Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:55 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Thanks for the info guys

@ stonecutter
While I was trying to root out info I came across your "BenMa Helios 100 with msr paddles" vid (some nice flying by the way) and was wondering why you had done this mod when the Helios comes with a paddle flybar. By the looks of things I'd be as well just sticking with converting the original v911 flybar with msr paddles.

Since questions lead to questions, here we go...

In your comments to the vid you say "The motor is from a v911, which seemed weaker than stock Helios motor (the top came off)." Helios motor recommended as replacement for V911 stock then?

What TX were you using to fly in the vid?

How do you hold your camera when shooting the vid? Can't be flying one-handed obviously... got a head-mounted camcorder or what?

Any idea why the msr paddles are better than the Helios? Different shape? Different weight?

Ever curious
Tigg
I was trying to see if the msr would help with the rocking (one often cited drawback of the Helios). After some more experimentation, I decided to fly the Helios stock, the msr did provide quicker control response, but the Helios is not an ideal heli for that type of flying IMO, it is better suited for straight a ways and bigger circuits. But each pilot should do the trials and decide for himself which one suits his flying style.

I found the v911 motor weaker than the stock Helios one, but I'm no expert. It makes sense to me since the Helios is heavier, so BenMa probably sourced a stronger motor. If they cost the same, and of same dimensions, I'd use a Helios motor as replacement for a v911.

Helios only can be used w/ stock tx. All my v911 vid's I used v911 tx.

I have an 808 #11 velcroed to (the bill of) a cap, not the most professional set up, but does the job.

My theory why msr works better on v911 is the msr seem to have more aerodynamic shape then the Helios paddles, which seem to work closer to a standard weighted flybar. However, on the Helios, the stock flybar works fine; and the msr seemed 'under powered' for the heavy frame. Hope that helps.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:48 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I was trying to see if the msr would help with the rocking (one often cited drawback of the Helios). After some more experimentation, I decided to fly the Helios stock, the msr did provide quicker control response, but the Helios is not an ideal heli for that type of flying IMO, it is better suited for straight a ways and bigger circuits. But each pilot should do the trials and decide for himself which one suits his flying style.

I found the v911 motor weaker than the stock Helios one, but I'm no expert. It makes sense to me since the Helios is heavier, so BenMa probably sourced a stronger motor. If they cost the same, and of same dimensions, I'd use a Helios motor as replacement for a v911.

Helios only can be used w/ stock tx. All my v911 vid's I used v911 tx.

I have an 808 #11 velcroed to (the bill of) a cap, not the most professional set up, but does the job.

My theory why msr works better on v911 is the msr seem to have more aerodynamic shape then the Helios paddles, which seem to work closer to a standard weighted flybar. However, on the Helios, the stock flybar works fine; and the msr seemed 'under powered' for the heavy frame. Hope that helps.
Just what I was after, cheers mate
Banggood have a 720 x 480 version of the 808 for 8USD. Anybody have this one, or would I probably be better off laying out a bit more and getting the HD #11 if I can find a European supplier?
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:05 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Just what I was after, cheers mate
Banggood have a 720 x 480 version of the 808 for 8USD. Anybody have this one, or would I probably be better off laying out a bit more and getting the HD #11 if I can find a European supplier?
Considering the price of the components that have to be in there I doubt the BG version would be anywhere near as good but who knows.

Isn't the #11 a "fake" 808? The #16 is the real deal and only available from one source on eBay (eletoponline365). I know the #16 has better quality although it's not so much that most people would care. The price seems similar though, I'd just get the higher quality #16.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:49 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
Considering the price of the components that have to be in there I doubt the BG version would be anywhere near as good but who knows.
for that price I think I'll try it... needing to order some fisheye swashes anyway. Bound to find some kind of use for it even if the quality isn't too good

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
Isn't the #11 a "fake" 808? The #16 is the real deal and only available from one source on eBay (eletoponline365). I know the #16 has better quality although it's not so much that most people would care. The price seems similar though, I'd just get the higher quality #16.
Been reading a bit more since my last post. As far as I've found out so far the #16 is just an updated version. Good thread here...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362692
... but it'd take me far too long to get all the way through it

Anybody know if this seems to be the real deal? Any way to tell for sure? The tech specs (Video: 1280x720 H.264 30fps .MOV) seem to be right, as long as he's telling the truth.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/11-18-HD-Spy-...item3ccb4f0aa6
Just about ready to pull the trigger on it I think...
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:03 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,276 Posts
The 808 #11 is of similar quality as the 16' I believe, but the 16 came out after he 11 and must have more features. I got my 11 from one of the 'real' sellers on eBay, the one littlemo mentioned if memory serves. If I were to buy another Dvr now I would get the 16. Btw, the BG one is pretty good, not wide angle nor HD like the 11, but still good for the $.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
The 808 #11 is of similar quality as the 16' I believe, but the 16 came out after he 11 and must have more features. I got my 11 from one of the 'real' sellers on eBay, the one littlemo mentioned if memory serves. If I were to buy another Dvr now I would get the 16. Btw, the BG one is pretty good, not wide angle nor HD like the 11, but still good for the $.
I think the BG one is a #6. I bought one from ebay about the same price and it's a #6

http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C6/index.html
mystman is offline Find More Posts by mystman
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:08 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
I thought this video is pretty good comparing the #11 and #16. The #16 is noticeably sharper but it's not a huge difference.

