Old Aug 02, 2013, 02:57 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkS View Post
Dear Bruce -- Great thread.

However, it's getting close to the time to shoot the engineer and build the airplane
I agree. And I'm working hard on getting to where I can finally unpack all my model building stuff and balsa.

Here's three pictures taken a couple of minutes ago. The first two shows today's progress so far in cabinets and bench for the model building area and wood working area. The third is the stack of "my life" out in the garage. Somewhere in that mess is my box of balsa and all my motors, chargers, Xacto knife and other building stuff. I don't dare even pick at the edges or I'll be knee deep in stuff and won't have a square inch of free space.

Although it looks hopeless progress is going well. I'll have the carcases placed and some other stuff done before the day is done. Then comes making the doors for the uppers and drawers for the lowers. I'm hoping that the big ribbon cutting party will be before August ends. It would be even sooner but I've got motorcycle racing this weekend and next. The curse of too many hobbies....

So I hope you'll all excuse me if I don't get to follow up on this for a few weeks yet.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2013, 09:34 AM
Hallo von Dresden
Joined Sep 2012
55 Posts
That is going to be a great shop to work in :-) I am starting work on mine next week but .... mine is sadly much smaller but I only build little models as everyone knows.

Nice work!!

Jens
Segelflieger is offline Find More Posts by Segelflieger
Old Aug 04, 2013, 10:06 AM
United States, MA, Middleboro
Joined Jul 2007
605 Posts
Nice shop Bruce!
That's right you mentioned something about moving, you made some good progress thus far.
iron eagle is offline Find More Posts by iron eagle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The third time is a charm!
Old Aug 06, 2013, 12:19 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,427 Posts
It's been a LONG 3 year battle to get this far. But along the way a lot of other needed repairs or modifications were done to ensure that the shop would not auto-convert into an indoor swimming pool. Then there's the new side entrance with the ramped pathway that you saw in the test glide videos. And another small "side job" was digging out along the rear wall to replace a rotted rim joist due to the patio being build up and burying about a foot of the wood siding above the concrete line. These things are done right NOW but a lot of time and money had to go into getting them fixed which cut down on the progress of the "serious stuff"....

Anyhow, I'm very keen on having a go with the next size up test model. If it proves controllable and trimmable even if it requires a gyro on the pitch function I'll then go ahead with a 2 meter soaring wing using the same principles. But as you can see this thread will likely do dormant for a couple of months before this happens.
Old Aug 06, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined Jul 2007
605 Posts
Sounds like a Job for Mike Holmes.

You did that new entry? Nice job!
I suspect that wheelbarrow leaning next to the door in the video got a good workout.

Hopefully these were task you knew about when you got the house and not surprises.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2013, 03:26 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,427 Posts
I knew about some and some others, like the rotting wood and poor water drainage, were surprises.

The path and retaining walls were done by a local Bobcat operator. I just planned the look, ordered and received all the gravel and blocks and other supplies were there on time. Then I acted as the "helper" that schlepped out some dirt here and there around the edges and ferried blocks from the stack to the working area in that wheel barrow.... and yes it DID get a LOT of use! ! ! ! ! No need for a Gym membership HERE!
Old Aug 07, 2013, 11:09 AM
Joined Jul 2007
605 Posts
Good luck with the repairs.
Sounds like you have an exercise program that will keep the need of a gym membership at bay for a bit!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2014, 06:45 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
i know its been a while, i may have forgotten to edit and upload the video of the modified glider
pendulum glider 2 (1 min 46 sec)

it showed more stability than the first version, good for freeflight, maybe for rc if thats what you want.

also i got some messages from a modeler in the netherlands, he is also playing with this experiment because of my video, an unexpected perk of youtube
here is the link to his thread on the dutch forum: http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/...um-zwever.html
if your browser doesn't automatically translate, google translate is good enough to get the idea of their posts.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk