SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Power Up, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:09 AM
Back Yard Flyer
Northern Ontario
Joined Mar 2007
1,586 Posts
Discussion
2012 - Another Season in the Bag…

Time flies when you’re having fun, a tad too quick for my liking. Birds are once again back in the hangar (like a month ago )

Finally took the plunge and upgraded/updated one of my Mini Titans to FBL.

Followed the Skookum set-up vids and Wizards to a Tee which led to a foolproof installation, followed by an uneventful maiden. Only managed 20 flights with it before the weather took a turn for the worse. I’m not really noticing a huge difference between it and my other Mini’s. To me… on a good day, they all fly like they are on rails. Perhaps if I flew something other than mild aerobatics the FBL set-up would have left me with more of a wow factor. Nonetheless, part count is low and it looks cool…

I may do the same for either the Logo 400 or the Trex 500. Leaning towards the Trex and a DFC head…
Power Up is offline Find More Posts by Power Up
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:53 PM
SUCK LESS
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,512 Posts
Congrats on your first FBL heli Al! She looks great too. I know what you mean - I don't think I would be able to notice a difference either with the way I fly. Can the V1's fly any better than they already do ? Besides, with all the FBL hype, Goblins, XXTremes, Synergys, stretch-this, convert-that, etc. the number of used 550-size Swifts (with flybars) hitting the markets is kicking up I've scooped one NIB kit up for 50%, and am on the fence for a loaded 600 too at 1/3 price .... Not to mention reduced prices on replacement parts and pre-painted fiberglass canopies - OMG! I think I'm at the "I have to buy that before it's gone" stage I hope it doesn't last too long ... These helis are big, and my play room is small

Hope all is well with you - time to bunker down I guess and stay warm inside

-John
FR4-Pilot is online now Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:40 PM
Back Yard Flyer
Northern Ontario
Joined Mar 2007
1,586 Posts
Hey John… Good to hear from you and thanks for the compliment . Yeah, I’ve been on the side-lines contemplating one of these forever, it seems. I suppose with all the hype that has been focused around them for the last 3-4 years, especially more recently with all the knock-offs it was inevitable that I at least try one. My skills could sure use a boost and the claims by some, how it instilled newly found confidence, somehow magically taking their flying abilities to new heights, now pulling off an array of manoeuvres with absolute ease & precision. Who wouldn’t want some of this action?

Well…. It didn’t quite pan out that way for me, although there were fleeting moments, here and there, where it did hold a defined course without pitching. On my fifth flight, although a tad apprehensive I pulled off my 1st backyard FBL flip (sounds kind of funny considering this maneuver has been part of almost every flight for the last few years) and I still manage to screw them up from time to time as in - sloppy, sloppy ! Anyhow, this one was no different than my better ones with a FB. Perhaps it exited somewhat smoother, or was that my imagination. Mind you, I am still using the default settings and I had the Pitch/Cyclic dialed back to 10/8 respectively. It was solid with no wags or wiggles, but so is a 401.

By seasons end, as mentioned in my prior post I had 20 FBL flights with 8 of them at the park. Most important- having fun and enjoying this hobby (good hobbies help make for a healthy and fulfilling lifestyle) Perhaps next year I’ll break free of the same ol’ manoeuvres.

Anyhow… who knows - FBL may grow on me and this time next season I’ll be singing a completely different tune and raving like the rest of the gang…

Yes, deals are to be had on FB stuff for sure. What a steal on your latest Swift purchase . It takes some real discipline to pass up a spectacular deal (I can’t) if there is such a thing as discipline in this hobby .

Also of note – the canopy is a beauty. Good to hear/read that you are still having a blast. Great hobby with many challenges. Your vids have been awesome and I’m sure a motivator for many…
BTW… No matter what size the hangar, us hobbyists will always manage to find a little space……….. somehow .
Power Up is offline Find More Posts by Power Up