HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:28 AM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,198 Posts
Does anyone still have the card for the guy who gave us permission to fly there? If he is still working in that capacity he could tell us what's going on. He also mentioned if this site ever were sold or developed that he had some other location(s) we could fly.
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2014, 02:59 PM
Yep! I'm addicted.....
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2012
293 Posts
I only ever spoke to him out there.
mash76 is online now Find More Posts by mash76
Old Oct 20, 2014, 03:33 PM
No Static
Joined Mar 2012
296 Posts
I know Tony says he knows the owner. I have his email and sent him a note on Sunday. Have not heard back. I will let you all know if he responds.
proving gravity is online now Find More Posts by proving gravity
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:28 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2010
418 Posts
I have his card at home and Chris has his number in his phone. We will try to get a hold of him. I believe the owners live outside the country. The guy we have permission from is the local person in charge of the property.
PlanePhil is offline Find More Posts by PlanePhil
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:13 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2010
168 Posts
What are you guys thinking we should do Saturday? I was really looking forward to being able to fly and then I saw this.
azlodaiel is online now Find More Posts by azlodaiel
Old Oct 22, 2014, 01:02 PM
Joined Oct 2010
418 Posts
Chris talked to the land manager yesterday. He said they fixed the street lights and the wire got stolen again. He was at his property in Snowflake and received some e-mails about this. We are supposed to call him tomorrow. He figures the owner may have ordered the security. He will look into the situation.

More info to follow.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 01:42 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2010
168 Posts
Thanks for the update Phil
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM
Joined Oct 2010
418 Posts
No flying this weekend still not worked out. Land manager and owners working on it.

Not sure what the outcome will be.
Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2010
168 Posts
Bummer, Thanks for the update Phil.
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM
No Static
Joined Mar 2012
296 Posts
Here is an update from Tony. I left off his attachments to this note. I won't be there to support you this weekend as I am going to be out of town. If I could be here I would be flying there on Sunday. Have fun and let me know how it works out.

That security guard has no business asking people to leave a public street. I am attaching the City of Mesa Ordinances as they relate to parking on public streets. When that security guard asked us to leave I walked over to his car and explained to him that I knew the laws and ordinances for the city of mesa. I explained to him that if James and Judy Hersey (owners) wanted us to leave they would have to have us removed by the police. Well, after 3 hours of flying the police never showed. 

Bottom line.....that is a public street. We can park there as long as we're not parked within 30 feet of the intersection or within 15 feet of a fire hydrant; both of which I have measured off and painted. The law also states that as long as we parallel park and leave at least 10 feet in street for vehicles to pass then we're legal. 

Finally, the only way the city of Mesa will have police enforce a no-standing, stopping, or parking law is if it is posted as such. That land owner is bluffing and I'm flying there this weekend and I'll have my copy of the Title 9 and Title 10 Mesa City Ordinance as they apply to our use of a public right of way. 
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM
No Static
Joined Mar 2012
296 Posts
Rest of the message

Also forgot to mention that a private security guard does not have the legal jurisdiction to enforce trespassing or transportation laws without being certified by the state of Arizona as being a law enforcement officer; and whereby the said officer (security guard) has the authority of the local municipality by the powers invested in him via a court of law and the city code, to enforce such actions as deemed enforceable by the elected body and court of that municipality. In other words, those are public streets with green signs, not blue (private) signs...and those streets are no different from residential streets where people are parked on a consistent basis. 
Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM
Joined Oct 2010
418 Posts
It's actually "Jay" and Judy. We talked with Jay Tuesday, Thursday and again today. He asked us not to fly until it's worked out. Jay is not actually the owner; he is the land manager.

Please be courteous to security hired by the land owners. We would ultimately like to be welcomed to fly on their property.
Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM
No Static
Joined Mar 2012
296 Posts
Agreed. ..I feel fortunate I did get to fly there and meet you all. Hope it works out...I was late to the party you were all having there and respect your decisions on if and when it is appropriate to be back there again.
Until then I will look for another spot. Thanks for the input!
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM
Joined Oct 2010
418 Posts
The first bowl down the street is authorized by the city on Mesa to fly in.