HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2014, 09:28 PM
United States, IN, Greensburg
Joined Jun 2014
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlina View Post
AJ450...I like the idea, but yes, indoors it would be messy. I want to buy a bulk lot of 'kinetic sand' and do something similar. That stuff is a bit expensive though and buying more vehicles is more of a priority at the moment.

So the going has been slow on making terrain and I want to get some of my ideas out of my head and into a physical form but time is the challenge right now. Stupid responsibilities

Here is a video that shows some of the plaster moldings I have made so far for terrain as well as a few cardboard jumps I bought ages ago and some track markers. I kept beaching it on the plaster moldings but it was mainly because I had the battery cover off as I was running a 1S LiPo up under the body.

http://youtu.be/Im3PbP_ojVE
Very nice track I love the way you made it modular, bravo Inlina.I tried using dirt for my indoor crawler course last winter, your right its dirty even if you glue it.I actually tried craft glue and a ton of hairspray to harden the surface, the traction on dirt is so poor the tires rip it up into dust and stuff.You would need to epoxy it and then it would look fake.

Over the past few months I've been slowly gathering model railroading and architectural materials so I can build a new track soon with cleaner materials that are easier to use in a realistic way.I know your main priority is new cars but I've spent alot of time researching terrain and id be more then happy sharing the materials I've bought and techniques I've seen if you'd like me to.
micromodder is online now Find More Posts by micromodder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2014, 03:36 AM
Joined Apr 2014
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micromodder View Post
I know your main priority is new cars but I've spent alot of time researching terrain and id be more then happy sharing the materials I've bought and techniques I've seen if you'd like me to.
By all means let me know what your ideas for materials are. There was on thing I saw the train guys using that was a cross between paper mache and plaster. I went looking for it over here and it's quite expensive.

I have a couple of weekends without anything planned at this stage so I am looking at doing some more plaster moulds, but this time I will carve my own cavities into some foam. The other one I am pretty much ready to do is paper mache. I should probably also have a go at constructing some simple cardboard jumps as a precursor to making some out of plywood. I also want to make a berm for a 180 degree turn somehow.
inlina is offline Find More Posts by inlina
Old Jul 01, 2014, 09:32 AM
Joined Jun 2014
373 Posts
Quote:
By all means let me know what your ideas for materials are. There was on thing I saw the train guys using that was a cross between paper mache and plaster. I went looking for it over here and it's quite expensive.

I have a couple of weekends without anything planned at this stage so I am looking at doing some more plaster moulds, but this time I will carve my own cavities into some foam. The other one I am pretty much ready to do is paper mache. I should probably also have a go at constructing some simple cardboard jumps as a precursor to making some out of plywood. I also want to make a berm for a 180 degree turn somehow.
What about using the bottom of a large paint bucket to get your 180* then lining it with paper mache to get the berm?You can probably cut up one large bucket and use its rounded profile in a few places.

One really helpful thing I've found is the green foam blocks used to hold artificial flowers.Its a lot easier to find then model railroading grasses and inexpensive.I bought an entire grass kit but I'm just going sand florist foam over my glue so I can save my expensive grass kit to blend.I will probably use grout for tile in alot of places to save on the cost.Really thin grout might be a nice way to paint your paper mache to hide its seams and give it a dirt feel.

I was going to ask about casting plaster rocks but since your already planning it please let me know if you find ways to save money making molds.

One of my big problems will be waterproofing plaster.Banggood has submersible aquarium pumps that are extremely inexpensive, I bought one so I can add a small stream because the air gets dry in my house, I thought it look nice and function.But I'm terrified of what can happen to a plaster river bed lol.Most people use spray sealer but it will be hard to control a spray can on a stream so small and add to the cost.I'm thinking about glueing strips of clear plastic food wrapper into my streams bed to create a seamless plastic chute then glueing sand and gravel down to hide the plastic.If you already have plaster and plastic food wrapping then all you need is a pump.You could make it to ford or jump over and if it turns out nice that section of track can be a car diorama/display.

I was actually planning to start my course around the same time so I'll be excited to see what you think of between now and then.I already started molding plaster rocks.I'll start a build thread when I start on its foundation.
Old Jul 02, 2014, 07:23 AM
Joined Apr 2014
30 Posts
A list of ideas I originaly had is here.. http://livingroomraceway.com/10-idea...track-terrain/

I keep adding to it as I learn more though. There is this stuff called Sugru which is interesting but expensive (http://sugru.com/). There is a cheaper way of making something similar that I want to try.... http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...tute/?ALLSTEPS

For foam I have done a lot of reading on the stuff commonly referred to as 'blue foam' which is extruded polystyreme foam. They use it in architectural and signage applications but it's fundamentally used for insulation for commercial cold rooms. The Warehammer guys and railroad guys love it as it is quite robust. I read that it actually chips of with a chisel to make realistic rock formations.

Hopefully this weekend I'll see if this idea of casting plaster is forms made of cheap packaging foam works. I am concerned that plaster isn't super robust and I have looked for ways to improve that and so far using white/PVA/Elmers glue is the only thing I have turned up. Sealing it may help but that looks like it will be a challenge.

