Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:59 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,128 Posts
Mini-Review
WLtoys V922 6-Channel CP Flybarless Helicopter Mini-Review

Introduction

I have always wanted a 6-channel flybarless micro helicopter. Things did not turn out well when I got a near dead-on-arrival Solo Pro 180. When I got news that WLtoys would be releasing one, I told myself - I must get it! There had been much speculations on V922. The main advantage seems to be its low cost and (apparently) suitable for beginners; but it has several disadvantages such as a incompatible with 9X, the accompanied transmitter is non-programmable, and the tail (apparently) does not hold well. The focus of this review is to examine the advantages and disadvantages of this 6CH FBL micro helicopter. Let’s check out the packaging!

Packaging

The package is well protected by tape and foam wrapping.

The box looks pretty attractive too.

And after opening the foam packaging, I saw my baby sleeping cozily in his cot!

V922 vs the Rest

The V922 looks great!

I took him out and compared with his older brother.

They are about the same size.

Obviously the younger brother looks better without the flybar. But that fat chin could be improved though.

And let’s see how small he is when standing besides a 450-sized helicopter.

What are you looking at?

V922 Close Ups

This time round, no more “Corter” but I found WLtoys trademark hidden on the rotor blades.

The swashplate came perfectly level out-of-the-box! No further tweaking of the linkage rods is needed.

The tail motor holder looks sturdy, much better than the V911. The big tail blades looks like it should be capable of holding the tail as the helicopter executes pitch pumps.

The receiver board with the flybarless system is mounted vertically.

The sample I received is labelled CYH100-V1.4 2011-12-13.

Even though the three linear servos are covered by the canopy, they are likely to get dirty after some time.

[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8493/8309296721_af2abbf653_z.jpg[/img]

Build Quality

Some parts of the helicopter could be improved. The four grommets on the canopy fall off very easily. They are tiny and would be lost very easily. The skids are extremely soft. It’s just as soft as the skids found on the first generation of V911. The body frame is also soft and flexes when slight amount of force is applied. I could flex the receiver board and I wonder if this would affect the flybarless system.

When I examined the main rotor blades, they seem to be rather loose, and I had to tighten just a little bit. The canopy is made from soft plastic film, and mine cracked after a bad crash. The tail boom could be improved as it cracked after a crash too. My non-stock battery does not fit snuggly into the battery bay, and I’m worried that the battery movement may affect the flybarless system.

Transmitter

The transmitter is a big leap from the previous E728. It looks and feels like a hobby grade transmitter.

It supports Modes 1 to 4 - throttle and/or rudder can be on the left or right stick. Be sure to verify the mode of the transmitter before flight. Mine came as Mode 4 and I needed to press and hold the “Down” button to toggle to Mode 1.

The transmitter feels sturdy and grippy. This is especially important for a micro CP helicopter. You want to hold the transmitter firmly so you can focus flying the tiny helicopter.

Batteries

As DHL does not allow the stock lipo batteries to be shipped with the RTF package, I had to fly mine with Turnigy Nanotech 300mAh 1S 35C 3.7V (for mCPX) batteries that I had bought from HobbyKing.

The package came with two charging cables that allow the batteries to be charged through the Walkera Losi ports. This is the exact same connector found on batteries for Solo Pro 100, 125, V939, Mini Pet, etc.

While I could charge them with the stock charger, I don’t think I’d wanna do that. I have two ways to connect the batteries to my Turnigy Accucell-6 (similar to B6 IMAX).

The first way is to use a parallel charging harness.

The second way is use a 3x1S charging harness.

The mCPX Nanotechs resemble the Solo Pro 100 Nanotechs that I bought for my V939.

Top: Nanotech for quads; bottom: Nanotech for mCPX.

Nanotech battery for my quad inserted into the V922

I have no difficulty inserting the Nanotech battery for my quads into the V922 battery bay. To use these batteries, I’d have to change the power connector that is soldered to the board.

Normal vs Idle-Up

The first thing I did upon powering up the helicopter, was to visually examine the pitch settings. Yes, the swash is nicely leveled so no additional work is required. The following photos show throttle stick position vs pitch angles. But due to my camera position, the pitch shown in the photos may not appear to be the same as my pitch measurement. My pitch measurements are estimated with a pitch gauge for 450-sized helicopters.

Normal mode, Throttle 0%: Pitch appears to be -2 degrees, or approx. 40%.

Normal mode, Throttle 50%: Pitch appears to be +1 degree, or approx. 55%.

Normal mode, Throttle 100%: Pitch appears to be +7 degrees, or approx. 63%.

Idle-Up, Throttle 0%: Pitch appears to be -11 degrees, or approx. 0%.

Idle-Up, Throttle 50%: Pitch appears to be 0 degrees, or approx. 50%.

Idle-Up, Throttle 100%: Pitch appears to be +11 degrees, or approx. 100%.

Pitch range for elevator and aileron is +/- 6 degrees.

Flight Experience

Let me start off with my background. I think I’m an experienced V911 and V929/V939/V949 pilot . I started flying a 450-sized CP helicopter about 6 months ago. While I can fly my KDS 450QS pretty well, I can’t do 3D. This V922 is my first micro CP helicopter, so I am unable to compare its flight characteristics with other similar birds e.g. mCPX or Walkera Mini CP.

This helicopter flies nothing like the V911 or the toy quads that I have experience with. On a scale of 1 (easiest) to 10 (hardest), V911 would be 1, V949 would be 2, V939 would be 3, V929 would be 4, and... V922 would be... 10!

I find it difficult to fly not because it is a CP helicopter, but because of its small size, which makes estimating its movement (for applying counter stick movements) and orientation tough. Maybe I’m just not used to a micro CP helicopter.

The throttle and pitch curves for Normal and Idle-Up are actually OK. If they were configurable, I wouldn’t touch them at all. Cyclic rates and expos are also OK for me. The only issue I have with the TX is slow rudder. Unlike the V911 which has a super sensitive rudder, this one is much slower. I wish I could increase the rudder rate by 25%. It hovers at 65% throttle at Normal Mode. Upon activating Idle-Up, the helicopter drops perhaps 30cm.

I flew two batteries in a small room and two batteries at a badminton court. I could hover it in the room but not execute banked turns. At the badminton court, I had a hard time getting the bird to fly slowly. It was too easy to send the V922 flying at too fast a pace for a flying in a small area.

The fluttering sound the blades make during sudden pitches is awesome! You can even hear them in Normal mode.

My Thoughts

In addition to examining the V922 in detail, I’d like to share my views on the following questions that I had brought up earlier.

Is this reasonably price (low cost)? To my knowledge, the next contender is Skyartec Wasp Nano CP. It’s a little more expensive but it does come with a programmable transmitter. To a micro CP beginner, I think the V922 is sufficient to learn the basics of flying CP helicopters. And it costs below USD100 shipped, it sure makes it a great deal!

Is this suitable for beginners? If I do not have any experience with CP helicopters, I’m very sure my V922 would be destroyed shortly after it lifts off the ground. To all CP beginners, please adjust your expectations. If you are new or perhaps quite familiar with 4-channel fixed pitch helicopters, then I don’t think this is suitable for you. If you have experience with CP helicopters (i.e. CP beginners), then this helicopter is suitable for you.

Is the non-programmable transmitter a problem? As far as I’m concern, the transmitter is fine. I’m quite pleased with the default settings.

Is the tail holding well? I experienced very slight drifting (needing left rudder correction) even when the battery is fresh. But this is not a big issue as the drift is extremely minute.

Conclusion

I am glad that WLtoys V922 did not disappoint me. The bird is priced reasonably and so far, I find it to be a great performer. I would use it to learn 3D flight and one day, I will be able to pull off 3D moves with my 450-sized helicopter!

Gallery

Indoor Video:
WLtoys V922 6-Channel Flybarless Micro Helicopter - Indoor Hovering Exercise (1 min 54 sec)

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fyresg/...7632345486786/

Pros
+ Reasonably priced (the bird as well as replacement parts)
+ Quite stable to handle
+ TX has a trainer port that could work with popular simulators

Cons
- Skids, canopy and tail boom seem fragile
- Uses mCPX style batteries (I’d prefer to use the bunch of micro quads batteries on this bird)

Special thanks to Aaron from Banggood for sending me the V922 for this review!
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,128 Posts
Updates

Warning: please check the bird for loose parts, especially the screws holding the blade grip tightly to the feathering shaft, as well as the bolts securing the rotor blades in place.

Comments from other pilots

I went to the field and invited four 3D helicopter pilots to try my V922. The ability to switch between Modes 1 and 2 is a godsend because two of them are Mode 1 pilots and two are Mode 2.

Being MCPX owners, they felt it to behave very similar to the MCPX. They were impressed that the RTF package was well made. Particularly, they found the tail to be holding well. They felt that the bulleted blades may be responsible for the high stability, but advised me to swap to the non-bulleted ones for 3D flight.

Damien then took my V922 for some 3D fun!

WLtoys V922 6-Channel Flybarless Micro Helicopter - 3D Flight #1 (3 min 19 sec)

Resources

Bolt MCPX Upgrades for V922 / FBL100

Introduction

I suggested to Aaron to sell Bolt MCPX upgrade parts as I believe V922 / FBL100 would be interested to try them. After working closely with Bolt, the parts are finally on available. Thanks to Aaron, I got to review the High Performance Tail Motor, Non Bulleted Main Rotor Blades, and DIY Canopy.

High Performance Tail Motor

After about 40 flights, the stock tail motor couldn’t take the load of the helicopter during fast circuits. I need to get a replacement fast! While I could get another stock motor, I wondered if the Bolt MCPX motor would work on my V922.

The package looked neat and simple.

From the product page, it states a peak performance of 534,000 rpm. While I’m not sure of the rpm of the stock motor, the specs seems really amazing. I’m not sure if this was a gimmick?

Instead of providing short wires to be soldered to the light-weight enamel wires, it comes with long red/black wires.

The “Bolt” logo adds a nice touch to the motor.

The tail blade fits snugly onto the shaft just like fitting onto the stock tail motor.

The wires are thick and only one of the two fits in the tail boom. This means both wires can’t run inside the tail boom.

The tail motor fits very tightly into the tail holder. Getting it in or out can be tricky. Be careful not to damage the wires.

After soldering the red wire to the red wire, black wire to the black wire, I discovered that the tail motor was spinning in the opposite direction! I soldered the red to the black, black to the red, and the tail motor works normally.

So the wires have to wrap round the boom. To reduce boom damage, I used a 12.7mm solid carbon rod as the tail boom. Unlike wrapping the enamel wires, these wires have rubber housing to protect them from wear and tear. As a precaution, I used yellow heat shrink tube to protect them from damage.

As I just attached the new tail motor, I have not flown it hard to know if it works well. I’ll update when I get time to fly it.

Pros: ...
Cons: …

Non Bulleted Main Rotor Blades

I really like the bright yellow blades. The “disc” of rotor blades appears to glow during evening flights. The blades are flexible and light.

As compared to the other blades, it’s a little shorter.

The blades felt slightly stiffer than the stock bulleted blades, but definitely more flexible than the white HobbyKing ones.

The tiny “B” logo looks cool. I’m going to draw some lines on the blades to make it look even nicer.

I took it for a short flight. The flexible, non bulleted blades makes the heli more prone to wind effects. When the wind was blowing, I found it more difficult to hover at a spot than the bulleted blades or the heavier, non bulleted blades.

Fast circuits with these blades seem ok. I couldn’t tell if the blades are better for circuits. I tried a few flips and it worked well. As I’m no 3D expert, I couldn’t tell any difference. As I had used the failing stock tail motor for the test flight, the tail blew out and I had boom strike (stock tail boom). While they are flexible, they still damage the tail boom during a bad crash.

Pros: Great looks; works wonderfully at dimly lit places
Cons: Doesn’t handle winds well; may cause boom strike.

DIY Canopy

(No time to build the canopy so I could only post these photos...)

Pros: ...
Cons: …

Product Page

High Performance Tail Motor: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Mc...s-p-62170.html

Non Bulleted Main Rotor Blades: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Mc...+-p-62164.html

DIY Canopy: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Mc...r-p-64731.html

My Photo Gallery

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fyresg/...7632885294597/
Last edited by FyreSG; Sep 01, 2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Added fix to twitching issue
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:14 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
300 Posts
Thanks for the excellent review!

I got mine on xmas eve. Managed to do only two indoor flights so far. Its much easier to fly compared to my Solo pro 100d which is now in need of a new tail motor.

I agree with your findings. Its much harder to fly it than a FP heli. Minute stick movements usually translates to super quick responses. I really could just manage hovers in my living room for now. I'll take it outdoors over the weekend and see how it performs.

