HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2009, 05:41 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,528 Posts
If they include foam cutting templates for the fuse/wing, outlines for the fin and stabs, I should think that would be plenty.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2009, 11:43 AM
zup
United States, PA, Oakdale
Joined Jan 2008
811 Posts
mike
did i miss something? what did you do for battery and servo trays?
john
zup is offline Find More Posts by zup
Old May 27, 2009, 01:25 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger
I have the rough drawing we worked from with the fuselage and wing templates. Would that be enough?
Can you tile them so they print out on a normal PC printer?
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Old May 27, 2009, 02:34 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
Interior Workings

John,
I was so excited to get this Jug into the air I forgot to post pictures of the inside. Sorry about that. There is so much room inside the fuselage I can stick a good part of my arm in......

Here are some of the specs for the interior of the Jug:

2 - Hitec HS-65MG (metal gear) servos for the elevator & aileron
1 - 40 amp e-flite speed controller
1 - 42-40-800 Electrifly outrunner electric motor
1 - 4000mAh 25C copper tab Hecell battery

flying a 13x8.5 Master Airscrew Electric prop producing about 440 watts! Mark calculated my wing loading was 16oz.

Servos
The Aileron servo is recesses into the wing & scewed into place. The elevator servo was taped to the inside of the fuselage wall. First, a small square piece a balsa was glued to the foam using foam save CA. then, the wood square was coated in CA so that the double sided tape would bond really well to the mounting plate (would square) and the servo. It sticks like....... well, it is really stuck in place with no concern of it coming loose.

Speed Control
The speed control is not really attached to the fuselage. It is wired from the motor and runs along the upper inside of the fuselage. It makes for an easy connection to the battery.I need to put some tape near the top of the fuselage just to keep the wire from moving around during flight. It really isn't long enough to cause any trouble, but better safe than sorry.

Battery Tray
This isn't anything more than a 1/8" hard balsa rectangle epoxied into place along the bottom of the fuselage going from the wing to the nose. Mark coated the balsa tray with CA so the velcro would stick really good.... and it does. I have all of my batteries set up to have the soft loop velcro on them and the "hook" picky stuff inside the aircraft. Depending on the battery I fly will determine exactly where I place my marks for the battery position. Kind of like at an airport. A plane pulls into the gate and the front wheels line up with a mark telling where it should stop based on the aircraft type. Once I am comfortable with the CG and where it should be, I will place my marks on the battery tray

Pushrod
The pushrod to the elevator was pretty straight forward. The one end connecting to the servo has a solderd servo snap link and the other end connected to the control horn is the music wire bent in an "L" shape and held in place with a "keeper". Both the aileron and elevator have no play (slack) whatsoever. There is no binding in the control surfaces or control arms. The servos have no chatter either. All in all a very nice clean installation. The pushrod sheath for the elevator is held in place with a modified control horn glued to the inside wall of the fuselage. We also glued the sheath at the exit point of the rear of the aircraft so there would be no flexing of the pushrod during use.
tr6world is offline Find More Posts by tr6world
Old May 27, 2009, 04:46 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Joined Jul 2007
2,528 Posts
tr6, I've been following this thread since its beginning and have posted in it a few times. It is probably one of the best, if not the 'best', build thread that I've seen. You've done everything very clearly with good photography. Your explanations have been 'spot-on'. And your answers to questions are right on. Also, the links in the first post are a terrific idea.

Thanks a million,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2009, 05:17 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,026 Posts
I'll see what I can do about tiling the PDF....
Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old May 27, 2009, 07:46 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,026 Posts
Try this maybe?
Old May 27, 2009, 08:27 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Joined Jul 2007
2,528 Posts
Mark, this will work for me if I can get the .pdf file printed somewhere at full size. I hate to ask for anything more.

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2009, 08:45 PM
zup
Joined Jan 2008
811 Posts
thanks mike
yea your right all kinds of room inside.showed a pict to a friend and he thought it was a F-86. Hmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!! must control myself.gotta finish this first.
i was thinking of making some slots in the foam along the inside and glueing trays made out of 1/8 lite ply.
just started my wing. im going the built up balsa ply route since im putting retracts in.
john
Old May 27, 2009, 09:13 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,026 Posts
Tricky geometry to get the correct, rearward canted retracts,,,,good luck on that
Mark
Old May 27, 2009, 09:20 PM
zup
Joined Jan 2008
811 Posts
im not going to be real picky on how the retracts work.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:43 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
Tony,
Thanks for mentioning the "Cheat Index" at the beginning of the thread. It has been updated I saw another thread somewhere that had a cheat index and I really liked the idea too. I also wanted to be sure that my posts didn't have to much "builders language" that would go over the head of a novice. After all, I am/was a novice too
I know that towards the end of this build I may not have covered everything but I couldn't wait any longer.... I had to get this bird in the air. I hope that my build thread will motivate people who don't have much if any building experience to give it a go. The satisfaction and pride is enough to motivate me for my next project..... But I can't wait for the moment when someone asks me what ARF this Jug is.... and I can say "it's a scratch build plane!"

Thanks guys for the kind words and encouragement.

Mike (tr6world)
Old May 30, 2009, 01:46 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
Canopy is on - More flight video

I finally got the canopy permanently attached to the fuselage. As mentioned in earlier posts, my pilot will fly with the canopy open. I used light tack blue painters tape to align the canopy so it would sit just right. After looking at some pictures of how the real p-47 canopy sits, I laid the painters tape onto the side of the fuselage where the canopy base would sit. While the razorback does angle downward toward the tail, the canopy is somewhat level and while open the rear edges of the canopy are actually not touching the fuselage.

I was concerned that the canopy might not hold really well with all of the wind pressure during flight so I sanded off the paint where the canopy would be glued to the fuselage for a real nice bond. I glued some styrene strips to the inside of the canopy base. It slightly raises the canopy off of the fuselage and provides a nice surface to glue to.........

See some of the pictures below......

I also took some video of me just doing some fun informal flying with a couple of rolls, a loop and a few passes.... (video to follow) Fun stuff, great flyer and a very stable aircraft!

Enjoy...... Mike
Old May 30, 2009, 02:01 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,026 Posts
That looks great! I bet she looks good on a flypast with the canopy open.....
Mark
Old May 30, 2009, 02:13 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
Yea, it's sweet looking on the flyby.... check it out........

Mike's P-47D Thunderbolt On Morning Sortie (2 min 51 sec)