HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2013, 02:58 AM
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
Discussion
Gws slow stick ailerons dihedral qustion?

Hi Guys,

I just purchased a GWS SLOW STICK with a Powerful Brushless 450 880kv Motor, running a 12" Prop! I am in the process of adding Ailerons to the Stock Wing!

My BIG QUESTION is DIHEDRAL!! I have read about many Successful Builds with using the Plastic Stiffener & Carbon Fiber Rods, giving the Wing around 10 Degrees of Positive Dihedral! Many People have claimed that this is a Great Build when using the Ailerons. There are also many people that insist on Straightening the Wing for 0 Dihedral by using ONE thicker piece of Carbon Fiber or aluminum straight across the Leading edge of the Stock Wing! Some even claim that there is little difference in the Performance of the Ailerons when building the Wings with 10 Degrees of Dihedral! Saying that a Straight Wing is a MUST!?!

My Goal is to have this SS Fly with more Control & Performance, and at the same time not forget that it is a SLOW STICK and not an Acrobatic Flyer!

Any Help or Suggestions would be Appropriated!
250rman is offline Find More Posts by 250rman
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2013, 06:19 PM
Random Flier
Oxford (UK) and Mtn View CA (USA)
Joined Nov 2002
1,409 Posts
Congrats and good luck

Good choice (although the 12" prop on a brushless may give you some torque effects!).

There are loads of threads on the topic of SS+ailerons so I recommend a search eg in the Park Flier forum. One of the more innovative solutions was to double up a pair of SS wings to make a symmetric aerobatic wing (I have an old Wattage Crazy Max wing that is effectively the same approach, if I recall). For slow flying you could keep the dihedral I think (or maybe reduce it). For more fun later consider one of the balsa wing kits for the SS!
isvana is offline Find More Posts by isvana
Old Apr 05, 2013, 10:51 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
I'd like to suggest reducing its positive dihedral down to 5 degrees for adding the extra ailerons. "5 degrees" is actually the same as the stock aluminum dihedral tubes. In my opinion "10 degree" is for Lazy Slow Flights while aileron control would not be required for that dihedral. I'd also like to use EP9050 or 9x5 prop on the 450 motor with 3S lipo, and EP1060 (10x6) or EP1147 prop with 2S.

Be reminded that the ailerons on its wing will not be as effective as what you'd experience with the common Clark Y or symmetrical wings, just my two cents.
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen