New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2015, 09:40 PM
Find More Posts by 8416w
United States, NC, Mebane
Joined Apr 2015
18 Posts
Discussion
CMP tigermoth

I am planning to purchase a tiggy and the CMP model sold by nitroplanes is very interesting. The kit version is still available and I have the salvaged electronics from a crashed Hobbyzone Corsair S with SAFE that I would like to use. The electronic parts are as follows:

480 brushless outrunner motor 960Kv
30 amp pro switch mode BEC brushless ESC
4 parkzone servos
Transmitter and receiver w/ SAFE

Will these parts work in this model?
8416w is offline Find More Posts by 8416w
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2015, 03:28 PM
Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,849 Posts
I am not going to present myself as an expert. But I would think this motor is a bit small for the Tiger Moth. Nitroplanes says the plane weighs 4-5 lbs. I don't think a 480 size will fly a plane that weight. I would think a 480 would max out at about 2lbs (800-900 grams). Also, biplanes tend to be "draggy" because of the two wings. So a bit more power would seem advisable. Nitroplanes lists the plane as a "35 size". So I would think you should probably look at a motor in that size range to power the TM. The Safe receiver should be fine in the TM. I don't know what the torque on the servos from the Corsair are rated at. But I would hazard a guess that they are also a bit small for the CMP Moth.

Mark
buzzltyr is offline Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Old Jul 03, 2015, 03:42 PM
Find More Posts by 8416w
Joined Apr 2015
18 Posts
Thank you for the info. What size servos would you suggest? Also what would be the best quality motor for the job?
Old Jul 03, 2015, 05:13 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,849 Posts
I would think you might look at something like a Hitec 225 for rudder and elevator, or something even slightly more powerful. Perhaps even a "standard" size servo, which has about 40 oz/in of torque.

Motor quality is a matter of opinion. If I consider the project worthy of a good motor, I look at Scorpion motors. I've also used Cobra motors, which I consider to be a decent quality motor. And I've also used inexpensive motors from a variety of vendors (Hobbyking, HeadsupRC, Suppo motors from Altitude Hobby, etc.). For a plane this size/weight, I would think you would want to look for 400-600 watts for good performance. Easy enough to throttle back if you find the model to be overpowered.

Mark
Old Jul 03, 2015, 06:15 PM
Find More Posts by 8416w
Joined Apr 2015
18 Posts
Thank you again for the information.

I have not found a review or post comparing this balsa model with a foam model like the Dynam Tiggy. I wonder how their flying characteristics would compare with each other?
Last edited by 8416w; Jul 03, 2015 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added flying characteristics
Old Jul 03, 2015, 06:36 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,849 Posts
I don't think I can help with a comparison, having never flown either model. I do look at wing loading when considering a model. Generally, the lower the wing loading, the slower the model will fly. There is also a "cube loading" calculation that experts say provides a more useful comparison between models. A search here should turn up how to compute it and utilize it in a comparison of models. Good luck!

Mark