SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2014, 11:34 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newelectro View Post
Has anybody run this glider with a 3s 2200 lipo without cutting the wheel hump out?
Only maybe 90-95% of us have tried that.
Proceed with all due caution.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2014, 07:23 AM
Joined Feb 2013
586 Posts
I don't know about you'll but I'm sick at having to look at those ESPRIT flyers all the time!

They look so sweet and sleek, sure they fly as well as they look.
Jeff……..
SeeMeDo is online now Find More Posts by SeeMeDo
Old Dec 09, 2014, 07:46 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMeDo View Post
I don't know about you'll but I'm sick at having to look at those ESPRIT flyers all the time!

They look so sweet and sleek, sure they fly as well as they look.
Jeff……..
They looks expen$ive too.....CAUSE THEY IZ!!!!
Actually, it's all relative -- they've got nice entry-level stuff too & if you're really interested, give 'em a look. They're basically the next 'step up' from the V-Roc ilk.

And in all fairness, those ads mean they support this site you do so enjoy, f.r.e.e..
& if ya stop & think about it, if it wasn't them it'd be somebody else's you'd be tired of. So, just enjoy the purty. (And you know it is - they got you lookin', didn't they?) *LOL*
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2014, 11:05 AM
Joined Nov 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch 1 View Post
did you check your CG before maiden? Should be 70-75mm. If you use a 1300-1500 lipo and put if where the stock battery tray is......then you will be way tail heavy. The directions show the battery forward of the wheel well but a battery tray is installed aft of the wheel well. I ripped the battery tray out and put my battery forward of the wheel well for the appropriate cg using 1550 lipo. Difference of about 6 inches
I did ck cg before maiden, was just a little tail heavy at 75mm, level at 77mm. That was with 1300 batt. in stock location behind hump. Thought that would be ok after reading this thread and seeing that cg not that important in this bird. I will set cg at 70 mm for next attempt. If I put batt in front of hump would be way nose heavy.
B.A. is offline Find More Posts by B.A.
Old Dec 09, 2014, 11:39 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
I did ck cg before maiden, was just a little tail heavy at 75mm, level at 77mm. That was with 1300 batt. in stock location behind hump. Thought that would be ok after reading this thread and seeing that cg not that important in this bird. I will set cg at 70 mm for next attempt. If I put batt in front of hump would be way nose heavy.
Try it that way, & see. If for more than just finding if it's really "way nose heavy" as you suspect, add in the benefit of learning how it flies & handles in that condition. Then add, use what you learned here for comparison to others you'll fly.

You're entering the area of exploration regarding your glider. YMMV, but to me this is one of the most fun parts of owning aircraft like these - the almost endless variety of experimentation it allows. Where you start to congratulate yourself about having a V-Roc, is when you realize you have a plane that is open to a wide latitude of trial & discovery, & forgiving in that respect. It isn't at all like the Big League composites where 1/2mm CG off can make it practically unflyable.

I think you'll appreciate what you have. Oh, and discover she handles that lipo placement most anywhere you put it, too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2014, 01:30 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Jan 2011
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Try it that way, & see.
I think you'll appreciate what you have. Oh, and discover she handles that lipo placement most anywhere you put it, too.

I run a 1500 up front...fly's OK... 2200...back of the bus please.
HuskyDude is offline Find More Posts by HuskyDude
Old Dec 11, 2014, 06:23 AM
Joined Feb 2013
586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
They looks expen$ive too.....CAUSE THEY IZ!!!!
Actually, it's all relative -- they've got nice entry-level stuff too & if you're really interested, give 'em a look. They're basically the next 'step up' from the V-Roc ilk.

And in all fairness, those ads mean they support this site you do so enjoy, f.r.e.e..
& if ya stop & think about it, if it wasn't them it'd be somebody else's you'd be tired of. So, just enjoy the purty. (And you know it is - they got you lookin', didn't they?) *LOL*
I like those ads, I was being sarcastic. Next time the wife says anything about, "another plane" I'll just order up one of their soarers with all the goodies then she'll go into the "Dave Ramsey" shock.
Jeff……….:d
Old Dec 11, 2014, 09:37 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,677 Posts
*LOL* If you really wanta make her apoplectic, engage Esprit's building services when you order. (heh heh)
I did. Turned a $450 plane into near $1600 when all was done.
At'll learn her! *LMAO*
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2014, 07:07 AM
Joined Feb 2013
586 Posts
We flew with some vactioning Discus Launch Glider flyers this summer that had some pretty high tech carbon gliders where you had to use carbon fiber and bonder to put the planes together which was pretty detailed and exact not for the faint of heart. They could reach altitudes of 1200 to 1400 feet by just doing a little spinning and release, pretty neat deal but the cost is almost equal to the altitudes so I'll stick to foam and hot glue.
Jeff……..
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:22 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,677 Posts
Yup, know about those too. I just sold my 2M Helios DLG -- flying weight 280g! (no typo) That techy carbon might not look so hot up close, but boy does it work! It was easy to get over a minute flight in dead air (no thermaling) just with a casual toss....and I'm not even near an expert thrower.

And you hit it dead on with your "not for the faint of heart" - the tolerances on that thing are amazing. It's one of those that 1/2mm in the CG range was like the gamut - anything outside that & it's a dead clunker. Needs LOTS of patience to get right.

AFA the Ramsey syndrome.....you might still have a chance -- at least 'til Suze Ormon comes into the scene. You know how the gals love to gang up!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2014, 04:07 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Nov 2012
29 Posts
Hi, All.

Well today I maidened my V-Tail. What a sweet plane, only 1 click right aileron for trim and it tracks so beautifully. This bird definitely doesn't wanna come down I had to make 3 passes over our runway with full flaps and she finally landed nicely.. Another thing is you MUST put some type of stripes, paint or markings on the bottom of the wings as it is VERY easy to lose orientation. Thank God for my spotter Next step , adding Crow, Camber, Reflex

Rick
VikingTattoos is online now Find More Posts by VikingTattoos
Old Dec 12, 2014, 06:12 PM
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
541 Posts
Hey Rick,
Go to your local Dollar General store or hardware/auto parts store & pick up some cheap flat black spray paint. Keep the spray at least 12" away so the propellant doesn't blister the foam & paint it. I did the starboard wing & v-tail & you can see it easily for most any altitude your eyes can focus. Here's a pic of mine......

Denny
yorkiepap is online now Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Dec 12, 2014, 07:32 PM
Joined Nov 2012
29 Posts
Yeah I just got back from store with orange paint supposedly plastic proof but I'll stay back 12 inches I like the look of yours I was thinking of doing a pattern but solid maybe the way to go
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:22 PM
Joined Nov 2012
29 Posts
Heres my painted V-Tail, It came out nice, now to wait til the weather is nice to see how it looks in the air.