HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:09 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Discussion
krylon paint?

Ok - I'm sure krylon isn't your first choice but....

Long ago I got a free clear fuselage for a 300 size when I ordered motors for my old walkera 4 FP trainer. It'd been sitting around unused for a while.

Weather in the norhwest sucks, I got bored, the fuse fits my old Ufly, so what the heck? I did some trimming, got it to fit as best I could, and figured I'd save money and just use some krylon rattle cans (red and navajo white) I already have. I decided to paint the inside, and my logic was tape off everything that will be white and paint the red areas. Then remove the tape and paint white over everything.
Red paint was about 2 weeks ago. Today we had sun and I put on white paint, The red paint bubbled and left white cracks. Should I not have sprayed white over red?
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:26 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,428 Posts
There is a good possibility that the paint doesn't stick properly to the body. You may have needed to use the paint they use for lexan on RC trucks and cars. The white paint most likely etched the read and cause it to lift or even spread apart. I would even guess that the paint may come right away from the areas you have painted without too much effort, but I could be wrong. Hope it works out.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:56 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
That's a real good possibilty. I did rough up the plastic a little with a white scotch pad before I painted. I should have also mentioned that this seam was one of the worst spots, but it did happen in the middle of the red tail fin where there was no seam.

In hindsight I probably shoulda got the right paint ( and that would have meant asking what the right paint was) instead of being cheap - but when it's a free POS fuse going on a discontinued FP heli that doesn't get flown much....

If nothing else, I learned a few things, and if you can learn for free it's a win, right?
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:04 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,428 Posts
You probably feel like the little guy in your avatar right now with the paint can being the ball, lol. Take care and as long as you have some enjoyment out of it, you do win.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:36 PM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
952 Posts
Hi Karlik: I've used krylon rattle can paint on plastic fuselages. Make sure the paint is for plastic though. Allso it's allways a good idia to paint darker colors over the lighter. If the plactic is not clean the paint will blister, and if one of the colors is not for plastic it will blister. Have fun. Ed
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:10 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Krylon paint is hit or miss depends on the batch. I have been using Krylon paint for several years and Im getting to the point that I need to find some new paint brand. Example: I can buy a can of black krylon spray paint and it spray out just fine, color would come out good and dark and then I can buy another black krylon spray paint and it will spray light causing me to have to spray many coats for the paint actually start to look black instead of dark charcoal grey . Recently I went to Freds(type of dollar store) and bought a cheap can of black spray paint and It sprayed much better and less coats than the name brand krylon paint. Its hit and miss also when spraying another color over a color it seems that you end up with the orange peeling/crinkling effect , two paints interacting. I find best results come by not spraying over another spray paint. And I also notice that these cheap masking tapes are hit or miss also.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk