SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2013, 10:30 AM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Sep 2011
200 Posts
Discussion
Spitfire scratch build

Always wanted to build a spitfire, but up until now i could never find a decent full fuse plan. Then i came across a spit build on flitetest.com, they used foam board what we call in the u.k poster board. The paper skinned stuff, which i find too fragile. So i decided to make it out of 6mm, 5mm and 3mm epp, modifying it a bit by adding stiffening braces in the wing internal and external and double skinning the first 2/3rds of the fuze length. The plan called for single skin on wing tips but i doubled it to add stiffness. They also use a swappable power pod, but i double skinned my fuse and installed the electrics in the normal way. Took about a week to build and maidened a few days ago a bit hairy until trimmed but then flew fine. Now she's a proven flier i will get down to adding some detail, canopy, radiator and paint job etc.
The plans are adobe pdf format and i printed them at 92% which gave me wing halves of 500mm when joined giving 1 metre wingspan.
Below are a few pics of the maidened model awaiting paint etc.
p.s strange that there aren't loads of scratch plans for this iconic plane that everybody seems to love?

Original build plan. http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-spitfire-build
brianvc is online now Find More Posts by brianvc
Last edited by brianvc; Dec 09, 2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: update build
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2013, 10:54 AM
Joined Feb 2013
56 Posts
Good work! I've never scratch built a foamie but I've been looking at flitetest's stuff for months to find a good starting point. I may just get to a Spit this winter!
TrojanMan is offline Find More Posts by TrojanMan
Old Dec 05, 2013, 12:41 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvc View Post
p.s strange that there aren't loads of scratch plans for this iconic plane that everybody seems to love?
perhaps because everyone is running after a p-51?

nice job on the plane. await the painted pics.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Dec 09, 2013, 12:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
200 Posts
scratch spit build

Have now made a canopy using acetate and this template,

http://flitetest.com/articles/spitfi...he-ft-spitfire

Didn't use the foam former just cut the template into 3 parts and hot glued it in place trimming the overlaps so as to cover with the insulation tape framework.
Not exactly spitfire replica but passable. The spit bubble canopy is beyond my fabrication skills.
Still trying to find the "sweet spot" for c.o.g and thrust angle at the moment, so wont be airbrushing just yet.
bvc
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:10 AM
Joined Sep 2011
200 Posts
scratch build spit

Well finally got round to finishing the paint job this week, just the decals to laquer before i stick them on then she's done! Already did the maiden and handling test a few weeks ago, so hopefully wont have any problems there. Although she's not a true scale model i think she captures the look of the spit and i'm quite pleased with the way she's turned out (planes are always female aren't they, why?) Re-did the front 2 sections of the canopy as it was slightly off centre and didn't look right. The spinner really completes the look, didn't look right without it even though i'd rather mount props with a prop saver. As its name suggests it saves an awful lot of props.
p.s will post 1 more pic when i've done the decals for the final look.
Merry Xmas everyone and keep "scratchin".
Brian.
Last edited by brianvc; Dec 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:17 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,076 Posts
Looks as good as a commerical one. Great work.
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Dec 23, 2013, 03:24 PM
Joined Sep 2011
200 Posts
scratch built spit

Well that's it finally complete just as the weather here in the U.K has turned wet and windy. The fields i fly will probably be waterlogged now for the next 4 months, typical. I'll just have to sit and look at her. Must remember to resist the urge to attempt some such silly manouvre too close to the ground! I always seem to do this at some point with my creations, this one's far too lovely to take home in pieces!
Brian.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 03:36 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,830 Posts
Nice job! I just finished one of those from the Flitetest kit. Built it light for indoor flying.
Gohmer is online now Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Dec 28, 2013, 05:53 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
787 Posts
Brian,

I have just built the FT version of the Spitfire and have the first coat of paint on the plane. Where did you get your decals that you used? Your plane looks great and I hope it flies as well as it looks!