What about actual 'rocks', as in large stones for a micro scale. Using ployurethane adhesive or even hot glue on a wood substrate to make formations for a micro crawler might work. I was going to use the decorative river stones and pebble from the hardware store for this on my track.

I will extend on the bucket idea for berms. I don't know if I will find a bucket big enough as it will need to be about a 500mm diameter or more, but I can easily create a form like that with wood. I'll work on that.

How about fibre glass for your terrain? One of the hobby shops here had some forms for 1:10 crawlers that looked to be fibre glass. You have to be careful working with it (the epoxy is pretty vicsious and you need to handle the glass carefully), but you could use stones and rocks to build the form over. You could also make your stream and pond from it. I am considering using it in the future but it's not high on my list.

So many possibilities and so little time!
Old Jul 03, 2014, 08:19 AM
Joined Jun 2014
373 Posts
Quote:
A list of ideas I originaly had is here.. http://livingroomraceway.com/10-idea...track-terrain/

I keep adding to it as I learn more though. There is this stuff called Sugru which is interesting but expensive (http://sugru.com/). There is a cheaper way of making something similar that I want to try.... http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...tute/?ALLSTEPS

For foam I have done a lot of reading on the stuff commonly referred to as 'blue foam' which is extruded polystyreme foam. They use it in architectural and signage applications but it's fundamentally used for insulation for commercial cold rooms. The Warehammer guys and railroad guys love it as it is quite robust. I read that it actually chips of with a chisel to make realistic rock formations.

Hopefully this weekend I'll see if this idea of casting plaster is forms made of cheap packaging foam works. I am concerned that plaster isn't super robust and I have looked for ways to improve that and so far using white/PVA/Elmers glue is the only thing I have turned up. Sealing it may help but that looks like it will be a challenge.

What about actual 'rocks', as in large stones for a micro scale. Using ployurethane adhesive or even hot glue on a wood substrate to make formations for a micro crawler might work. I was going to use the decorative river stones and pebble from the hardware store for this on my track.

I will extend on the bucket idea for berms. I don't know if I will find a bucket big enough as it will need to be about a 500mm diameter or more, but I can easily create a form like that with wood. I'll work on that.

How about fibre glass for your terrain? One of the hobby shops here had some forms for 1:10 crawlers that looked to be fibre glass. You have to be careful working with it (the epoxy is pretty vicsious and you need to handle the glass carefully), but you could use stones and rocks to build the form over. You could also make your stream and pond from it. I am considering using it in the future but it's not high on my list.

So many possibilities and so little time!
I haven't tried it yett but I read that it helps to spray soapy water over your mold before you pour plaster.That way the plaster releases easily.

I've seen alot of people use the blue foam you mentioned.That stuff works great but spray paints can actually melt alot of foams.Be sure to test a small section with your paints before spending alot of time on it.It will definetly help keep your track nice and light though.

I tried making a obstacle similar to a mud pit out of foam.I took a bunch of packaging foam and chopped/diced it up into the smallest chunks I could make, not fine like dust just tiny little foam pebbles I can easily sweep into a dust pan.Its actually a lot of fun for a free obstacle, it reminds me more of silt beds you see in rally racing then mud since the cars push the foam out of the way instead of it sucking them down.You just need to make a small channel/pit to contain the foam chunks as you drive through them.At this scale size you could probably cut a 2liter bottle in half to paper mache around to make a nice silt bed full of foam.The amount of foam you dump into the pit will control how challenging it is.

Id try to avoid real rocks.After you epoxy it the traction will change and your slipping on epoxy.Its nice being able to use white glue or even plaster as a glue since we are both already using it.Great idea about adding white glue to my plaster!I will start trying that.Extremely small pebbles will work with white glue, anything heavy should be plaster though so it stays in place easily.

I like your fiber glass idea alot but I've already got the price of a micro car invested in plaster, molds and railroading supplies.I think my idea about making a plastic chute in the creek bed is my best bett.The hard part will be designing a waterfall that doesn't splatter as the water falls and hits the creek bed.It would slowly ruin places I haven't water proofed.I guess I need to make water trickle instead of fall.
Old Jul 03, 2014, 10:00 PM
Joined Apr 2014
30 Posts
An interesting playlist of a model railroader working with extruded polystyrene foam. He talks about everything from tools, glue, paints and how to work with it. It look like it is pretty robust stuff. On reading some of the Warhammer game type forums they like it's robustness as they tend to transport their game boards.

Model Railroad Scenery using Extruded Foam
Old Aug 20, 2014, 04:34 PM
United States, OK, Beggs
Joined Jun 2014
80 Posts
pretty cool
buildingbuddy is offline Find More Posts by buildingbuddy
Old Aug 22, 2014, 08:49 PM
Joined Apr 2014
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildingbuddy View Post
pretty cool
Thanks.

