SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 23, 2014, 07:15 AM
Find More Posts by Rangarid
Joined Aug 2010
233 Posts
New Product
open360tracker - cheap open source 360 continuous rotation antenna tracker

In the german fpv forum we are currently developing an easy to build antenna tracker that supports multiple protocols and features endless rotation with a slip ring.
Our main goal was to make it as simple as possible, so everyone can build it at home without the need for special equipment. Still the tracker can be cnc cut if you know someone that can do it. Most of the parts you can get in your local hobbystore, only a few parts need to be ordered online as its hard to get them in local stores. We will publish a list of all required items later.

Link: http://fpv-community.de/showthread.p...-Wer-macht-mit

The idea behind this was to use any telemetry system available to supply the tracker with gps data. This makes it easy to use the tracker with different planes withithout the need for multiple expensive OSDs or autopilots.

These are the protocols we want to support later:
Frsky
normal telemetry data (Frsky GPS) 1Hz only
DIY Arduino Frsky GPS (5Hz or more)
MultiWii2Frsky
APM2Frsky
Naza2Frsky with Arduino

HoTT
normal telemetry data (HoTT GPS)
DIY Arduino HoTT GPS
DIY Arduino Naza2HoTT
APM2HoTT
MultiWii2HoTT (not sure here)

433/868/915Mhz 3DR radio
Mavlink
Multiwii
direct GPS data (NMEA)
any other protocol that is open

There exist different solutions on how to convert from XXX to Frsky and Hott already. Most of them are easy to build with an Arduino and we will link to the build threads of each possible telemetry converter project later. For APM and Multiwii for example there exist different code snippets that let you easily integrate Frsky telemetry and for some Hott as well.

The first layout looks like this:

The controller will be a MultiiWii board that has a compass on it. With the compass we are able to endless rotate 360 without the hassle of twisted cables.

You can find the code and later also build and configuration instructions on our google code webpage:
https://code.google.com/p/open360tracker/

This is all still work in progress and the first prototype is still not in our hands, but i already want to share this, so you can tell us your thoughts or maybe even ideas of improvement.

First video showing rotation and movement:
open360tracker prototype (0 min 39 sec)
Rangarid is offline Find More Posts by Rangarid
Last edited by Rangarid; Jun 18, 2014 at 12:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2014, 12:26 AM
Joined Aug 2010
233 Posts
First Kits are on their way...
Old Jun 14, 2014, 04:07 AM
Joined Aug 2010
233 Posts
The first prototype is ready for testing.

open360tracker first prototype (0 min 23 sec)
Old Jun 14, 2014, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by xxkiloxx
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Mar 2005
78 Posts
Very good looking piece of kit
xxkiloxx is offline Find More Posts by xxkiloxx
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:06 AM
Joined Aug 2010
233 Posts
Thank you. We need some beta testers once the prototypes are tested properly. So if anyone is interested drop me a line with other projects you reviewed or showed to the community so we can get an idea of your reviewing skills.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:22 AM
Find More Posts by Dimitris76
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,637 Posts
Rangarid,

how about support for DakarOSD and Lynx Antenna tracker. A reliable DIY tracker which is very popular in Europe. It drives a normal servo on tilt axis and a 90/180/360 servo on pan axis.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955535

/Dimitrios
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:26 AM
Joined Aug 2010
233 Posts
I dont know why we should support the tracker, however DakarOSD should work if someone implements the protocol. As stated in the description we want to support as many protocols as possible, so if someone wants to implement it he's free to do so.

We also would implement the protocol ourself, but then we need the required hardware to test it.

Our tracker is a continuous rotation tracker with slipring, so its different from the Lynx tracker. But the firmware for controlling the tracker is done by us, so only the telemetry data needs to be decoded.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 07:50 AM
Joined Jan 2008
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangarid View Post
I dont know why we should support the tracker, however DakarOSD should work if someone implements the protocol. As stated in the description we want to support as many protocols as possible, so if someone wants to implement it he's free to do so.

We also would implement the protocol ourself, but then we need the required hardware to test it.

Our tracker is a continuous rotation tracker with slipring, so its different from the Lynx tracker. But the firmware for controlling the tracker is done by us, so only the telemetry data needs to be decoded.
Are you willing to supply the hardware only for this tracker?
Then we Dakar users ckuld use the Lynx board to control the two servos.

/Dimitrios
Old Jun 16, 2014, 07:58 AM
Joined Aug 2010
233 Posts
We will supply the tracker. You guys will need to get the electronics. Controller will be a simple MultiWii board that has a compass on it. Thats cheap and easy to get for everyone.

Dakar tracker electronics wont work, as the Pan servo doesnt have the same servo commands.

For example:
Normal 360 degree servo
1000us ->0
1500us->180
2000us -> 360

Continuous rotation 360 Servo:
1000us->full speed left
1500us->no movement
2000us-> full speed right

Of course you could drop the slipring and just use a normal 360 servo. Then the dakar electronics should work. But then the servo has to move back when you reach the servo endpoints (0 and 360). I dont like that because that stresses the servo and the hardware a lot and you have a short video signal loss, thats why we chose the slipring and continuous rotation.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:14 AM
Joined Jan 2008
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangarid View Post
Of course you could drop the slipring and just use a normal 360 servo. Then the dakar electronics should work. But then the servo has to move back when you reach the servo endpoints (0 and 360). I dont like that because that stresses the servo and the hardware a lot and you have a short video signal loss, thats why we chose the slipring and continuous rotation.
That's exactly what I plan to do actually. I don't mind this 360 rotation as I find that it happens very rarely and then I am not loosing video feed as the plane is usually very close or above the base station and my diversity setup has changed to the omni CP antenna.

/Dimitrios
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:21 AM
Joined Aug 2010
233 Posts
Well in that case thats ok. What are the dimensions of the lynx controller?
Last edited by Rangarid; Jun 16, 2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:34 AM
Joined Jan 2008
2,637 Posts
It can be very compact like 3x6 cm or larger like I have it in my custom enclosure.

/Dimitrios
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:42 AM
Joined Aug 2010
233 Posts
This shows the approximate dimensions - pic is from early stage so some things changed, the measurements might be a bit different now. I still have one prototype made of plywood. If you want it send me a PM.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:48 AM
Joined Jan 2008
2,637 Posts
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/Dimi...enna%20Tracker

this is the board I built with ample room between the components. As I said it can be easily done much smaller.

By the way the Lynx board does output standard NMEA sentences in real time!

/Dimitrios
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:00 AM
Joined Aug 2010
233 Posts
Your pics are private...But i saw your board in the other thread. See dimensions of tracker above. You should be able to judge if it fits in or not.