Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:39 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,950 Posts
Hey Roger. on post 1572 on the thread below you can seem my wing if you Max the picture window. The wing still feels stiff but I would rather fix it or replace it, especially if it is a failure risk. J

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...96945&page=105
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:41 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,950 Posts
Question - would fibre reinforced packing tape do the strengthening job well enough or would the lack of stiffening not be adequate ?? J
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:04 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,290 Posts
price yet?
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:00 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,647 Posts
fiber tape wont stiffen it enough . the wing looks like it was folded,or bent to cause the crease...does the spar feel broken ? .if the spar is not broken then to fix it you would need to add a layer of glass top and bottom(@2" wide) ....wont look very good ,and it will have a heavy wing ....might be best to ask Sky world for a new one.all my inperfectoins in the fuse got backed up by the glass i added today.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Apr 22, 2010, 01:35 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
price yet?
Not yet Scott. Were just investigating what it would take to make make this bird a winner. Since we are starting with a purchased airframe and modifying it. It may not be cost effective. Well know more as Roger reinforces and improves it, and makes some nice intake ducts.
The Airframe kit as it is now, is on our website for $235
Gary
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:15 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,929 Posts
Hey Rodger, the F-20 plan I drew up and gave you and CN a few years ago at Superfly looks to be almost the same size as this one, only .35" difference in length. The wings on mine were from the Janes 3 view so they're scale. There's your wing patterns, they should fit this bird. I put the bottom cutting template on the plan but not the top, but the airfoil is there. Looking back I see the templates need some additional drawing to account for skin thickness.

I see this thread and I want to finish my foam version, it's been sitting for 3 years unfinished.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:00 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,647 Posts
mod #1 add fiberglass

Thanks ED i'll have my "wing man" look into that he's moving this weekend so hopfully we can find the drawings.
I'm happy to report this morn that the fiberglass mod really did the trick to add stiffness to the fuse. i may add one more piece in the gear door area of the bottom fuse belly ,more on that as i sort out the retracts.
staring the fan mounting set up then on to the ducts.
hoping "Sky World" is following this and can just add some of these mods to there kit.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:16 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Waldrep View Post
Hey Rodger, the F-20 plan I drew up and gave you and CN a few years ago at Superfly looks to be almost the same size as this one, only .35" difference in length. The wings on mine were from the Janes 3 view so they're scale. There's your wing patterns, they should fit this bird. I put the bottom cutting template on the plan but not the top, but the airfoil is there. Looking back I see the templates need some additional drawing to account for skin thickness.

I see this thread and I want to finish my foam version, it's been sitting for 3 years unfinished.

Hi Ed,

May I have a copy of the Janes 3-view and anything else that would be helpful in building an accurate 3d model, if you have it handy.

Please forgive me if you think I am hijacking the thread but I have a wish for a long term project for a 90mm F-20. Always my favourite and never a good one available.
J
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:25 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,597 Posts
Your not hijacking at all J,
Any info you'd like to contribute would be helpful and welcome.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:09 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,950 Posts
Thanks Gazz.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:23 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,950 Posts
Just looking at C/N's wing changes.... can he just modify the LE and tips more to avoid any change at the root. It would probably get the same result and would be easier for guys like me that are more dangerous to themselves with a knife than the subject.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:14 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,647 Posts
well he was trying to get the LEX a bit smaller,and i was thinking of a new root rib to see if i could fatten up the wing for gear ,but i really want to do a new composite wing after we fly the stock one and also a hand made foam core wing to prove it befor i make tooling. Gary any word back from SW yet?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:29 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,597 Posts
Sorry Rodger. No.
Site Sponsor