices run 9 laps aginst experts 10. Novices will be bumped up after 3 heat wins.

There are a few of these planes already being built and we will fly this class at our next NorCal race.

Get building!

Red
P.S. I will have laser cut kits as soon as flight testing is complete!
lownverted is offline Find More Posts by lownverted
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2001, 01:28 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
Sounds fun Red,

Too bad I'm so danged far from you guys! Nobody to fly with around here, and I'm too busy on weekends to go anywhere... grumble, grumble...

I know that the speed is adictive (I've already been bitten) but there is a huge difference between a simple 400 and a stinger 400... nut just in top speed but in stall speed as well. An introductory "spec class" might be a really good idea.

I hope it "takes off!"
-David
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old Apr 17, 2001, 10:10 AM
Vacaville, CA USA
Joined Nov 2000
355 Posts
Good idea....

Much better destroying something cheap and simple...I'm good at that
By specifying a minimum fuselage even people that just have "medium - sized" micro servos can play along.....
As far as the battery goes...I would restrict that a little more...if I built really light I could use the green 800 AR's (not that I have any) which are bound to deliver much better even at just 10 Amps than the 600 AE's people use now.....(and I don't want to have to get 800's)
What do you think?
berniep1 is offline Find More Posts by berniep1
Old Apr 17, 2001, 10:31 AM
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
70 Posts
Yeah I think it has the potential to be a great and widespread event.

As far as the green AR's go the idea was to give everbody an even chance with available equipment. In order to use the 800's it would mean moving the aileron servo(s) to the wing to make room for the batts. If you can do this and still make weight go ahead!! Thats the whole idea...let people experiment.

Red
Old Apr 17, 2001, 10:54 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,583 Posts
Red,

How about spinner? I assume no fairing around the motor? What about 5 x 5 APC or CAM?

What will the laser cut kit includes?

Brian
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Apr 17, 2001, 10:55 AM
Vacaville, CA USA
Joined Nov 2000
355 Posts
How 'bout a flying wing? That should qualify, right...since no fuselage length is given?!?
Old Apr 17, 2001, 10:56 AM
Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
Joined Mar 2001
70 Posts
I must say I like the concept of "formula" racing. What type of course do you fly? Length?three pylon or two etc. By limiting the battery to only, say 600 mah you automatically eliminate the 480's with their higher current draw.The Brits went through the design process many years ago and found that modified motors couldn't fly long enough to finish a race. It all boils down to design and management of the materials allowed. As to the fuselage size, micro servos are now readily available at a reasonable price. I even use HS205's in my Club Racer Q500. Here in Canada that amounts to a $400 flight pack. Maybe I can get this kind of thing happening up here.
Good Luck.
PeteC is offline Find More Posts by PeteC
Old Apr 17, 2001, 11:17 AM
Vacaville, CA USA
Joined Nov 2000
355 Posts
Yet another question...the size of the fire wall is given...but does it have to be before the motor or not? (slimer engines are usually mounted in front of the fire wall -- that would give a much smoother transition if applied here...)
Old Apr 17, 2001, 11:48 AM
Vacaville, CA USA
Joined Nov 2000
355 Posts
I'm at work otherwise I'd start building right now....when's the next race???
Old Apr 18, 2001, 12:12 AM
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
70 Posts
yes a flying wing would be legal as long as it fit the size constraints.

The firewall is considered the flat plate that the motor is bolted into from, behind. Yes a spinner is legal but the fire wall must be square with a max. 1/8" radius.

The laser cut kits will include all alser cut wood, CAD drawn planes and precut foam wing core. Target price is $40.

Get building!
Red
Old Apr 18, 2001, 12:14 AM
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
70 Posts
yes a flying wing would be legal as long as it fit the size constraints.

The firewall is considered the flat plate that the motor is bolted into from behind. Yes a spinner is legal but the fire wall must be square with a max. 1/8" radius. You can do whatever you want to after that.

The laser cut kits will include all alser cut wood, CAD drawn planes and precut foam wing core. Target price is $40.

Get building!
Red
Old Apr 18, 2001, 08:18 AM
Vacaville, CA USA
Joined Nov 2000
355 Posts
Me again....what about the wing tip? You said any wing tip is OK as long as it "fits into the size constraints"...does that mean I could apply a 5" radius at the wing tip (essentially ending up with a LE edge that is 10" shorter than the trailing edge)? And can the wing tip be tapered (rounded) at the top and the bottom of the airfoil (instead of having it absolutely square), thus violating the thickness requirement? Would you consider the above still to be legal? Maybe you should restrict the length that the wing tip can occupy to 2" on each side....

Sorry -- I know I'm asking too many questions...just trying to make sure.

Thanks,

Bernie
Old Apr 18, 2001, 09:45 AM
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
70 Posts
Sorry I left that out of the original post! You are allowed 1" on each side for wingtip shape. It still falls under the span rules. Any rounding is confined to the 1" tip only.

Red
Old Apr 20, 2001, 10:34 AM
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
70 Posts
Any one building yet? Two should be flying by next weekend. I'll try to figure out how to post some pics.
Later
Red
Old Apr 20, 2001, 11:08 AM
Reno, NV, USA
Joined Mar 2001
47 Posts
Looks like fun, when can I get a kit?, How about another race next month?
kormak is offline Find More Posts by kormak