SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:53 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,962 Posts
I wouldn't go so far as to recommend avoiding beginner mode.... I know a lot of people flying the sport cub S have never even tried beginner mode, because they don't "need" it.... Well they are missing out! I am sure I don't "need" it either, but I use it all the time... It takes a great, easy flying plane, and turns it into a great, easy flying, super relaxing plane..... I have found myself often flying around in beginner mode, then flipping to advanced for some aerobatics, then back to beginner.....
I think many people think that beginner mode needs more space to fly, which isn't true, I know that's what I thought..... But in fact I found I can fly it in a smaller area in beginner mode.... With little/no wind Its easy to fly around 3 feet above the ground in a small baseball field in beginner mode... something that can be done in advanced mode, but its a lot more work, since in beginner mode the accelerometers take care of the elevator for you as you turn......

If you want to advance your skills you do need to leave beginner mode, but there is nothing wrong with coming back for a visit for a little relaxation

Also, all three modes on SAFE planes are considered "safe" modes.... Beginner uses the AS3x sensors as well as accelerometers to limit bank and pitch angle, as well as to being the plane back to level when the stick is released, intermediate is the same but allows more bank and pitch and doesn't bring the plane back to level for you , and advanced mode turns off the accelerometers, leaving just the AS3X sensors running....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2014, 04:53 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Dacaur,

I'm very familiar with the details of how AS3X & SAFE modes operate. I also agree that there's certainly nothing wrong with flying in beginner or intermediate mode even if the pilot has progressed beyond needing it. However, I've read quite a fair number of reports from experienced pilots regarding losing control of their UM Sport Cub S in gusty conditions while flying in beginner mode - due to the severely limited pitch & bank angles. Hence, my advanced mode recommendation.

Personally - flying stick-angle for AoA & bank angle feels very unnatural to me. The only times I use 'stability mode' on my quads & planes are when I want an extremely stable platform for on-board video, and when I want to fly quads in higher winds. BTW - I find flying low & slow figure-eights with the UMX Carbon Cub a wingspan or two AGL, at just a couple knots above stall to also be super relaxing - especially with the flaps extended to around 10-15 degrees.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Oct 20, 2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:17 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,962 Posts
Yea I agree that beginner mode and gusty wind aren't a good combo, especially when one is new to the plane.... After a few outings though it does get easier as you learn how the plane reacts and figure out how to counter it....

Not trying to offend when explaining safe, but I just figure even if YOU know all about it, lots of newbs reading the threads might not, so I just figured I would make a full explanation when replying about your AS3X vs "safe modes" comment. I know I hate it when I am reading and two people go off talking about something assuming everyone knows exactly what they are talking about when I am going
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur