SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 04, 2010, 01:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
25 Posts
Build Log
Jedi Fighter

Hi,
I designed this semi-profile plane to be like the Jedi starfighter from the 3rd movie. I'm building it now so I will post any fixes I do as I find them as well as center of gravity.
Here is a picture of how it should look assembled (Ignore the 33inch dimension, I've scaled it down to 27 in the plans) and some pdf plans.
thanks,
Bob
bobsiopener is offline Find More Posts by bobsiopener
Last edited by bobsiopener; Apr 13, 2010 at 02:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2010, 01:28 PM
Why yes, I am an R/C addict!
About 15 miles from Bristow, OK
Joined May 2009
650 Posts
Hmm, looks like it will be an interesting flyer!
flyrcehelis is offline Find More Posts by flyrcehelis
Old Mar 04, 2010, 01:51 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,206 Posts
I think something similar has been done before. Getting it balanced may be the tough part.
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Mar 04, 2010, 02:47 PM
Joined Jan 2010
25 Posts
I looked through the forum and did a search to make sure that I wasn't repeating what someone had done. I saw that user SGTalon has done alot of Starwars and StarTrek stuff but that he didn't have this one.
Hopefully it will be fun to fly, if not I'll just have to settle for fun to build

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
I think something similar has been done before. Getting it balanced may be the tough part.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 10:14 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,143 Posts
Hey Bob!!

You are correct this is one that i haven't done before. Somewhere on this website is a thread that has a LOT of Star Wars stuff. A few people did this one so i am sure you can find a good CG location to start out with.

Personally i would make it a prop in a slot style. Make it a lot easier to balance than a pusher and will make your control surfaces a LOT more responsive.

Check out my Landspeeder. I think right in the middle of the cockpit area would be the best place for the motor as a pusher set up so the weight is towards the front.

Looks nice though. Good luck with it! And let me know if you need any advice. Unfortunately i have not had a lot of time for building or designing lately but i usually check the forums every day.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Mar 05, 2010, 11:06 AM
Joined Jan 2010
25 Posts
Hi SGTalon,
thanks for the recommendations. I started building it last night. I have everything but the side vertical stabilizers attached. I will take some pictures and post them on here.
If you find a link to that thread can you post it here. I looked again and couldn't find it.
thanks,
Bob
Old Mar 05, 2010, 11:37 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,206 Posts
Star Wars:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=jedi

Jedi Fighter, don't know if it flew:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=jedi
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:09 AM
Joined Jan 2010
25 Posts
Some progress

I did a little more building yesterday. I will post some picks when I get home.
After reading the trials of getting the Klingon Bird of prey to fly, I decided I need to make sure there was enough drag behind the CG for stability. So, I cut out the window patern on my front circle piece. So now the only horizontal surface is on the very back of the plane.

I added a KF style air foil to give stability to the forward facing surfaces and hopefully it will also give the normal advantages of the airfoil.

I went with SGTalon's recommendation and am making it a prop in a slot power plant.

I was thinking that I will make the vertical stabilizers that attach to the bottom of the wing be retractable for landing.

I think with the amount of vertical surface behind the CG that this will be a pretty stable plane
Old Mar 09, 2010, 12:53 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,143 Posts
Where are the pics Bob?

My experience with the KF stuff is marginal compared to the added weight. My Saucer Style Star Trek ships needed more weight in the nose so it helped with that and to add some strength. I guess what i am saying is that i doubt that you will see any performance increases from it but the strenght that it will add will be worth it for a design like this.

Let's see some pics!
Old Mar 09, 2010, 05:15 PM
Autryville, NC
Joined Dec 2006
244 Posts
Looks good...now where are those dang pics?

KW
kwinters is offline Find More Posts by kwinters
Old Mar 09, 2010, 05:25 PM
Joined Jan 2010
25 Posts
Here are the pics. Sorry I was at work and didn't have my camera or the plane
I took one pic with the front arm? infront of the light so you can see the carbon tube that is sandwiched between the KF and the body.

Look forward to comments
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:58 PM
Joined Jan 2010
25 Posts
paint job

I was going to try to maiden it tonight but I got took it out and then propeller flew off the motor and i went back to the house to fix it all up and then it was too dark. I gave it a little paint. So here is a pic to tie over.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:40 AM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,143 Posts
Looks nice BoB!!!

You are going to have a problem with that battery though. You need to balance the Axial CG too. Easiest way is to hold it by the prop horizontally and make sure it is not banking right. Best bet will probably be to move that battery behind the motor and add a bit of nose weight.

Did you do any glide tests to check for CG? I can't remember if you mentioned it earlier.

Make sure you have the camera running when you fly it good or bad it is nice to get some videos up. I think ALL of my designs have the first few crashes on the videos.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 01:17 PM
Joined Jan 2010
25 Posts
Hi SGTalon,
I tried to balance the Axial CG by putting about 5 pennys on the edge of the opposite wing, you can kind of see it in the pic. It wasn't really well balanced Axially but it turned out to not be the main problem. It seems to still be tail heavy.
I "tried" to figure out where the center of lift / CG should be with some glide tests but I guess my method of running and tossing to myself was not good enough.
On the first flight the motor was aimed a bit downwards and it basically drove itself to the ground. The second flight I fixed the motor (maybe too much) but it was very tail heavy and flipped over backwards. I'm going to get lunch right now and will post the vids when I get back.
Bob
Old Mar 20, 2010, 02:33 PM
Joined Jan 2010
25 Posts
Here is the video.
JediFighter Maiden (0 min 15 sec)