HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2014, 09:20 AM
Olhão Algarve Portugal
Joined Feb 2009
1 Posts
Video
Pen Duick 1/8 made in Portugal

Hello everyone
I am here to show you i vídeo of a RC model boat made by a friend Carlos Mariano, which i think is worth of being seen. Every modellers should like to see.

Pen Duick 1:8 RC by Carlos Mariano (17 min 52 sec)

Thank you all!
ArtMar is offline Find More Posts by ArtMar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2014, 05:30 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Beautiful!!!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:59 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,410 Posts
I agree with Aerominded :-)

If your friend is open to suggestions:
He uses his water rudder "hard over" quite a bit (if the tiller is any guide, anyway). His boat (and all boats) will maintain speed better if the course is set using sail trim (adjusting the sheets), rather than water rudder movements. That is, the sails make "air rudders" that work very well, and cause less drag usually.

Certainly you don't want the water rudder fighting the air rudders (sails). Anytime you are trying to sail a straight course, and find you have to use lots of water rudder, then you will speed up the boat if you adjust the sheets so that you don't have to use excessive water rudder. Hard over, the rudder acts like a brake when you are trying to sail a straight course.

Basically, if the boat is always trying to head into the wind, then slack the main sheet a bit. Conversely, if the boat is always trying to turn away from the wind, then slack the jib sheets (or tighten the main sheet).

Hope this helps.

Again, beautiful model, a joy to see on the water. Thanks for posting the video!
Brooks is online now Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Oct 18, 2014, 02:10 AM
United Kingdom, Lanivet
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Just came across this thread and WOW!! What an absolutely stunningly beautiful model. Having grown up in the era when Eric Tabarly was busy setting his phenomenal records aboard the various 'Pen Duicks' I've always admired both the man and his yachts.

Has your friend got any other amazing models that you also have film footage of? If so, I & I'm sure many, many others would love to see them.

Regards,

Row
TwisterJ is offline Find More Posts by TwisterJ