SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2014, 01:17 PM
Joined Oct 2014
5 Posts
Discussion
F480-1 vs D480A Saw Filter

Hi Everyone,

So this would be my second post on rcgroup. This is for everyone trying to upgrade their vrx and they don't know that they're upgrading the same identical saw filter.

At first I was a bit concerned about 1.3ghz vrx I bought from readymaderc. Here's the link of the Vrx. Because it is being currently marketed as "saw filter upgrade PRE-INSTALLED". So due to my curiosity, I opened up the casing and I am expecting to see a D480A saw filter, but what's on it was a F480-1 saw filter. I thought RMC sent me a wrong item but later on I found out that F480-1 is almost identical to D480A.

Here's the datasheet of both.

ESC-D480A (The famous saw filter) ---> datasheet

F480-1 ---> datasheet

As you all can see, they have the same Pass Bandwidth of 17MHZ

I've already ground tested this Vrx together with its 800mw transmitter using the 1280Mhz channel and my ezuhf lite receiver and put my ezuhf tx to Low/High power settings. So far, I've never expected any interence with 433mhz ezuhf. I even tried putting the ezuhf transmitter beside the Vrx and doing lot of possible roll and bank of the antenna of the Ezuhf Tx, but still NO inteference. So indeed, I am right with my conclusion.
jbhawk is offline Find More Posts by jbhawk
Last edited by jbhawk; Oct 23, 2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: typo error
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2014, 01:33 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhawk View Post
This is for everyone trying to upgrade their vrx and they don't know that they're upgrading the same identical saw filter.
Don't think there's any reason anyone would be doing that though. .
If you buy a VRX that is advertized as having had the SAW filter mod done, then
there's no reason to believe that it has not been done. You proved that your
VRX had an appropriately upgraded SAW filter (may have been done
at the factory).

If you had bought a VRX that did not have the SAW filter mod, you'd see something
different in there. The SAW filter on the stock digital display VRXs is unmarked.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2014, 01:44 PM
Joined Oct 2014
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Don't think there's any reason anyone would be doing that though. .
If you buy a VRX that is advertized as having had the SAW filter mod done, then
there's no reason to believe that it has not been done. You proved that your
VRX had an appropriately upgraded SAW filter (may have been done
at the factory).

If you had bought a VRX that did not have the SAW filter mod, you'd see something
different in there. The SAW filter on the stock digital display VRXs is unmarked.
I read couple of FPVers in other forums doing the same stuff because they do believe they have wrong filter, they're summoned by the famous " Use D480A saw filter to give you no-interference FPV flight". So I posted this bit-of-knowledge to help someone out here having the question I had before. And I opened the Vrx just to be sure I received what I bought and as per what's been advertised.

RMRC also only stated "SAW Filter installed" without any specs/item label of what they really installed to the device. So my curiosity really striked my head to open up the case and see what's really inside.
Last edited by jbhawk; Oct 23, 2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 02:08 PM
Joined Oct 2014
5 Posts
One thing more, if you have any video receiver 900-1.3ghz with a NM480-2 SAW FILTER INSTALLED, then YOU REALLY NEED A SAW UPGRADE to avoid any interference with LRS UHF out there.

Based on what I've digged up from the internet, here's the datasheet of NM480-2. It has 27Mhz pass bandwidth!! That's wide, and we don't need it in FPV.