For those of you playing along at home you'll have noticed I haven't posted much lately. My daughter and I have bought a Losi Micro SCT but we have not had a chance to do much with the track since then. I am hoping to get back into it soon once I get over the hump of a couple of other things I have to do (like find a new job).

CG
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:38 PM
Researches but never buys
Joined Aug 2014
46 Posts
What are the scales and dimensions of the cars you are using. Personally, I don't think that cars that are 7 inches long should be considered "micro."
DrGoob is offline Find More Posts by DrGoob
Old Aug 24, 2014, 04:57 PM
United States, OK, Beggs
Joined Jun 2014
80 Posts
i think they should be
buildingbuddy is offline Find More Posts by buildingbuddy
Old Aug 24, 2014, 06:11 PM
Joined Aug 2014
46 Posts
Try rebuilding the jumps out of wood. I think it should then hold up better. Also I was thinking you could use some sort of clay to simulate dirt (glacier silt is what I will probably get, because there is construction behind my house, and they dug some up, or maybe Campbell creek? I'll send you some if you'd like, to try it, see if you like the consistency of it. But it drys out after a while. Water it like you would a potted plant, when it starts drying. I could start a business with this! Just thinking out loud.) Or maybe try using epoxy (I prefer hot glue instead of epoxy, but since you were talking about epoxy) to attach a thick layer of brown stained plaster crumbs to the track for dirt? Also Lowe's has this brown paper you can make paper mache out of, then crumble like the plaster Idea. And you were talking about Sugru, here is something similar called Instamorph that is slightly cheaper ( http://www.amazon.com/InstaMorph-Mol.../dp/B003QKLJKQ ).

I am eager to help people, so I often comment twice in a row. It annoys some people a lot. And I am obsessed with parentheses.
Last edited by DrGoob; Aug 24, 2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:55 PM
Joined Apr 2014
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGoob View Post
What are the scales and dimensions of the cars you are using. Personally, I don't think that cars that are 7 inches long should be considered "micro."
My Losi Micro Desert Truck is 5.7" or 145mm long. The Losi Micro SCT is 6.4" or 163mm long. Both come in under your threshold and yes, the Micro SCT does feel like it is right on the edge of being a micro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGoob View Post
Try rebuilding the jumps out of wood. I think it should then hold up better. Also I was thinking you could use some sort of clay to simulate dirt (glacier silt is what I will probably get, because there is construction behind my house, and they dug some up, or maybe Campbell creek? I'll send you some if you'd like, to try it, see if you like the consistency of it. But it drys out after a while. Water it like you would a potted plant, when it starts drying. I could start a business with this! Just thinking out loud.) Or maybe try using epoxy (I prefer hot glue instead of epoxy, but since you were talking about epoxy) to attach a thick layer of brown stained plaster crumbs to the track for dirt? Also Lowe's has this brown paper you can make paper mache out of, then crumble like the plaster Idea. And you were talking about Sugru, here is something similar called Instamorph that is slightly cheaper ( http://www.amazon.com/InstaMorph-Mol.../dp/B003QKLJKQ ).
My original list of ideas... http://livingroomraceway.com/10-idea...track-terrain/

I have come up with more since then. The one I am not really keen on using anything that is not solid...ie, dirt or sand. I am considering kinetic sand as that is bound with a polymer.

I made some plaster casting recently using mold I carved into foam. The texture I got as a result was actually quite cool.

I also have a couple of polymer clays now. One is air drying and the other is oven bake to harden. Those are easy to use so I just need to dive in and make something from them.

CG
Old Sep 02, 2014, 10:40 PM
Joined Aug 2014
46 Posts
Quote:
My Losi Micro Desert Truck is 5.7" or 145mm long. The Losi Micro SCT is 6.4" or 163mm long. Both come in under your threshold and yes, the Micro SCT does feel like it is right on the edge of being a micro.
Hove you thought about getting a WL Toys truck? They are good quality cars for a low price. I personally think the l939 and a999 look the best for what you are trying to do.

Quote:
I also have a couple of polymer clays now. One is air drying and the other is oven bake to harden. Those are easy to use so I just need to dive in and make something from them.
Try making something like rocks with the clays. Or you could make a crawler race option and do boulders. Or both. I have always been a big proponent of options.

By the way, you can make your own kinetic sand by mixing some Polydymithylsiloxane (or (C2H6OSi)n - chemistry formula - and is that a mouthful!) with ordinary sand.

By the way, to make kinetic sand and the Polydymithylsiloxane do these simple steps:

Mix liquid silicone with silicone curing agent (10 grams silicone per 0.5 grams of curing agent). Then, after you have done that, mix it with sand (1 gram silicone solution per 49 grams of sand - or, to make it simple, make 2 grams silicone solution and 98 grams sand).

And how it works:

The silicone + the curing agent = Polydimithylsiloxane or PDMS as it is commonly called. The Polydimithylsiloxane is the polymer (poly meaning "many" or "large" and mer meaning "molecule") in kinetic sand, while the sand is just ordinary sand.
Last edited by DrGoob; Sep 10, 2014 at 08:41 PM.