SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 12, 2014, 09:24 PM
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Sep 2014
18 Posts
Discussion
DTF UHF 1-watt Deluxe JR vs Dragon Link

In the future when I have some spare money I was planning on buying a lrs system.

I was planning on a dragon link however lately i have been seeing a lot of post about the dtf uhf and its half the price.

Has any one compared these to or switched over from one to the other?
FlyingBryce is offline Find More Posts by FlyingBryce
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2014, 07:35 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,055 Posts
I have not flown either but one consideration is the number of channels. I need more than 8 so that has limited my choices. I need to control autopilot, flaps, and camera.

DL is expensive but has excellent customer service. DTF has no warranty.

What video frequency will you be using? What range do you really need?

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Last edited by RC Man; Dec 13, 2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 09:56 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
1,080 Posts
Performance wise I doubt DTF UHF will get close to the performance of DragonLink - but I guess it comes down to your needs and how much you wanna spend.

OpenLRS equipment is cheap and due to the OpenSource firmware, it gives you the possibility of changing everything, if you have the skills and time.
However, the lack of filtering on most OpenLrs hardware and the average performance hardware, does give some limitations.

With the hardware used on the new MicroRx from DragonLink, it's not the cheapest receiver you can find. However, performance, flexibility and features does seem to win, but it naturally comes at a cost ($).

It's 2 completely different systems, where OpenLrs have mainly been for those finding it interesting to experiment, compared to DragonLink where you pay a higher price for a plug-n-play system and better hardware/performance.

Being involved with DragonLink I can't be 100 % objective, but that's my 2 cents.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:21 AM
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
650 Posts
I started out with the DTF, and ended up switching to Dragonlink i was having problems and i dont like having to mess with my equipment id rather go fly. After i switched to DL i will never go to any other system , reason being DL has absolutely the best product and customer service period but thats my opinion....where else can you by mistake damage a part and they replace it with no questions asked or upgrade your equipment for free? nowhere that i know of. Yeah the DL stuff is more expensive but i think its well worth the price, ive bought RX's that were way more than the price of the DL's for my sailplanes and never thought ...hey thats way to much money for those ill just put a cheap rx in a $2000 sailplane and hope i get it back. I have flown with other guys that have other systems, sometimes we can all fly together sometimes they cant but ive never had to sit and wait for one of them to land so i can get back in the air. Unlike Dennis i am not involved with DL just a more than satisfied DL user.

Steve
sjgoulet is online now Find More Posts by sjgoulet
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:57 AM
Joined Sep 2013
23 Posts
Side by side comparison video of 5 different systems, including DragonLink and OpenLRS, performed by Alex Greve (aka IBCrazy) and the guys from FliteTest.

Flite Test - Long Range System (LRS) Shootout (20 min 57 sec)

The video above is from a year ago, so I would expect that some improvements have been made in most of these systems.

In the video below, Marc with RCHacker.com demonstrates the beacon feature of OpenLRSng. This feature could be a life saver if you ever have a "lost" model situation (although I'd attach a yagi to that hand radio that he is using).

RCHacker #48 - Finding a lost model with the OpenLRSng beacon. (5 min 20 sec)

I never have spare money (my wife makes sure of that), but if I did, I'd be buying an OpenLRS system.
Eddy Current is offline Find More Posts by Eddy Current
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:11 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
11,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Current View Post
Side by side comparison video of 5 different systems, including DragonLink and OpenLRS, performed by Alex Greve (aka IBCrazy) and the guys from FliteTest.
Those videos were very informative at the time, but now they are very outdated... And totally irreverent now. Those video were only made 1.5 years ago, so you probably ask yourself how could they already be outdated ???

We took those comparisons VERY seriously, and we spent the money, and did the work to fix the areas were our system needed improvement. The system we sell today is not even close to the same system you see in the videos. We started from a clean sheet of paper, and have the best, most advanced RC receiver on the planet ! We have added filtering and corrections for the transmitter to make it work well with ANY video frequency. The long range FPV record of 132 Kilometers was flown using 1.2 GHZ video and Dragon Link, as well as many others.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....n-In-Argentina

And as far as your information being outdated, we have had a lost plane beacon for months now...

If you want a cheap, medium performance RC system, that is up to you. The extra cost of the Dragon Link will likely pay for itself in the very first crash it prevents. We are not worried by the cheaper systems out there, when people get tired of fialsafes, and RC limitations, and trying to get cheaper equipment to work they end up buying a Dragon Link. Its totally hassle free, once set up, just turn it on and fly, no extra steps, with 100% reliability at any range.

With a properly set up Dragon Link system, you will likely never have another failsafe or RC glitch again... Yes, its that good I know a lot of people will have a hard time accepting something like that, but technology changes everything, and now makes things possible that were considered impossible just a few years ago. Still have a hard time with this statement, then you are in the perfect place ! This is a forum, and in a forum, Dragon Link customers are all free to post their results. False or unrealistic claims would quickly be exposed. So don't take our world for it, go to the Dragon Link thread, and ask people that fly Dragon Link what they think

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Last edited by JettPilot; Dec 13, 2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:12 AM
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
650 Posts
The new DL micro rx has the "Beacon" for lost model finder, plus a specktrum analyzer ( its in the GUI for setup) so you can see what noise you may have in your aircraft which is nice seeing how some of our equipment does put out a lot of noise you can power up each component one by one and view the analyzer to see just what everything is putting out.
sjgoulet is online now Find More Posts by sjgoulet
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:48 AM
Joined Sep 2013
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post

...The system we sell today is not even close to the same system you see in the videos. We started from a clean sheet of paper, and have the best, most advanced RC receiver on the planet ! The long range FPV record of 132 Kilometers was flown using 1.2 GHZ video and Dragon Link.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....n-In-Argentina

With a properly set up Dragon Link system, you will likely never have another failsafe or RC glitch again... Yes, its that good I know a lot of people will have a hard time accepting something like that, but technology changes everything, and now makes things possible that were considered impossible just a few years ago.

Mike
Thanks for the quick update Mike!! I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes, and I don't doubt what you're saying.

It sounds like FliteTest needs to get back with Alex Greve and film another Long Range System shootout. I enjoy and look forward to each FliteTest video (and their podcasts), and I haven't seen FliteTest revisit the LRS topic. Perhaps the DragonLink team can reach out to Josh Bixler and the FT team and suggest a rematch.
Eddy Current is offline Find More Posts by Eddy Current
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:57 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
11,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Current View Post
Thanks for the quick update Mike!! I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes, and I don't doubt what you're saying.

It sounds like FliteTest needs to get back with Alex Greve and film another Long Range System shootout. I enjoy and look forward to each FliteTest video (and their podcasts), and I haven't seen FliteTest revisit the LRS topic. Perhaps the DragonLink team can reach out to Josh Bixler and the FT team and suggest a rematch.
No problem Eddy, I know you posted the best information you had at the time, we have just been moving very quickly at Dragon Link.

I have been looking forward to a new " Shootout Video " but have been just waiting for it... Your idea is a good one, maybe its time to make the suggestion to those guys and see if they want to do another comparison.

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 13, 2014, 01:17 PM
Australia, NSW, Castle Hill
Joined Mar 2013
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
No problem Eddy, I know you posted the best information you had at the time, we have just been moving very quickly at Dragon Link.

I have been looking forward to a new " Shootout Video " but have been just waiting for it... Your idea is a good one, maybe its time to make the suggestion to those guys and see if they want to do another comparison.

Mike
FlyingBryce

I don't have a Dragon Link but have heard good things about the service. I'm not sure IBCrazy wants to do any more UHF comparisons these days. He really went out of his way to criticize TSLRS in a follow up video and continues to make a comment every chance he gets about TSLRS being the "worst of the worst" I think the last thread I read of his was that he is now singing DTF praises (in the original video he liked that one least and was in favor of EZUHF). I ordered a plane from him and was shocked at the quality. Seriously I'm in Australia and paid a bomb for postage and got a pile of I guess we all have our opinions but I was so unhappy with what I bought from IBCrazy and the customer service I got was "just fly it , they are meant to be beaters" really burned me. I'd stick with either Dragon Link, TSLRS, or EZUHF and you'll probably be happy mate.

Cheers
v2rocketeer is offline Find More Posts by v2rocketeer
Old Dec 13, 2014, 08:20 PM
Joined Dec 2013
32 Posts
I started out with the Flytron OpenLRS gear and recently migrated to the DTF/Hawkeye and like it much better...for me OpenLRS works great (exceeds any video TX capability I have) and I am OK with the initial learning curve required. I would however not recommend touching the Hobby King versions...I tried them a couple of times (just the RX units) and they were terrible in comparison to the real Flytron RX units which are not even as nice as the Hawkeye IMHO.

If you need plug and play or super-sexy decals/video clips version 2 DL seems to be a good choice. I personally would not run DL just because of the version 1 performance...they were pushing it as "the best" back then as well when it obviously was not. Marketing bucks and "flash"....

Long live open source!
astr0lite is offline Find More Posts by astr0lite