Its quite a good buy though to learn to fly a cp heli. I find the few of us are always the guinea pigs trying out new products. My last purchase was the mix f47 which I absolutely love it.
TFMeouch is offline Find More Posts by TFMeouch
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:06 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,462 Posts
You guys in Singapore gets your packages quick! Thanks for the mini review FyreSG. Great pictures too.

The smaller CP will require better finesse of the sticks than the 450. In a way, the 450 and larger size CP helis are easier to fly. However, less tolerance for crashes versus the micro CP helis.

The WaspCP is almost identical to the Walkera Super CP.

The WLToys is almost identical to the HiSky FBL100 and Turnigy FBL100. Which all take their design cue from the MCPX.

So, deciding between a WaspCP versus a v922 is almost like deciding between a Walkera Super CP versus the Blade MCPx.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Last edited by Daryoon; Mar 28, 2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:44 AM
...if you take the time
Israel, Tel Aviv
Joined Jul 2012
212 Posts
Great review! Love the pictures.
PurpleShark is offline Find More Posts by PurpleShark
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:16 PM
Bash crash hopefully no splash
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
686 Posts
Hi Fyre, thanks for the great mini review (and all your other informative posts!). Have been watching and waiting to take the step into CP so your experiences really assist the learning curve.

Look forward to hearing more, please keep posting!
Flyingboats is offline Find More Posts by Flyingboats
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:48 PM
Israel, jerusalem
Joined Jun 2010
22 Posts
very helpful thx
but i cant see main blades for it in banggood
and is the v911 and the v922 has the same tail motor ?
darkingdoom is offline Find More Posts by darkingdoom
Last edited by darkingdoom; Dec 26, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:46 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2012
48 Posts
Nice review! Can't wait for mine to get here.
mountainman13 is offline Find More Posts by mountainman13
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:38 PM
Australia, QLD, Kangaroo Point
Joined Mar 2012
90 Posts
Excellent review Fyre, your writing style is impressive
ruskky is offline Find More Posts by ruskky
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,128 Posts
Thanks for the compliments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFMeouch
Thanks for the excellent review!

I got mine on xmas eve. Managed to do only two indoor flights so far. Its much easier to fly compared to my Solo pro 100d which is now in need of a new tail motor.

I agree with your findings. Its much harder to fly it than a FP heli. Minute stick movements usually translates to super quick responses. I really could just manage hovers in my living room for now. I'll take it outdoors over the weekend and see how it performs.

Its quite a good buy though to learn to fly a cp heli. I find the few of us are always the guinea pigs trying out new products. My last purchase was the mix f47 which I absolutely love it.
Where did you buy your V922?

I'm surprised it's better than SP100. I actually wanted to get the SP125 BNF as I have a J6Pro from my dead SP180.

I think with your skills acquired from flying micro CPs, you should be able to fly bigger CPs or learn to fly them pretty quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
You guys in Singapore gets your packages quick! Thanks for the mini review FyreSG. Great pictures too.

The smaller CP will require better finesse of the sticks than the 450. In a way, the 450 and larger size CP helis are easier to fly. However, less tolerance for crashes versus the micro CP helis.

The WaspCP is almost identical to the Walkera Mini CP.

The WLToys is almost identical to the HiSky FBL100 and Turnigy FBL100. Which all take their design cue from the MCPX.

So, deciding between a WaspCP versus a v922 is almost like deciding between a MiniCP versus MCPx.
I'm not sure how TF got his V922 so quickly but mine is sent via the premium DHL shipping service. I am very grateful to Banggood for shipping the heli with the fastest shipping option. If it were to go by normal mail, it'll take 2.5 weeks, even though Guangdong is just a 3-hour flight away.

I have to fly my V922 more. It is more challenging that my 450! Micro helis are fun, and I may get a Wasp Nano too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShark View Post
Great review! Love the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingboats View Post
Hi Fyre, thanks for the great mini review (and all your other informative posts!). Have been watching and waiting to take the step into CP so your experiences really assist the learning curve.

Look forward to hearing more, please keep posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkingdoom View Post
very helpful thx
but i cant see main blades for it in banggood
and is the v911 and the v922 has the same tail motor ?
There is a set of spare blades in the package. You should be able to use blades for the mCPX or Mini CP too, which are quite easy to find.

