HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 14, 2011, 12:29 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyInKent View Post
I also have the 3648 1450 motor on order, but I am fitting it to a custom built skyfun (covered in fibre glass so a bit heavier).
I am looking to fit 2 x 3cell 2200 bats and a 100amp esc.

Anyone got any good stats for props with this kind of setup? I am looking to push @ about 1800w after I run the motor in for a bit.

The 3rd pic of me holding tthe fin shows the strength, ican hold the tip and wave the plane about with just a tiny bit of bend on the fin, this thing is rock solid with 3 layers of 48g cloth, I am very please with it so far

PS This is my 1st attempt at using GF so please dont flame me :P
on the funjet they use 6.5x6.5 on 6s also I had heard of one using 7x6 and got it to 176mph on 6s.

I will try a 5s setup on the skyfun, hoping to get a broader flying envelop, then the funjet. but I have no plan on glassing it, just a bit of carbon and maybe glassing the elevrons, if it don´t want work with that, then I will buy a funjet again.
Japac is offline Find More Posts by Japac
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2011, 02:38 PM
Retired in NC
Rich in ILM's Avatar
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japac View Post
on the funjet they use 6.5x6.5 on 6s also I had heard of one using 7x6 and got it to 176mph on 6s.

I will try a 5s setup on the skyfun, hoping to get a broader flying envelop, then the funjet. but I have no plan on glassing it, just a bit of carbon and maybe glassing the elevrons, if it don´t want work with that, then I will buy a funjet again.
It takes me around 240 watts to get to 85 mph with the skyfun 2830. That means it will take, at least, 1900 watts to get to 170 mph or 80 amps with a 6 cell battery at peak output. All numbers aprox.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 10:03 AM
Registered User
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
It takes me around 240 watts to get to 85 mph with the skyfun 2830. That means it will take, at least, 1900 watts to get to 170 mph or 80 amps with a 6 cell battery at peak output. All numbers aprox.
I dont mean to be rude, but that's just not going to happen. Things only scale up so far, remember the skyfun is a draggy delta with a 12-13% airfoil. Keep it light and float around


Ian
NinetySix is offline Find More Posts by NinetySix
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 11:21 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Okay so insted of a heavy motor, it's better to use a 2836 2350 with a 4's and a 7x4 prop
Japac is offline Find More Posts by Japac
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 11:34 AM
Retired in NC
Rich in ILM's Avatar
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetySix View Post
I dont mean to be rude, but that's just not going to happen. Things only scale up so far, remember the skyfun is a draggy delta with a 12-13% airfoil. Keep it light and float around


Ian
Drag is drag. That is why I used the Skyfun numbers for the baseline.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 07:50 PM
Registered User
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
I recall samste got around 150mph from well over 2kw, I got around 140mph from 1.3kw on a highly modified airframe. Remember this is a stryker clone, and slick they ain't...

So unless you have a video of your 170mph skyfun on a modest 6s 80a setup that I can doppler for you... well then its a little dangerous to get people's hopes up when this just isn't the airframe for it.


Ian
NinetySix is offline Find More Posts by NinetySix
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 08:41 PM
Registered User
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japac View Post
Okay so insted of a heavy motor, it's better to use a 2836 2350 with a 4's and a 7x4 prop
I nearly cooked my 2836-2350 with a 7x6e on 3s, 6" would be the absolute Max for 4s. On that note, have a look at a microdan or a small inrunner that isn't a turnigy or ebay no-name
NinetySix is offline Find More Posts by NinetySix
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 09:13 PM
Retired in NC
Rich in ILM's Avatar
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetySix View Post
I recall samste got around 150mph from well over 2kw, I got around 140mph from 1.3kw on a highly modified airframe. Remember this is a stryker clone, and slick they ain't...

So unless you have a video of your 170mph skyfun on a modest 6s 80a setup that I can doppler for you... well then its a little dangerous to get people's hopes up when this just isn't the airframe for it.


Ian
Who said I had a Skyfun that did 170 MPH on any configuration?
I certainly didn't.
I was just quoting the formula for doubling a speed when you have a baseline known speed and power consumption at that speed. Doubling speed takes 8 times the power.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 03:30 PM
Registered User
TheLeabres's Avatar
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
827 Posts
My Skyfun video. I'm still learning it as this is about my 4th real flight. The first 3 lasted less than 15 seconds and crashed with major damage (fuse split apart but nothing that epoxy and fiberglass cloth can't fix).
HobbyKing SkyFun Delta Wing Pusher Foamie Flight Review Switzerland (7 min 46 sec)
TheLeabres is online now Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 11:50 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Well I will soon be joining the ranks of the proud SkyFun owners.

My thanks to Rich (in ILM) for his help in putting me on the right track on what to order. I'm building his "moderate" SkyFun version...

I had learnt about this plane from Leabres who happen to post a video on another thread...the timing was perfect.

________________
As a side note, I don't normally order stuff from HK using EMS, but this time I did, but after paying they tell you that the SkyFun is a JIT item and will take an additional 3-5 days. It is located at a larger warehouse apparently! I wasn't too happy about that, so just wanted to forewarn any prospective buyers of this little gotcha. On the bright side it would have taken an addition 1 1/2 weeks if I ordered it airmail.
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 08:47 AM
Registered User
TheLeabres's Avatar
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer291113 View Post
Well I will soon be joining the ranks of the proud SkyFun owners.

My thanks to Rich (in ILM) for his help in putting me on the right track on what to order. I'm building his "moderate" SkyFun version...

I had learnt about this plane from Leabres who happen to post a video on another thread...the timing was perfect.

________________
As a side note, I don't normally order stuff from HK using EMS, but this time I did, but after paying they tell you that the SkyFun is a JIT item and will take an additional 3-5 days. It is located at a larger warehouse apparently! I wasn't too happy about that, so just wanted to forewarn any prospective buyers of this little gotcha. On the bright side it would have taken an addition 1 1/2 weeks if I ordered it airmail.
Did you order it from the USA warehouse? That's what I did and there were no issues.
TheLeabres is online now Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 08:49 AM
Registered User
TheLeabres's Avatar
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
827 Posts
BTW I took out the SkyFun this morning in calm conditions (1 -2 mph breeze) and it is amazing to fly it slow and tight figure 8s even on low rates and when it did stall, nothing happens other than it starts to float down like a big huge somewhat heavy feather!
TheLeabres is online now Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 08:59 AM
Retired in NC
Rich in ILM's Avatar
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
BTW I took out the SkyFun this morning in calm conditions (1 -2 mph breeze) and it is amazing to fly it slow and tight figure 8s even on low rates and when it did stall, nothing happens other than it starts to float down like a big huge somewhat heavy feather!
Couple of guys in the club call it a 100 MPH glider. Climb it to a dot and close the throttle.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 09:11 AM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
Did you order it from the USA warehouse? That's what I did and there were no issues.
Unfortunately no I didn't because I needed other parts for projects on other planes...

Perhaps I should have split the order between Hong Kong and the US warehouses, live and learn!
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 10:12 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
Congrats Jer! Give us an update when yours arrives.

Did you get the kit version since you're adding so many of your own pieces? I got the receiver-ready version from the USA warehouse because I didn't know any better at the time.

Mine has generated some interest in the club I'm in, so I want to hear if your airframe and controls need much work out of the box. Perhaps mine was just a fluke with so many defects but I would advise that you inspect everything carefully!

People are very impressed with the way mine flies and especially how it lands so gracefully. I always have to give them the speech about how it certainly wasn't going to be that nice right out of the box and will take some work and better power system if they decide to buy one.

One more important thing. Buy some fluorescent self-adhesive stripe material!! If the lighting is anything less than optimal, the SkyFun can simply vanish for several seconds at a time when you turn back toward yourself.
Large sections of black also work since the SkyFun is white. I have black on top and orange on the bottom.

I've also heard good things about the smaller, less expensive version that HK calls the ParkJet. Anybody have both? It's being discussed in the Pusher Prop Jet section of the forum.
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Vendo Rádio Hobby King 4ch + Receptor 6ch (2.4GHz) Amazon Brazil 0 Dec 02, 2009 07:52 AM
Discussion Hobby King 40mmx5mm folding spinners @ ~450 Watts? Owen Hedger Power Systems 3 Dec 01, 2009 02:46 PM
Discussion Hobby City/ Hobby King FPV setup- thoughts? Smokescreen38 FPV Talk 6 Oct 23, 2009 04:27 AM
Discussion Hobby King Hobby City MIG 15 7car7 Foamy EDFs 5 Oct 15, 2009 06:43 PM
Question hobby king speed controller question? qtturner1 Power Systems 3 Jul 08, 2009 11:17 PM