HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:36 AM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Question
how do ya make a twin motor plane?

i want to make a thingy that has 2 motors but i have no idea how to, so could someone tell me?
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:01 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,463 Posts
Assuming you've already got some experience with a single-motor electric setup, it's simple. If you're using brushless motors, you get two of them and two of their controllers (ESCs), and then plug both the controllers into the throttle channel in your receiver so that they'll both accelerate at the same time. With normal ESCs, you disconnect the red wire out of one of their receiver plugs so that their built-in BECs won't conflict with each other. Then you plug both sets of battery leads into a battery that's twice the mAh capacity you'd need for a single motor.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:42 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
Assuming you've already got some experience with a single-motor electric setup, it's simple. If you're using brushless motors, you get two of them and two of their controllers (ESCs), and then plug both the controllers into the throttle channel in your receiver so that they'll both accelerate at the same time. With normal ESCs, you disconnect the red wire out of one of their receiver plugs so that their built-in BECs won't conflict with each other. Then you plug both sets of battery leads into a battery that's twice the mAh capacity you'd need for a single motor.
how do you plug both of the jr plugs into the receiver?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:54 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,395 Posts
With a Y-lead.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:00 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
77 Posts
Quote:
what's the main difference between one and two? more powerful and much speed?
Badbrother is offline Find More Posts by Badbrother
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:18 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
With a Y-lead.

Steve
i get it now thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:02 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbrother View Post
what's the main difference between one and two? more powerful and much speed?
Speed and power can remain the same, if you choose smaller motors for the twin.

But a twin does give you the opportunity to double your power, where perhaps a single larger motor would be impractical, not available, or use too many volts and/or amps. Two smaller motors does reduce the load on each individual motor, which can in some cases significantly reduce the size of ESC you need -- though you do need two of them, one for each motor (talking about brushless here).

In many cases though, twin motors are used simply because the full-size aircraft uses them, or for novelty value.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:19 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Speed and power can remain the same, if you choose smaller motors for the twin.

But a twin does give you the opportunity to double your power, where perhaps a single larger motor would be impractical, not available, or use too many volts and/or amps. Two smaller motors does reduce the load on each individual motor, which can in some cases significantly reduce the size of ESC you need -- though you do need two of them, one for each motor (talking about brushless here).

In many cases though, twin motors are used simply because the full-size aircraft uses them, or for novelty value.
i actualy wanted to make a hovercraft/swamp ski type thing.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:32 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,048 Posts
There is a forum that may have info on what you want to do regarding the hovercraft side -

RC Hovercrafts forum

and a search of the boat forums on 'air boat' should get you ideas on the forward power side.

Or an alternative would be the 'wing-in-ground-effect' model. Basically a very low flying model using the air cushion effect between a small wing and the ground. It could allow you to get rid of the hover motor.

Here's one thread I found, there are probably more -

Build Log of EPI-WIG. a WIG(wing in ground effect) vehicle.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:34 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,048 Posts
Here's another WIG thread -

Wig Hovercraft
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:31 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,241 Posts
Quote:
With normal ESCs, you disconnect the red wire out of one of their receiver plugs so that their built-in BECs won't conflict with each other.
I am building a twin motor plane and this is news to me. What's the solution, a single standalone BEC for two ESCs?
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:18 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,048 Posts
It is recommended that you don't run two BECs in parallel. So for a twin system, you just disconnect one of the BECs, here's how, it's quite simple and easily reversed -

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=3

What type of BEC to use could be down to how good the ESCs Bec is, and how many servos are being used.
Many ESC BECs are just basic low current linear devices. But they often work fine.
If selecting a stand alone BEC, it's recommended to go for a switching BEC, (often called an SBEC or UBEC).
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:38 PM
Joined Jul 2004
11,463 Posts
Just to add to post #12, if you decide to use a separate stand-alone BEC, you need to disable the built-in BECs in both ESCs for a twin.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:50 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,048 Posts
Quote:
Just to add to post #12, if you decide to use a separate stand-alone BEC, you need to disable the built-in BECs in both ESCs for a twin.
Thanks. I knew I would forget something

Now if I could only remember where I left it,.......and what it was.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:36 PM
Obeying the law of gravity
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colj00 View Post
how do you plug both of the jr plugs into the receiver?
you could also remove the black and white plugs and solder them into one servo plug so you don't need a y-lead
Jeremy Kamutzki is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Kamutzki