HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined Apr 2010
28 Posts
hii
I have flashed 4 hobby king F-30-A with the WII-ESC
I am using 4 700 KV motor & multiwii crius se flight control
but the motors doesn't operate smoothly the rpm increase & decrease aggressively without reason and cause the quad to be an uncontrollable
does any one have a similar problem or know what could be the solution?
eladashk is offline Find More Posts by eladashk
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:34 PM
The Engineer
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
621 Posts
First failure encountered on our Octo since it was set up 2 months ago and flew a few occasions.

ESC is HK F40A and WKM upgraded from 5.16 to 5.18 then. Was collecting data on battery consumption when it activated RTH and GPS seems lost when craft went offside for about 30m. It didn't help when we first noticed #3 stop rotating and Octo was trying to correct itself. We couldn't take control even when switching between ATTI and GPS. It flew past us and went back near home and went beyond almost hitting trees before able to take over the control again. Can't rem what mode that was but it was a hard landing.
We attribute that to failure to obtain GPS Home lock and took off too fast after observing GPS signal is strong.

Went back to see what other damages but none except 2 blades cracked and needed replacement.

Just before we gonna fly again that morning there was another FW upgrade so WKM upgraded to 5.20. We flew many short missions with 2 different battery packs and we notice the problem persisted around 4min +. #3 would stop rotating and for about 30sec or so.We landed a few time not knowing what to do and took off again and 4mins again it stops.

We check the temperature each time it landed and it was only warm to the touch. You can touch for 5 secs or longer but feels safe dong so. Not hot at all.

For each site we flew, we always recalibrate the compass.

We presume its probably a FW fault so we downgraded back to 5.16 and flew. During the last landing when #3 stop this time, yes it still happened, we heard the ESC beeping bee-boo-bee-boo like ambulance siren. Is that part of SK FW programming? What does that means? Anyone can point out?

We have changed out that ESC and scheduled to fly again today. Hopefully no more motor stoppages.
prodriverex is offline Find More Posts by prodriverex
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gimball Drone
Old Mar 04, 2013, 12:40 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,428 Posts
The bottom of this page has the beep codes

https://github.com/sim-/tgy

Presumably you're either getting continuous voltage brownouts over and over or looping watchdog resets or it's one of the "unknowns"
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:25 AM
The Engineer
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
621 Posts
Thanks for pointing to the alarm code..
Apparently it seems like the tone of brown out. Anyway the flight went well without further stoppages. So must be a case of one bad ESC. Lucky its an Octo.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:21 AM
Joined Mar 2013
5 Posts
problem with 390KV 4225 motor on RCTimer HVSK40A with SimonK

Hi,

I have a handful of RCTimer HVSK40A ESCs:
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...0&productname=

These came in with SimonK preinstalled. They don't work correctly with my motors though. The motors are 390KV 4225 from HobbyKing.

What happens is when I spin up slowly, for the first 1/3rd of the throttle range, the motor runs at a slow speed and hums really loud. See here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8820256/rctimer1.mp4

If I increase past the 1/3rd throttle range then it is OK, even if I then go below the 1/3rd throttle range again. So, there is a problem when it tries to spin up.

I tried to reflash the ESCs with the latest & greatest build from tgy.inc and tgy.asm (where I changed F_CPU to 8000000 b/c the RCtimer comes with an 8MHz crystal) but it is still the same issue. Here is another clip, after I flashed it with the latest build:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8820256/rctimer2.mp4

I also notice that when the motor runs incorrectly, the setup draws a lot of current (the PS limiter kicks in at 4A, this is w/o propellers and then the setup is normally always well below 1A)

I did correctly calibrate the ESC (power on with full throttle, then throttle down).
I tried 2 of these motors on 2 of these ESCs.

Other motors work fine on this ESC btw; and the motors also work fine on other ESCs (including SimonK flashed ones).

Has somebody seen something similar before? Any advise would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Johan.
johandm_be is offline Find More Posts by johandm_be
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:10 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,175 Posts
I would say get different ESCs like the HobbyKing F-40A

But maybe SimonK see your post and gives some insight on this issue. Maybe its the crystal on the RCTimer ones if you say other flashed ESCs work fine.
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:16 PM
The Engineer
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
621 Posts
Update. Flew with a new ESC and problem gone.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:17 AM
Joined Mar 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
I would say get different ESCs like the HobbyKing F-40A

But maybe SimonK see your post and gives some insight on this issue. Maybe its the crystal on the RCTimer ones if you say other flashed ESCs work fine.
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. Can anyone confirm these F-40A do indeed support 6S cells as they are advertized?

I know they say they do, but: I actually got a set of these before:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9482

and it turns out those do NOT support 5S Lipos - the product page says they do, but the comment of "Hexapilot" down below on that page explains they do not. I tried one with a 5S battery and sure enough, after a short while smoke came out of the FETs! This was with the ESC with the stock firmware, I did not reflash it yet, just a battery, a receiver and an ESC + motor and no props.

I do need ESCs that are compatible with 5S batteries, and preferably low current (I only need 16A really, so I want smaller and lighter ESCs). There is not that much choice for ESCs that go above 4S.

Kind regards,
Johan.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:27 AM
Joined Apr 2010
28 Posts
how can i calibrate wii esc using stick programming procedure ??
eladashk is offline Find More Posts by eladashk
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:34 AM
The Engineer
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
621 Posts
Johan, the link you shown is not F40A. F40A referes to Hobbyking F40A. Its pink in color.

I'm using 6S for my Droidworx Skyjib 8.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:04 AM
Joined Mar 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodriverex View Post
Johan, the link you shown is not F40A. F40A referes to Hobbyking F40A. Its pink in color.

I'm using 6S for my Droidworx Skyjib 8.
Hi prodriverex,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am aware the link is pointing to a different ESC but that was to indicate one I bought that should have been 6S and wasn't. So before I purchase another round of ESCs I wanted to make sure the F40A (link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=32513) are indeed 6S as advertized.

If I understand it correctly then you are indeed using F40A with 6S batteries so that should be fine then.

Thanks & kind regards,
Johan
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:23 AM
The Engineer
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
621 Posts
Yeap that's the one.. ok not pinkish. Orangey?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:43 PM
Joined Mar 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodriverex View Post
Yeap that's the one.. ok not pinkish. Orangey?
Ok great - thanks!
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:03 PM
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johandm_be View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. Can anyone confirm these F-40A do indeed support 6S cells as they are advertized?

I know they say they do, but: I actually got a set of these before:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9482

and it turns out those do NOT support 5S Lipos - the product page says they do, but the comment of "Hexapilot" down below on that page explains they do not. I tried one with a 5S battery and sure enough, after a short while smoke came out of the FETs! This was with the ESC with the stock firmware, I did not reflash it yet, just a battery, a receiver and an ESC + motor and no props.

I do need ESCs that are compatible with 5S batteries, and preferably low current (I only need 16A really, so I want smaller and lighter ESCs). There is not that much choice for ESCs that go above 4S.

Kind regards,
Johan.
Those are Mystery 40A ESCs, I've never tried them but I've done extensive bench testing of Hobbyking F40A ESCs flashed with Simon K firmware and they were quite happy with 6S power. However, they aren't lightweights.
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
Last edited by RedSky; Mar 06, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:19 AM
Joined Mar 2013
5 Posts
Ok great - thanks for this info RedSky!