HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Dec 2011
46 Posts
Help!
NiCd

Hey people

1. How fast can i charge my sanyo 4.8v 700mAh nicd battery pack?
2. At what amp for how long.

I have the Imax b6 ac charger, charging can go up to 5.0a
K1w1ana is offline Find More Posts by K1w1ana
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:35 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,723 Posts
Is that an AA size receiver pack? If so, I would recommend you charge it overnight at 0.07A (70mA) or so, using the standard wall-wart that usually comes with radio sets.

If it really is NiCd, and not NiMh, it must be pretty old now, so you need to keep an eye on how well it holds its charge.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Last edited by abenn; Feb 04, 2012 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Charge rate corrected
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:18 AM
Joined Dec 2011
46 Posts
Yes the pack is 4 x aa nicd sanyo batteries. It brand new from my local hobby store,
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:30 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Overnight charge at 50 mills for the 1st time and after that you can charge it at around 2 to 3 hundred mills
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:09 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Overnight charge at 50 mills for the 1st time and after that you can charge it at around 2 to 3 hundred mills
Oops, massive brain fart -- I should have said 70mA in my initial response, not 700 I'm going to alter the post.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:54 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
It happens to all of us
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Dec 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Sorry but what are (mills). And overnight? How many hours.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:55 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,078 Posts
110 Milli Amps and 15 hours the first time to season the pack. This is the MiA output of the Spektrum wall wart for the rx battery.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Last edited by Fokker DII; Feb 04, 2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: chng wording
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:51 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
non RAPID charging nicds are typically charged at C/10 (capacity divided by 10).
it's recommended to cycle the pack a few times before using it.

the up swing to nicd's is reliability & longevity when cared for. i have a pair of nicd flight packs that are pre 2000 still in the rotation. (tho to be fare they were well kept on the of nicd charging technology the alpha litco-4)
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Feb 05, 2012, 02:08 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1ana View Post
Sorry but what are (mills). And overnight? How many hours.
"mills" are milliamperes (or milliamps, or mA), and are one-thousandth of an amp.

"overnight" in this context is 12-14 hours.

As Toysrme has said, the usual recommended charge rate for small capacity NiCds is 1/10C, which means a charge rate of 1/10 of what the battery's mAh capacity is -- so 70mA for your 700mAh pack. It also means that it will theoretically take 10 hours to fully charge, but longer is usually recommended to ensure that each individual cell gets a full charge. At that low charge rate, charging slightly longer than theoretically necessary does no harm.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:55 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
ya. first charge on a wal-wart you get with nicd/nimh transmitter sets (notice they always have a bananna lead for the tx, and a female lead that goes to the battery or switch/charging assembly if you use them). normally calls for a 24hour charge.
after that, charge them overnight before you go fly the next day & they'll last a long time. make sure to cycle them every now and then & absolutely, positively make sure you charge them periodically when you're not regularly flying. if their state of charge goes flat for very long the cells can reverse = battery is normally shot.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:39 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,140 Posts
Check this site out for some good reliable info on how to handle your battery, Excellent advice there.
http://www.hangtimes.com/redsbatteryclinic.html
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:20 AM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Imax chargers ...

... well, I have an Imax B8 DC balance charger for my Lipos, but it does great with everything re-chargeble, even my grand-nephew's 12V truck batteries.

I was recently given a sack full of battery-packs, mostly Nimh, but some Nicads too. It (the Imax charger) has been great for re-conditioning them all, by using low charge rates & cycling them. Me, I far prefer a charger that turns it's self off automaticlly over one that doesn't

I agree with most of the afore-mentioned advice, all exept to use the wall chargers. Why, when you have a digital charger that turns it's self off automaticly?, & is so adjustable?

In my expiriance (over 20 years) with all 3 types of re-chargable batteries (Nicad, Nimh. & lipo), the most user-friendly ones have been the old Nicads, it's just too bad they're so darned heavy! They like to be stored empty, which makes them last better than Nimh.s, & they're easier to use than Lipos, & safer too. I have yet to have a lipo explossion, but I've seen one, & it was scarry!

Well, good luck with that, Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie
Old Feb 09, 2012, 01:28 PM
Joined Jul 2004
11,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
... I agree with most of the afore-mentioned advice, all exept to use the wall chargers. Why, when you have a digital charger that turns it's self off automaticly?, & is so adjustable? ...
It's maybe not widely realised that Ni batteries need balancing as well as LiPos, but they don't have balancing taps on them. So, the way to balance them is to keep the charge goining until all cells have reached full charge. The only safe way to do this is to charge at such a low rate that overcharging the cells that get to full charge before the others won't do them any harm; and that rate is about 1/10C, which is what wall-wart chargers usually put out.

Most good quality chargers rely on detecting the start of a voltage drop-off, which indicates that the battery has passed its peak, to tell them when a battery is charged. At low charge rates they find it difficult to detect any drop-off, so they don't shut down.

If you're really concerned about leaving a battery on a wall-wart charger too long, you could plug it into a timer and set it for 18 hours or so.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 03:18 PM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
That makes sence .....

... & I suppose that when I slow charge (very slow) & discharge (what's called "cycling") 3 to 5 times, I'm doing something like that.

I know that you're absolutly right about the balancing, as I'm comming from the days of racing RC10 buggies competitivly, back then some of us had chargers that would charge our cells (sub "C" Sanyos) & messure them in 6 ways. I didn't have that equipment, but hung out with sponsored racers who did.

Now do you understand why I "wax nostalgic" when talking about Sanyo Nicads? (LOL)

Anyway thanks for your expanation, true the above, abenn,

Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie