Jun 13, 2012, 05:13 PM
fix-it-up chappie
Thread OP
Discussion

Father's Day is coming, and I need to Tool Up

I'm looking for a few new tools this year to fill a few gaps in my shop/home, and would like some suggestions.

Cordless Screwdriver:
In the past I have eschewed these things as I find them effete and unmanly. Tools for men too afraid to twist their wrists in a manly display of power for more than two turns. Of late I have changed my mind on this (shut up, it happens). To that end I am looking for a cordless screwdriver suitable for day-to-day around the house stuff. Something small and light enough that I'll use, but with enough torque to get the job done. Also it must be durable. While I'm in the habit of keeping my tools and workspace reasonably clean, I'm not one of those guys who treats their tools like they are precious pieces of art. They are tools, darn it. I expect them to keep up.

Cordless Drill:
I have a couple of corded drill which work just fine. If I replace them I want to do it with a SERIOUS tool. You know what I mean. I'm looking for the kind of cordless drill that is so awesome, so massively manly, that just pulling it out of the garage will make my neighbors green with envy and their wives swoon. The kind of tool that is so powerful in its terrible manly way that using it gives you a jolt of excitement mixed with fear. Like attempting to rope that big ornery steer when you're all alone on the back 40, or holding your friends TX after he just launched his $6000 sailplane and told you, "Dude, you need to feel this lift."

Specifically, I'm looking for something with adjustable torque, and plenty of speed. Ease of use would be nice (nothing too heavy), but my main criteria is Built To Last. Something durable enough that I'll be handing it down to my son, but cool enough that it will be the only object of contention in my will.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Jun 13, 2012, 05:49 PM
Chillin till SEFF
I got this guy

Like it a lot. Use it for all screw/drill jobs and never had issue with torque or battery life

Mine actually has the FireStorm designation which I don't see here but same B&D
Jun 13, 2012, 05:55 PM
I was looking at a Rockwell 3rill. Says lifetime battery replacement which is a pet peeve of mine. Have not played with one however. Anyone have one?
Looks like they are on ebay for $85.00.
https://www.rockwelltools.com/us/roc...FYpM4Aod5SnPWg
Jun 13, 2012, 06:07 PM
This is the set of Ryobi One-Plus18v power tools I bought a few years ago and have been very happy with - $99. http://www.homedepot.com/Featured-Pr...&storeId=10051 About two years ago the batteries started failing so I bought a set like this which gave me two more and a drill $69: http://www.homedepot.com/Featured-Pr...&storeId=10051 and now I need more batteries so thinking about going Li-Ion with this set, and yet a third drill! $99: http://www.homedepot.com/Featured-Pr...&storeId=10051
Last edited by Big Foot 48; Jun 13, 2012 at 06:51 PM.
Jun 13, 2012, 06:12 PM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Bought a Rigid 18v drill with 2 lithium batteries about 4 or 5 years ago. two years ago the batteries went bad as did the drill. Cost me $35 to have it fixed and since they said it was not due to abuse they refunded the $35. Not bad. The batteries have a lifetime warranty.....now just whose lifetime that is, is debatable.
Jun 13, 2012, 06:26 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolladay
I'm looking for a few new tools this year to fill a few gaps in my shop/home, and would like some suggestions....

Specifically, I'm looking for something with adjustable torque, and plenty of speed. Ease of use would be nice (nothing too heavy), but my main criteria is Built To Last. Something durable enough that I'll be handing it down to my son, but cool enough that it will be the only object of contention in my will.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
One thing to think about - I have a bunch of really good Milwaukee corded tools that certainly will outlast me and made sense to buy at the time. Now that we have entered the cordless era, I must be on my 4th variety - and although good tools, given how fast battery technology and standards change, I doubt any would be passable to future generations. I have also ended up with quite a few of the tools from the non-industrial Ryobi "one+" series - and I think most of the tools are really quite good and would work for your needs. The other nice thing about one of these series is that you can get more pieces for whatever occasions come up. It is my go-to answer for those that want to buy a gift, but want you to pick it.

http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/18v_oneplus

For driving screws I would highly highly recommend going to the 1/4 inch impact drivers over any drill/driver - the one+ one is good

Flashlights are good
drill/drivers are good
small shop vac is very handy w/o cord
angle grinder is good
hedge trimmer is good
angle drill is good
jigsaw is ok
circ saw is ok
sawzall is ok
chainsaw is useless

the additional units are so inexpensive, you can give some a try that you might not otherwise consider. If you don't have a multimaster, they are quite handy for some things- I have both a $300 fein one and a $39 harbor freight, not much difference, One+ has one now too.
Jun 13, 2012, 06:28 PM
HA, 'look what 'foot posted while I was typing... sharp fella that 'foot
Jun 13, 2012, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix2
HA, 'look what 'foot posted while I was typing... sharp fella that 'foot
HEY! I was 21 minutes ahead of you!
Glad to know about that chainsaw though, as I was eyeballing it today on the Home Depot website and lust was rising in my heart.
Jun 13, 2012, 06:57 PM
Chillin till SEFF
I gotta a chainsaw. killed a few trees too
Jun 13, 2012, 07:29 PM
56S
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
I have both Makitas and Dewalts. The Dewalts come with crappo batteries and both have been rebuilt to what they should have been when new. The Makita just never seems to quit. I use the Dewalt more at work only because it has a case that holds all my other goodies but prefer the Makita on the workbench because of the feel of it.
Jun 13, 2012, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48
HEY! I was 21 minutes ahead of you!
Glad to know about that chainsaw though, as I was eyeballing it today on the Home Depot website and lust was rising in my heart.
my mommy called, so I had an interruption...

You might have better luck with the angle grinder on that Mesquite you have out there.
Jun 13, 2012, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix2
my mommy called, so I had an interruption...

You might have better luck with the angle grinder on that Mesquite you have out there.
Ha! I do use the Ryobi Sawzall for my tree trimming - it just takes longer than a chainsaw!

We have a one-eyed owl hanging out in our Mesquites and Eucalyptus trees during the day. Here it is on the birdbath:
Jun 13, 2012, 08:11 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Not sure on branding but a quick review search should reveal issues on any in particular. Make sure you get 18 volt or better
Jun 13, 2012, 08:14 PM
Suspended Account
Waiting on a Red Ryder wagon
Jun 13, 2012, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins
I gotta a chainsaw. killed a few trees too
I gotta Husky 60 rancher (that's before there were chain brakes).
I have killed many trees.

Quick Reply