One nice thing about the latest #16 is that it has live video out so can be used for FPV or whatever. That's the feature that made me decide on the #16 a while ago although I haven't bought one yet.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santley View Post
laliux, Costa Rica? Why that is still North America, Right. I'm in Arkansas and I don't have a hobby shop within a couple hundred miles. But, we all have a hobby shop with the internet. Get the V911 and don't worry about the spares or mods, you will love it.
Costa Rica is actually in Central America but of course we are in the northern hemisphere ... arkansas! Now that's a beautiful place to live ... Thank God we have the internet to buy our toys ...I will follow your advice ... I will buy soon the v911
laliux is offline Find More Posts by laliux
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Dec 2009
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacksheepVMF214 View Post
Time to order another BNF version and I wanted to get some more batteries at the same time. Banggood has the 5x packs of batteries but there are two listed (150mah and 145mah). Question, any difference in performance between the two?
I heard the only diff is flight time.
According to xheli's description the v911 is supposed to come with 2x3.7V 180Mah Li-poly battery's.. (http://www.xheli.com/28h-wlv911-orange.html)
but i believe it may be a type-O because i ordered mine a couple weeks ago and they seem more like 120Mah only fly's for 3 to 5 min.

On a side note, can yall tell me where i can get the BNF v911's for $20? I want the hole set! wonder if they will all bind on 1 tx and fly at the same time.. lol
Dark_Lord is offline Find More Posts by Dark_Lord
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:00 PM
United Kingdom, England, York
Joined Aug 2012
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Lord View Post
According to xheli's description the v911 is supposed to come with 2x3.7V 180Mah Li-poly battery's.. (http://www.xheli.com/28h-wlv911-orange.html)
but i believe it may be a type-O because i ordered mine a couple weeks ago and they seem more like 120Mah only fly's for 3 to 5 min.

On a side note, can yall tell me where i can get the BNF v911's for $20? I want the hole set! wonder if they will all bind on 1 tx and fly at the same time.. lol
145mah also seem to lack punch.

All my lipo's that came with my bnf and my rtf were 120mah. My 150mah's are vastly superior in both flight time and inflight performance.

Yes, you can bind 2 birds to 1 stock tx, but as mine don't behave exactly the same, they didn't quite do the same things...
col1n is offline Find More Posts by col1n
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:01 PM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laliux View Post
Costa Rica is actually in Central America but of course we are in the northern hemisphere ... arkansas! Now that's a beautiful place to live ... Thank God we have the internet to buy our toys ...I will follow your advice ... I will buy soon the v911
laliux I PM you a message

S
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Sep 2007
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Lord View Post

I did a test of the various batteries eons ago.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8245

The 150mAH are the only way to fly. Punch and longer flight time.

===

Not sure what you mean by type-O.
You should get better than 3-5 even with the 120mAH.

Try lubricating, but with caution - too much is too much.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7344

For some, this procedure has virtually doubled flight time.
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Last edited by RicksterRC; Nov 25, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Sep 2007
480 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys

anybody know where (if anywhere) I can buy plastic fisheye swashplates without the CF main shaft? Since opinion seems to be divided about the CF shaft, I'd rather just get the swashplates if poss. So far I've only found them in sets, but I've probably been looking in the wrong places.
Cheers
Tigg
Why the fisheye witrhout the CF shaft?
The shaft is much lighter than stock and makes up for the aded weight of the fisheye.

While I and some others had problems with SP CF shafts - splintering, crackes etc, the CF shafts with the fisheyes work just great for me.

My entire fleet has them. Haven't borken a shaft yet.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:49 PM
Joined Sep 2007
480 Posts
My fleet is now down by two.

I had Orange/Black Corter, R/W, B/W and Yellow.

The RW developed a short and I tried to resurect it with a new RX board.
I reversed two wires by mistake and smoked the new $12.99 board.
Now the RW (and two RX) are in the parts bin.

It's almost always windy here, so I fly pretty much exclusively indoors.
Yesterday, the wind seemed mild.
I took my B/W with new Bravo SX motor out for a spin.
A gust took it up and over the house.
I cut power when I thought it was out to the street, but must have been a moment too soon.

It landed on the roof.
Two hours of trying to get it with a rope proved fruitless.

Maybe it will blow down before the thing rusts itself out.

They each have (had) their own personality.
The Red/White was my favorite. I just liked the way it flew.
The B/W was my beater. The only one I flew outside. It took a lot of concrete damage with stride. I had put a Bravo SX into it in hopes of cruising around the house with a camera...

I still have the O/B, the Yellow, and a new R/W on the way.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:53 PM
Joined Sep 2007
480 Posts
Speaking of cameras, has anyone had any reall success?

I tried a couple stripped down 808's and the picture quality was not acceptable.

I got a U8, stripped it down and was fairly pleased with the results.
I run it off the Corter battery and that it seems that the camera shuts down when the battery gets slightly depleted, thus videos are short (1-2 minutes).

Has anyone found a good combination?

BTW: The Bravo SX seems to be able to lift about double the weight of the standard V911 motor.