HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2008, 12:20 AM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2006
474 Posts
Help!
need some help with usb cable

hi i just recently got a usb cable to use with my tx (optic 6), i connect the cable to the trainer plug and then connected to the computer (this makes a very fast installation(not so sure computer recognizes the cable or tx).
install ppjoy (don t understand the need, thats the reason i opted for usb intead on serial or mic input) but tti home page says so

ok nows is the problem ppjoy doesnt see any signal from tx (tried all the COM)
and Com 3 is he only ones doesnt give an error but says no siganl found

tried to search for tti homepage, ppjoy, and no help found

thxs for your help
jose
jaas75 is offline Find More Posts by jaas75
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2008, 12:39 AM
Paddle faster - I hear banjos!
USA, VA, Fairfax
Joined Mar 2008
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaas75
hi i just recently got a usb cable to use with my tx (optic 6), i connect the cable to the trainer plug and then connected to the computer (this makes a very fast installation(not so sure computer recognizes the cable or tx).
install ppjoy (don t understand the need, thats the reason i opted for usb intead on serial or mic input) but tti home page says so

thxs for your help
jose
TX turned on, battery good, etc? Pull the crystal out so you don't burn the battery ...
huckleberg is offline Find More Posts by huckleberg
Old May 22, 2008, 01:21 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Quote:

thxs for your help
jose
Try browsing this forum, there seems to be lots of posts in this sort of vein, most contain suggestions on things to try
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old May 22, 2008, 08:42 PM
Joined Oct 2006
474 Posts
the tx is on and i have the spectra module, the battery is a 2000mah and is charged.
i tried to search on this matter but didnt found anything helpful if you know something or find anything pls let me know

jose
Old May 23, 2008, 03:07 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,565 Posts
PPJoy is only needed for use with simulators other than FMS. What program are you trying to use with the interface ?

Have you followed the instructions on http://www.tti-us.com/sim/FMSins.html including installing the USB Driver ? What results do you get from the PICcheck program ?

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old May 23, 2008, 09:48 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,246 Posts
Jose,
Make sure to remove the Spectra module when using the Optic 6 with any sim, this way there is no RF output and the module won't overheat as it would running with the antenna collapsed, also you'll get many more hours before needing to charge the batteries
Good luck,
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old May 23, 2008, 11:56 AM
Crash=change of flying medium
Boulder, CO
Joined May 2002
1,358 Posts
> thats the reason i opted for usb intead on serial or mic input
I believe that the "USB" interface from TTI is merely a Serial PIC interface with an integrated COM->USB bridge. When it's plugged into a USB port of a PC, a new COM port shows up, and PPJoy drivers need to be configured to work with this COM port.

Several years ago, this approach was acceptable, as it offered a (marginally) lower cost of the interface. Today, when there's plenty of true USB interfaces to choose from, it's probably not worth all the trouble...
bluesky123 is offline Find More Posts by bluesky123
Old May 23, 2008, 10:19 PM
Joined Oct 2006
474 Posts
thxs for your time guys im still trying but with your help i think we can make it work.

but dunno what to do next i already installed the drivers, says new hid is ready to use, but then i dont find it in any place on the control panel, or task bar, etc.
pic joy says no signal found and ppjoy is a virtual joystick and doesnt let me do anything. i want to use the tx with my no interlink G2. but no even fms works.
soo what to do??
Last edited by jaas75; May 23, 2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old May 24, 2008, 04:26 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Quote:
the person who sold me the interface didnt send me any software or cd, just the interface.
then i went to the tti web page and downloaded the ppjoy and but i didnt see any driver to download just a cd that they give you (which i was told i dont need).
Most USB interfaces use a standard HID that is recognised by Windows and you don't need any drivers (other that which form part of the standard windows installation).

Unless the device uses dedicated USB UART type chips, I would edge my bets that it uses one of the standard PIC micro chips that have USB connectivity built in. This would contain the cod for the HID descriptor that should appear when you connect the device to your PC.

Looking back over the threads there are several possible reasons why it won't work:

1) - its faulty ! - by that I mean that there is either a physical fault such as a dry joint, loose wire or that the PIC is blown

2) - its faulty !! - in that the PIC's timing xtal is damages and the thing won't run

3) - There is a issue with the USB ports on your PC

4) - The device is working fine, but there is a problem / compatibility issue with it working with your TX

5) - The device is working fine, the TX is working fine, but the software simply doesn't recoginse the device or data stream

Given the price of USB interfaces, from $10 - $50 I would simply purchase a new one and get on with enjoying life, rather than fuffing about trying to solve this !
Old May 25, 2008, 12:46 AM
Joined Oct 2006
474 Posts
im not fuffing im just saying if you buy something you wanted to work, an i still hope to make it work somehow.
i know 10-30 dls is not to much but i had to work to earn them and i dont want to give them for free unless is charity or to benefit a good cause.
even if a return the item i waste time and money in the shipping

thxs all for your help

jose
Old May 25, 2008, 09:00 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Jose, sorry to say that's life. Sometimes we buy things and for whatever reason we can't get them to work with other bits of kit. You either try something else, or return the item for exchange / refund, however often the shipping costs make that a waste of time ot money.

Years ago there were just two "standards" for PPm signals from a TX (negative shift or positive shift PPM, unmixed 1-2ms pulse with a 20ms sync frame) and most manufactures stuck to this. However in recent years we've seen loads of other TX's come out with their own protocol, which makes it difficult for sim interface manufactures to cater for. It could simply be that the interface you have won't work with your TX !

I've offered suggestion, but in the end its going to be yur chice as to how you move forward with this