SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2010, 03:15 AM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
Discussion
CG help

cant seem to balance my typhoon 2 3d with the 3S 1800mAh Li-Po is approximately 3.50 inches (89mm) back from the leading edge of the wing.

could some one point out where the landing edge is not sure if i got it right?
dazzzer1 is offline Find More Posts by dazzzer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2010, 03:26 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Leading Edge = front of the wing. Balancing usually is done measuring about 1" out from the LE, but check the manual first.

The lipo should also sit right on the CG (inside the battery strap) if you're running the stock setup
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Feb 12, 2010, 03:33 AM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Leading Edge = front of the wing. Balancing usually is done measuring about 1" out from the LE, but check the manual first.

The lipo should also sit right on the CG (inside the battery strap) if you're running the stock setup
not running stock set up using lipos 2100 and 1800 mah it says in the manual 89mm) back from the leading edge of the wing and 1" out will this be right? it seems a bit tail heavy know matter what i do theres not much room to more batterys around too?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 02:11 PM
Joined Mar 2007
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzzer1 View Post
not running stock set up using lipos 2100 and 1800 mah it says in the manual 89mm) back from the leading edge of the wing and 1" out will this be right? it seems a bit tail heavy know matter what i do theres not much room to more batterys around too?
Dazzer:

It might be helpful to know the company of mfg. and exact name of the model. There's quite a few typhoon's out there.

Having said that, if you're not running stock you can throw the plane off it's COG when you substitute new or different components.

One thing you can do is to weigh the stock battery and compare against the LiPo 1800 and 2100 mAh batteries. The higher the mAh the larger and heavier the battery. If the plane was balanced for 2oz of battery and you introduced a 6oz battery, the COG may shift a little, especially if you shifted the battery to a new location to accommodate it's larger size.

Here's the important thing to understand. The COG location needs to stay in the same location no matter what you put on the plane. If the manual says 89mm from the leading edge of the wing, then it must balance at 89mm after you put all your new components on the plane. In some instances you may have to add weights to either the front or the back end of the plane to get it to balance.

Just tossing out ideas.
DontTellTheWife is offline Find More Posts by DontTellTheWife
Old Feb 13, 2010, 02:44 PM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTellTheWife View Post
Dazzer:

It might be helpful to know the company of mfg. and exact name of the model. There's quite a few typhoon's out there.

Having said that, if you're not running stock you can throw the plane off it's COG when you substitute new or different components.

One thing you can do is to weigh the stock battery and compare against the LiPo 1800 and 2100 mAh batteries. The higher the mAh the larger and heavier the battery. If the plane was balanced for 2oz of battery and you introduced a 6oz battery, the COG may shift a little, especially if you shifted the battery to a new location to accommodate it's larger size.

Here's the important thing to understand. The COG location needs to stay in the same location no matter what you put on the plane. If the manual says 89mm from the leading edge of the wing, then it must balance at 89mm after you put all your new components on the plane. In some instances you may have to add weights to either the front or the back end of the plane to get it to balance.

Just tossing out ideas.
It is the parkzone typhoon 3d foam , i have balanced it best i can with my finger tips seems about right ,
Old Feb 13, 2010, 05:10 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTellTheWife View Post
He said a Typhoon 2 3D- last time I checked there's only one fitting that description, and an EDF jet isn't going to be a 3D plane
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..