HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2011, 03:56 PM
United States, NJ, Mountain Lakes
Joined Apr 2010
122 Posts
Question
Hex Driver Recommendation

I'm looking for a good set of metric hex drivers from 1.5mm to 3mm. I'd like them to have hardened tips that are replaceable. And I'd like the handles to be different colors. In doing some searching online I found several sites that sold hex drivers that had replicable tips, but most of the time I couldn't find the replacement tips on the website, they only sold the driver set. Any recommendations?
Scott216 is offline Find More Posts by Scott216
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2011, 04:22 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Don't worry about replaceable tips, simply go to the hardware store and buy what you want.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old May 04, 2011, 07:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Here ya go. Not replaceable tips, but being hardened, they won't round over like the cheap stuff sold in most stores.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...2-2-5-3mm.html

Look around, you may find them cheaper. But with hex wrenches, you do get what you pay for.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 04, 2011, 08:28 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,090 Posts
I use du-bro ball drivers and I think they're great. I too had problems identifying which one was right, but I've since added a 1" sleeve of coloured heat-shrink to the shafts near the handle, for identification.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old May 04, 2011, 09:02 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Any quality Allen set (Hex Drivers) will be heat treated. Bondhus and Eklind both make good sets that will last a very long time, both make sets which have a ball driver on one end.
Last edited by Mode One; May 05, 2011 at 04:27 AM.
Old May 07, 2011, 08:20 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,786 Posts
The best Hex/Allen drivers I have ever owned are the 300 series from Wera. I have them at home in my garage and hobby room. We also use them on the assembly lines at my work. We have only ever had to replace the philips drivers, due to them just being worn out.

They offer both a hex and hex-ball drivers. I only use the straight hex drivers, as I want a good bite for maximum torque.

They are available individually from McMaster-Carr - they are handle option "C"

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-hex-drivers/=c78ckz

You can also get them from Chadstoolbox.com for much less, I've just never personally ordered from them.

http://chadstoolbox.com/05023105002w...ssd2x75mm.aspx

For the ball style drivers, you need to search by the part # listed on the Wera site.

http://www-us.wera.de/catalog_us.htm...eries_300.html

If you're looking for something a little less money, yet still a top industrial grade tool, Mcmaster has the line of Proto ball drivers as well. Still of excellent quality, just not of the level of Wera.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#ball-point-hex-drivers/=c78ati
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hemikiller; May 09, 2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old May 07, 2011, 01:45 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,167 Posts
I have various ball drivers, but I bought two sets of cheap folding Allen wrenches; in inch and in metric sizes. They have held up very well, and are easy to grab rather than looking for a proper wrench.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old May 07, 2011, 07:51 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,090 Posts
Blah, they never fit into the spaces I want them to though!

The Wera ones look good, to the do ball drivers as well?
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old May 11, 2011, 05:31 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I have the Bondus regular/ball L-shaped Allen sets, in both metric and standard in my flight box and at work I have two folding Eklund key sets in standard that I have had for 40 years and are still in excellent condition. These sets are very handy as they have all the wrenches contained in these easily carried sets. True, they do not work in every situation, but their handiness can't be denied!
Old May 15, 2011, 08:33 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
I have both Align and Wiha drivers. Both work very well and are well made.

At the prices, replaceable tips are not needed.

But the heli world has lots of very nice hardened drivers.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone