New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:15 AM
Find More Posts by PWJClub78
Joined Nov 2013
175 Posts
Elevator Fabrication Question

Hey guys I am working on my second scratch built plane. My first build was a foam board FW 190 this second plane is a FW 190 as well but I am using pink foam planked with Balsa. My first build went pretty well had great results and this second plane is coming along great but I am still new to building and certainly don't know everything so any info is appreciated.

The issue:: Elevator Fabrication
So I cut an elevator the same way I cut the wings with a stencils. The results where not so great. Perhaps because the Elevator is much thinner. If I stick with the pink foam Elevator I am going to have to run some carbon fiber rods through it and planking it becomes kinda tricky because its so thin. So I was thinking of taking two sheets of 1/4 balsa glue them together Cut down a leading edge piece and sand it down. Does this sound like it will work? Or will that add some unwanted weight to the tail?

The build log is here
PWJClub78 is offline Find More Posts by PWJClub78
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2015, 07:14 AM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
15,577 Posts
This is what is usually recommended for a sheet balsa tail-plane to minimize twists, warps etc, (picture below).

Perhaps something similar using foam board for the main shape, with balsa ends to add some strength.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray