SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:20 AM
If it flies, I probably have 1
United Kingdom, Fauldhouse
Joined Mar 2014
1,238 Posts
Finally have GPS working

Good news guys,
i now have a working GPS mode, it done a solid 10 minute hands off hover and stayed within a few feet, happy with that
when i first took off it was still doing that annoying leaning thing, but i stayed with it, and in under a minute it had settled down to a clean hover, maybe it just starts off bad then gets better?
i gave the copper shielding another go, this time i fitted the puck inside a shipping tube lid (the perfect diameter) which i lined with copper, including up the sides, so only the top is exposed, that seems to have helped lots, got a much faster lock
i think also having my TM1000 basically right below it wont be helping, so probobly the copper is blocking its interfierence?

and i am happy that it can stay in the same location and doesnt really impact the good looks - a win win
not often i achieve that

thanks for all the advice guys
Scottish_steve75 is online now Find More Posts by Scottish_steve75
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:35 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish_steve75 View Post
Good news guys,
i now have a working GPS mode, it done a solid 10 minute hands off hover and stayed within a few feet, happy with that
when i first took off it was still doing that annoying leaning thing, but i stayed with it, and in under a minute it had settled down to a clean hover, maybe it just starts off bad then gets better?
i gave the copper shielding another go, this time i fitted the puck inside a shipping tube lid (the perfect diameter) which i lined with copper, including up the sides, so only the top is exposed, that seems to have helped lots, got a much faster lock
i think also having my TM1000 basically right below it wont be helping, so probobly the copper is blocking its interfierence?
and i am happy that it can stay in the same location and doesnt really impact the good looks - a win win
not often i achieve that
thanks for all the advice guys
I'm glad you stuck with it!
Many people swear by the copper shielding...
And you learned that the application of it is important.
I'm afraid the drift will be there on the NazaM Lite until it settles itself after takeoff.
Like I mentioned several posts back, in the day of that firmware's reign, we lived with it...
FWIW, I used to switch back and forth between GPS and Atti a few times, and it seemed to speed up the process...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Aug 22, 2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:10 AM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,276 Posts
Quote:
hi Mark
yes you are correct i do have the XT60 bellow, but it is central on the battery tray, its not really that close to the puck, surely a battery cant be that significant to a GPS? if so how do iphones and tablets work, they have a wopping great lipo (in comparison) right next to there gps and function fine - as i said seems in the RC world the manufacturers seem to produce crap and we just accept it

Hey Steve

One huge difference here is the amount of current. In a phone, everything operates at very low voltage and current measured in a few milliamps. In your quad you have considerably more voltage and hundreds of times more current. You also have huge amounts of un-filtered RFI from ESC's, VTx's, BEC's, etc. Add to this the fact that the phones system is fully optimized and shielded with respect to all the system components and their spacing and these components never move. Now imagine that DJI as well as the other RC product manufacturers have to give us components that will work in a much more extreme RFI and EMI environment and they have zero control over where or how we will place our components so nothing can really be optimized or completely shielded. They are not crap components, in fact given the price point and their level of reliability when set-up correctly, they are quite good (IMHO).

Glad you got it working! As TJ says the Lite seems to want to settle down after a bit. In my case with my Naza Lites on the first flight, I generally will set the bird down, plug in a "warm-up" battery and go about finishing my ground station set-up (or just BS with friends) while I wait a few minutes. I then plug in the flight battery and GO. It seems when I do this, it flys great almost immediately.

Cheers!
Mark
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
Old Aug 22, 2014, 01:21 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,715 Posts
TJ & Naza Lite

For the record, I've never flown a Lite.
But back in the day, I flew a great bit on the firmware the Lite uses...

Wow, we've come a long way!
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Aug 22, 2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 02:35 PM
Joined Mar 2014
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
Hey Steve

One huge difference here is the amount of current. In a phone, everything operates at very low voltage and current measured in a few milliamps. In your quad you have considerably more voltage and hundreds of times more current. You also have huge amounts of un-filtered RFI from ESC's, VTx's, BEC's, etc. Add to this the fact that the phones system is fully optimized and shielded with respect to all the system components and their spacing and these components never move. Now imagine that DJI as well as the other RC product manufacturers have to give us components that will work in a much more extreme RFI and EMI environment and they have zero control over where or how we will place our components so nothing can really be optimized or completely shielded. They are not crap components, in fact given the price point and their level of reliability when set-up correctly, they are quite good (IMHO).

Glad you got it working! As TJ says the Lite seems to want to settle down after a bit. In my case with my Naza Lites on the first flight, I generally will set the bird down, plug in a "warm-up" battery and go about finishing my ground station set-up (or just BS with friends) while I wait a few minutes. I then plug in the flight battery and GO. It seems when I do this, it flys great almost immediately.

Cheers!
Mark
Hey Mark, thanks for the comments, i think i may have been on my high horse last night, having a bit of a nark, but you kind of hit the nail on the head on the point i was trying to make, the phones are fully shielded, surely DJI should fully shield the inside of there case for FC and puck, but it doesnt matter, we got there in the end, and it was the end, i was just on the point of giving up on it as a bad experience...
Old Aug 22, 2014, 02:36 PM
Joined Mar 2014
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I'm glad you stuck with it!
Many people swear by the copper shielding...
And you learned that the application of it is important.
I'm afraid the drift will be there on the NazaM Lite until it settles itself after takeoff.
Like I mentioned several posts back, in the day of that firmware's reign, we lived with it...
FWIW, I used to switch back and forth between GPS and Atti a few times, and it seemed to speed up the process...
im reluctant to try that switching ting, as more than a couple of flicks puts it into compass calibration mode, i wouldnt want that in mid air, lol
i will just live with it being a bit skittish for a minute
Old Aug 22, 2014, 02:37 PM
Joined Mar 2014
1,238 Posts
Quote:
For the record, I've never flown a Lite.
But back in the day, I flew a great bit on the firmware the Lite uses...

Wow, we've come a long way!
probobly a dumb question, but could i not flash the v4.0 naza firmware to a lite? or would the lite not accept the full blown naza FW?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 02:46 PM
Joined Sep 2013
3,586 Posts
The lite has a locked firmware, it gets no updates, and definitely can't take the full Naza-m v2 firmware updates.
ElGuano is online now Find More Posts by ElGuano
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E600 Load Testing
Old Aug 22, 2014, 03:14 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,715 Posts
Quote:
im reluctant to try that switching ting, as more than a couple of flicks puts it into compass calibration mode, i wouldnt want that in mid air, lol
i will just live with it being a bit skittish for a minute
I'm not talking about the fast switching that starts compass calibration.
Take off in Atti
Switch to GPS
Observe drift for 5 sec
Switch to Atti (bring craft back to original point if necessary)
Observe no drift for 5 sec
Switch to GPS
See if things are stable...
Maybe repeat. (sometimes once would do it...)
That sort of procedure...
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: If You Don't See It Here...
Old Aug 22, 2014, 03:16 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuano View Post
The lite has a locked firmware, it gets no updates, and definitely can't take the full Naza-m v2 firmware updates.
That's why it's less expensive...

And, Scottish_steve75, I hope you're not finding out about all of this just now...
But you probably are, and your upgrade question was not dumb, more like innocent and uninformed...

Since your experience with us on the forums has been mostly positive, I'll bet you'll ask us ahead of time, next time...
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Aug 22, 2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:57 PM
Joined Mar 2014
1,238 Posts
Quote:
I'm not talking about the fast switching that starts compass calibration.
Take off in Atti
Switch to GPS
Observe drift for 5 sec
Switch to Atti (bring craft back to original point if necessary)
Observe no drift for 5 sec
Switch to GPS
See if things are stable...
Maybe repeat. (sometimes once would do it...)
That sort of procedure...
oh that makes more sense, i will have to try that next time i have the alien up
thanks TJ
Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM
United States, FL, Dunedin
Joined Jan 2013
1,136 Posts
Naza Gains

I recently built a Tarot 650 with a Naza V1/ GPS. I love it. It is a well made kit.
Power is 4830-420 Multistar motors and 14:5.6 props on 4S 8000 Zippy.
Test flights were over 30 min and I never got a low battery light. It is very stable.
I now have installed an upgraded motor mount
http://www.helipal.com/tl68b33-16mm-...amper-red.html
These mount on the very end of the arm and my 650 is now a 762.
My question is how much will this increase affect the gain settings on the Naza?
Or rather, should I expect to have to go thru test and tune for this increased length?
(Weather has been too crappy and actually smoking hot to try flying.)
Stitch1615 is offline Find More Posts by Stitch1615
Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM
Wooster OH
Joined Oct 2003
840 Posts
Flap switch problem

Equipment
TX DX7 RX 8R8000
Naza V1

Problem
I had flown this system successfully for several months. Then the receiver would not bind. Horizon Hobby replaced the RX.
Now Naza will not recognise TX/RX when the 3 way flap switch is not in the center. Orange light flashes continuously. Switch to center and it responds to commands.

I have checked the wiring repeatedly. I did not make a drawing of the wiring before disconnecting the RX thinking my documentation would show what I needed.One problem is that I cannot find a clear pictorial of wiring from Naza to RX.
In the center position it seems to work normally however without the features of the 3 way switch.
Thanks for your help.
GALENM is offline Find More Posts by GALENM