Don

PS; I have been looking for .jpeg files for the decals and come up short. Any help would be appreciated.
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon
Old Dec 28, 2013, 08:03 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,727 Posts
Congratulations Brian; looks good.

Your thread title put me in mind of a somewhat higher wing loading 'scratch-build Spitfire' that I tried a couple of summers back:-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6921

... and an attempt at a more accurate rendering this last summer:-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9593
Plane Chaos is offline Find More Posts by Plane Chaos
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:42 AM
Joined Sep 2011
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdon View Post
Brian,

I have just built the FT version of the Spitfire and have the first coat of paint on the plane. Where did you get your decals that you used? Your plane looks great and I hope it flies as well as it looks!

Don

PS; I have been looking for .jpeg files for the decals and come up short. Any help would be appreciated.
I constructed them using photoshop as i couldn't find any online that weren't pixelated when taken to the correct size. I've attached the decals (no i haven't see next post) i made hope they save out for you at a reasonable clarity as i dont know what effect putting on this web page has on the originals. p.s i printed them on 80gsm matt photo paper then sealed them with hair spray and backed them with double sided tape. When applying to epp foam i sprayed the backs with carpet glue. The final stage was a water bases polyurethane varnish after they were fixed.
Brian.
Last edited by brianvc; Dec 29, 2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:46 AM
Joined Sep 2011
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Chaos View Post
Congratulations Brian; looks good.

Your thread title put me in mind of a somewhat higher wing loading 'scratch-build Spitfire' that I tried a couple of summers back:-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6921

... and an attempt at a more accurate rendering this last summer:-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9593
Brilliant you have a real talent and good eye there my friend.
Brian.
Last edited by brianvc; Dec 29, 2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:51 AM
Joined Sep 2011
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdon View Post
Brian,

Don

Nope doesn't work, loses clarity. If you care to private message me your email address i will attach them to the mail and you should find they print out at actual size. This forum page re-sizes attachments.
Brian.
Old May 03, 2014, 09:13 AM
Joined Sep 2011
200 Posts
The Spitfire just doesn't look the buisiness without a spinner, trouble is spinners always mount the prop solid and i break far too many mounted that way. So i've come up with this way of attaching a spinner on a prop that is mounted on a prop saver. First attach your prop saver to the motor shaft and tighten the screws to secure, I always add a little super glue to the shaft too and then slide on the prop saver cos the screws are pretty fine threads and strip easily. Next grind off any protruding shaft flush with the prop saver. Attach the prop to the saver using either the o-rings or as i do an ordinary rubber band wound back and forth over the prop several times. I find o-rings fail without warning too frequently. Now take the front cone of the spinner, you wont need the large round back plate or the washers. Drill a clearance hole in the front of the spinner to suit the self tapping screw you are going to use, also drill a hole thru the prop centre for the core diameter of the self tapper. Now all you do place the spinner on the prop and use the self tapping screw to secure it to the prop. You will need to grind or saw the self tapper to length so it doesnt bottom out on the motor shaft. Now when you belly land the prop will flex, but more importantly the spinner will move with it. Great, looks good and very few broken props. See pics.
Name: saver1.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 689.9 KB
Description: Name: saver2.jpg
Views: 21
Size: 766.6 KB
Description:
Old May 08, 2014, 04:00 AM
Joined Sep 2011
200 Posts
prop saver spinner mod

Just modified the method of fixing a spinner to a prop saver. I now put spacers between the prop and the spinner, enough to stand the spinner slightly off the prop and clear the rubber ring attaching the spinner to the prop. For the spacer I used the location rings that come with props making the last one added a good screw fit on the self tapper, then the screw, spinner and spacers stay together without falling off.
When the spinner is attached to the prop by simply screwing the self tapper into the centre hole of the prop, make sure the self tapper is just long enough to be flush with the recess in the back of the prop. Also the motor shaft should be flush with the front face of the prop saver. If either of these is not flush when you screw the spinner on it will push the assembly off causing off centre spinner/prop.