Not sure about the motors but I'll check when I get off from work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Nice review! Can't wait for mine to get here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskky View Post
Excellent review Fyre, your writing style is impressive
As a non-native english speaker, I'm flattered. Thanks!

I forgot to add that the tail boom is loose and may pop out during harsh landings or light crashes. I may add some hot glue to keep it in place. But first, I need to replace the broken boom, perhaps with a Mini CP replacement tail boom.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:34 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
300 Posts
I ordered my v922 from BG. Ordered on 15 Dec and received on Xmas eve. My package was sent via HK post, probably explains the fast delivery time.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:09 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
300 Posts
FyreSG,

Solo Pro 100D is actually quite crappy and not easy to fly at all. After tweaking the settings on the transmitter, I still found difficulty controlling it. Somehow the controls are more twitchy compared to the V922. I had no luck flying it indoors except to hover it.

As for the V922, so far I could manage a tail in hover, followed by some round circuits around my living room. That is with very careful stick control. The heli seems to hold well despite reports of tail drift problems.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:13 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFMeouch View Post
I ordered my v922 from BG. Ordered on 15 Dec and received on Xmas eve. My package was sent via HK post, probably explains the fast delivery time.
My RTF package was sent via DHL express service, but they rejected it due to the 2 miserable lipos! The package went back to BG who extracted the batteries before resending it via DHL. All that work caused the delay. I should have asked for normal shipping! Saves time, money and I get 2 more batteries! Heh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFMeouch View Post
Solo Pro 100D is actually quite crappy and not easy to fly at all. After tweaking the settings on the transmitter, I still found difficulty controlling it. Somehow the controls are more twitchy compared to the V922. I had no luck flying it indoors except to hover it.

As for the V922, so far I could manage a tail in hover, followed by some round circuits around my living room. That is with very careful stick control. The heli seems to hold well despite reports of tail drift problems.
I'm quite surprised that your SP100 is hard to fly. I suspect you're using sub-optimal settings on the transmitter. Don't you just love the non-programmable V922 transmitter? It works so well out of the box!

It's hard to fly V922 around the house, unless you live in a house like Bruce Wayne's mansion, or you're Tareq Alsaadi.

Updates

My V922 tail wags 2-3 times once in a while during forward flight and banked turns. Not sure if the broken tail boom caused the tail wag. Did anyone else experience tail wag?

I taped the tail boom in an attempt to contain the crack from splitting the boom length-wise. I also applied UHU glue to the tail boom socket to prevent it from coming off easily.

Unlike V911, left banked turns with V922 are as easy to execute as right banked turns. Right now, I still have difficulty executing nice left banked turns with my V911 even though I had flew it so many times!

At Idle-Up, the heli does not react as fast as I had expected when I moved the throttle stick up/down quickly. Perhaps it's due to the throttle curve for Idle-Up not set to 100-100-100-100-100? The lack of high head speed may hinder certain advanced 3D moves (not that it'll affect me anytime soon ).

It does not seem to have a low battery voltage cut. I lost track of time and suddenly, the bird lost a great deal of head speed in less than 5 seconds. After that, the motor barely moves. Good thing I was flying around slowly. Guys, keep track of your flight times!
Last edited by FyreSG; Dec 27, 2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:13 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,128 Posts
I saw some really nice paper canopies for MCPX. Would they fit on my V922? I don't have a printer with me right now... The stock canopy is dark and does not suit night flying.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:29 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
I saw some really nice paper canopies for MCPX. Would they fit on my V922? I don't have a printer with me right now... The stock canopy is dark and does not suit night flying.
Thanks for a nice review. the mCPX canopies are a direct fit. I am using a green mCPX canopy at the moment it is far more visible. I have also tried two other blades and I found the stock blades the most twitchy and agile. The yellow KBDD blades make the heli much more stable although it is a drag on 3D flight. I have settled on the non-bulleted high performance blades for the mCPX as they seem to give the best balance between stability and agility for me.

I am seeing quite a lot of vibration at the tail and I am not sure what it is due to. It could be a slightly bent feathering shaft or blades that are slight out of track. The tail holding is not that great on this heli especially in the wind. Since we cannot do anything about the gyro setting, it may be worthwhile to try different tail blades. I am using a larger Genius CP tail blade on mine at the moment. The pitch pumps aren't that great but still it is the most powerful brushed heli in its class. Of course, the pitch setting may affect the climbout rate as is servo speed.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw