Closed Thread
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:13 PM
Cessna 25T clear for departure
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Mar 2011
217 Posts
Help!
AR8000 won't work without satellite

I just picked up a DX8 with Ar8000/TM1000.

I connected everything and all seems to work fine. I had the satellite disconnected and the receiver would not receive. I disconnected everything thinking there was some interference from the TM1000 that I taped to the side but still nothing.

I setup the AR8000 with a battery connected directly and 1 servo but still nothing. I can bind in this configuration but I do not get any servo movement until I have the satellite receiver attached. The battery is a LiFePo4 at 6.6v. That should not be an issue since the Spektrum site has the AR8000 rated 3.5-9.6v. The servos I use are Turnigy metal gear servos rated for 6v.

Any ideas? I'll call HH tomorrow but wanted to see if there is anything I am missing.
justindh is offline Find More Posts by justindh
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:25 PM
Chesterfield (St.Louis) MO
Joined Jan 2004
320 Posts
I think this is normal. I have the 7 channel receiver and the 9-channel receiver, but not your exact model. But I think the satellite receiver is REQUIRED in order for the 7 and 8 channel receiver to work at all. On the 9-channel receiver the manual says that at least two remote receivers are required and that is must be plugged in to port "A".
dmcquinn is online now Find More Posts by dmcquinn
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:30 PM
Joined Mar 2011
217 Posts
I was going to look in the manual but got side tracked. (RTFM, right?) I'll take a look before calling HH. If I don't find the info I know HH will either set me straight or fix the problem.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:15 AM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2010
336 Posts
My AR8000 requires the satellite to function.
horseflesh is offline Find More Posts by horseflesh
Old Nov 10, 2011, 06:46 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,646 Posts
Have you tried rebinding it without the sat? I know on some you can bind them without the sat and if you add one you have to rebind to get it to work.
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:14 AM
Joined Mar 2011
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
Have you tried rebinding it without the sat? I know on some you can bind them without the sat and if you add one you have to rebind to get it to work.
Yes, I tried binding w/o sat. It wouldn't work until I plugged the sat in.

I just looked at the manual and it talks about plugging the sat in and where to mount it but is does not say it is required.

I'll call HH and see what they say.

Thanks for the comments. I'll update with the official word when I get it.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:06 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,114 Posts
Save yourself some time. It's required. The only rx that supports a remote rx that doesn't require it is the AR7600/7610.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:51 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,645 Posts
Andy correct me if I am wrong, but the AR8000 among others will continue to function properly once linked and should the sat or cable FAIL?

Not wanting to link on start up without sat is a safety feature letting you know something is up right?
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:13 AM
Joined Mar 2011
217 Posts
Like I mentioned earlier... HH would set me straight. Thank you Andy.

It is probably unlikely but it seems like the system would completely fail if the sat wire were to break or become detached while in flight. This seems like a deficiency considering I could have a perfectly functioning battery and internal receiver that is prone to failure from losing the external receiver.

Edit: This is the same question/comment that Chip asked... I didn't read close enough.
Last edited by justindh; Nov 10, 2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:36 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,114 Posts
You need the remote to get things started, yes. Somewhere I posted about a "touch-and-go" my son did that disconnected the remote in the Habu. It continued to work just fine and he was able to land.

This is a safety feature - it will keep you from taking off with a degraded system, but once it connects it will continue to operate even if the system is degraded due to a disconnected remote receiver.

Ever wonder why we tell you to power cycle when you land?

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:12 AM
Joined Mar 2011
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
You need the remote to get things started, yes. Somewhere I posted about a "touch-and-go" my son did that disconnected the remote in the Habu. It continued to work just fine and he was able to land.

This is a safety feature - it will keep you from taking off with a degraded system, but once it connects it will continue to operate even if the system is degraded due to a disconnected remote receiver.

Ever wonder why we tell you to power cycle when you land?

Andy
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback.
Closed Thread