HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:38 AM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308jockey View Post
Oh yeah I almost forgot. I looked at the inside of the wings closely and with a flash light. It does have shear webbing but the grain is running in the wrong direction making it basically useless. Is that a big problem for this plane? The rest of the structure appears solid and I'm not concerned at the moment about wing failure. I know another flier who had one of these and flew it succesfully until he sold it. So far as I know it did not suffer a wing failure since then. It will be beyond annoying if I have to go into this wing and add new shear webbing.

Rick H.
It's a big problem for any plane that incorporates sheer webs in it's design. If it were mine, I would remove the wing's lower covering and add webbing in the correct orientation.
Da Big_G is online now Find More Posts by Da Big_G
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2014, 01:05 PM
Joined May 2011
72 Posts
I knew this couldn't be that easy. On another note, the hardware for aileron and elevators has one side as a left hand thread. It took a buddy of mine to make me see that and it is definitely NOT in the instructions.

Rick H.
308jockey is offline Find More Posts by 308jockey
Old Jan 22, 2014, 05:40 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,326 Posts
After reviewing the instruction manual, I decided to pass on this plane.
A few too many issues IMHO and there are other "value" planes out there.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Jan 23, 2014, 03:27 PM
Joined May 2011
72 Posts
So far it has gone together pretty well. None of the screws for the control horns are long enough but that has been the only issue once I re-discovered left hand threads. I beefed up the gear mounts a bit but the structure seems as good as any other of its type I've run into lately. I'm told I should put some bulkheads in the canopy as it is almost certain to crack and that will take some time but otherwise it is well on the way to being ready. Oh yeah, one of the attachment tabs on each stab broke. They've been re attached but a little glass is going to be added as a precaution.

Rick H.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 09:20 AM
Joined May 2011
72 Posts
The old thread from RCU got bumped up in the last day or so. I spent an hour or better reading it. Very informative. Definitely going to do the shear webbing.

Rick H.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:44 AM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
533 Posts
Looking for one of these right now. I don't mind doing the shear web repairs.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 07:39 PM
Joined May 2011
72 Posts
It's in stock now according to the website. Still at $290 plus shipping. They sent mine Greyhound. I couldn't track it but it got here just fine. Even with the shear web repair I think I'm still glad I got it.

Rick H.
Old Feb 05, 2014, 10:16 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,453 Posts
Looks like a good low budget practice model.
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Old Mar 23, 2014, 05:15 AM
Vertical Unlimited
Mandurah, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2007
534 Posts
Are you sure the shear webs are wrongly oriented? The grain on a shear web should run vertically, not along the wing.
Straight Up is offline Find More Posts by Straight Up
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:04 PM
Joined May 2011
72 Posts
I spent a good bit of time looking as I didn't want to add new shear webbing if I didn't have to but yes, it is oriented incorrectly.

Rick H.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 09:06 AM
Joined May 2011
72 Posts
bump
Old Apr 22, 2014, 08:47 AM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
533 Posts
I ordered one yesterday. Need to finish it before a contest in late June. On the fence whether to go 30cc gas (OS GT33) or electric. It seems the short term costs are a wash. I know the reliability of electric is good, but the long term cost of gas will be lower. Any opinions out there?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 02:25 PM
Joined May 2011
72 Posts
Mine has a YS 140 in it though I haven't flown it yet. Reports are that the 140 is plenty for this plane. If you are starting from scratch I'd say go electric. It comes with a mounting system for electrics and vibration will certainly be less. As for operating cost, there are nearly none for electric once you buy everything and running gas is almost as cheap. I'd worry more about vibration issues. Though I have a Hyde mount on mine and put the support in that Eric Henderson reccomended I'll still be keeping an eye on things to make sure it all stays together. That support is an easy addition. If you haven't recieved a tracking number in a day or two, call and ask for one. I waited a week to find out they hadn't actually shipped mine. After I called I recieved one within an hour via email. It was shipped Greyhound and their tracking system is useless but at least I knew it was on the way. Arrived in about 10 days in good shape. If you have all the gear you should be able to finish it in a week or 10 days. I added some glass to the tabs on the elevators as well as those that hold the wing in. I also located the wing tube about 1/8" aft of the most forward position which seems to be where most people placed it. I think I'm going to like this plane if I can ever get it out to the field. I'm already happy enough with it to consider another one if this one flies well. I will be replacing the wing tube with an aluminum unit just because another thread indicated the tube may be faulty. Not worth taking a chance on a possible catastrophic failure.

Rick H.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 02:36 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308jockey View Post
Mine has a YS 140 in it though I haven't flown it yet. Reports are that the 140 is plenty for this plane. If you are starting from scratch I'd say go electric. It comes with a mounting system for electrics and vibration will certainly be less. As for operating cost, there are nearly none for electric once you buy everything and running gas is almost as cheap. I'd worry more about vibration issues. Though I have a Hyde mount on mine and put the support in that Eric Henderson reccomended I'll still be keeping an eye on things to make sure it all stays together. That support is an easy addition. If you haven't recieved a tracking number in a day or two, call and ask for one. I waited a week to find out they hadn't actually shipped mine. After I called I recieved one within an hour via email. It was shipped Greyhound and their tracking system is useless but at least I knew it was on the way. Arrived in about 10 days in good shape. If you have all the gear you should be able to finish it in a week or 10 days. I added some glass to the tabs on the elevators as well as those that hold the wing in. I also located the wing tube about 1/8" aft of the most forward position which seems to be where most people placed it. I think I'm going to like this plane if I can ever get it out to the field. I'm already happy enough with it to consider another one if this one flies well. I will be replacing the wing tube with an aluminum unit just because another thread indicated the tube may be faulty. Not worth taking a chance on a possible catastrophic failure.

Rick H.
I tend to agree on the vibration thing. I already have several 6S/4000 and 4S/4000 packs, so I am at 10S now. Zippy 5S/5000 packs are around $40-$45 each...not too bad. I assume you pulled the covering to inspect the shear webs. Supposedly the plane has shipped 2nd day post office (they say). I just asked for a tracking #. Do you have a link to Eric's write-up? Gary
Old Apr 23, 2014, 08:23 AM
Joined May 2011
72 Posts
I don't know how to link directly to it but it's on RCU in the R/C pattern forum. I just bumped it. There is a lot there and a lot of complaining about shipping problems and so on but if you keep reading there is a lot of good information there including Eric's write up on it. He had a lot of good things to say about it.

Rick H.