HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2014, 04:35 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Build Log
The Atom Special

3 weeks ago I was asked if I could design an autogyro specifically for the 2014 Special edition of RCM&E. The twist being that the plans/templates had to fit on to two A4 sheets, this was not an easy task I can tell you!
A week after I was asked I had the plans pretty much sorted with the build taken less than a week. To cut the build time down I ordered a set of 44 x 450 blades from AJ which came just a few days after pressing the buy it now button.
I had a deadline for yesterday as I was meeting up with the editor to get photos, but the maiden wasn't done till last wednesday due to the weather which went well. I was a little apprehensive yesterday as the wind was quite strong, but for a smallish model.
A typical pod and boom type model but with a little shape to it. I decided from the start that I wanted a twin boom set up for extra strength with twin rudders. Canopy and cowl are pop bottles shrunk over some simple balsa plugs, these will be sent to RCME so they can supply vac formed units.
I will start a build log over on modelflying.co.uk when it gets a little closer to publication.

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2014, 05:10 PM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
385 Posts
Looks great Rich, sure to be another winner. Brave man to fly in that wind yesterday, I didn't go to Greenacres as I thought it would be a blow out.
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Old Aug 11, 2014, 05:46 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Rich,
We have flown in far stronger winds for sure mate, good thing was, it was a steady wind which enabled me to just hold in one spot while David snapped away.

A couple of ground shots taken whilst I was building it, I don't have any other flying shots and have yet to make a video, it was all a bit of a rush!

Rich
Old Aug 11, 2014, 08:32 AM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
743 Posts
Hi Rich
Love the twin rudder and sport lines. Nice simple build, where do you keep thinking of these designs? Well done.

Regards Andy
HandyAndy is offline Find More Posts by HandyAndy
Old Aug 11, 2014, 03:50 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
Nice simple build, where do you keep thinking of these designs?

Regards Andy
Andy,
Alcohol

Just kidding!

I was given 2 A4 sheets and just had to design around those, the mast could have gone across diagonally on sheet but this would limit the room to fit extra templates around. So, I made the mast to fit on the longer side of an A4 sheet which is pretty short compared to others I have done. I decided then the best option was to remove the centre fin as it would just get broken all the time from the blades. Then just using a double outer fin set up giving the clearance needed in the middle of the tailplane. To add rigidity I doubled up the booms making a rock steady level to mount the tail too.
I did scratch my head a bit to come up with the mechanism for the rudders and I am chuffed with the results. A simple bell crank utilising a standard servo arm, it really works well.
To be honest I thought the twin rudder set up would be really powerful, but it isnt? must be the area of those rudders I guess. I am sure you guys will improve things three fold.
I have contacted Dylan at lasercraft to see how much it will cost to do some laser cut parts. May do a new build when they are done.

Rich
Old Aug 11, 2014, 08:39 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,752 Posts
Rich
I like your train of thought with this design.....must have been to do with the A 4.
Chris...
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:03 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,539 Posts
Great Work Rich! That is really Racey looking!!!
doug
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:56 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,184 Posts
Cool!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Aug 12, 2014, 04:56 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
I will start a build log here as I keep getting Malware alerts when using RCGroups site, anyone else getting the same?

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/...s.asp?th=98774

Rich
Old Aug 12, 2014, 01:55 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,184 Posts
Not me.... I do know that there are some tracking cookies etc. that can be blocked by going to ABINE.com and downloading their "Do not track plus" software, which is free (and it works everywhere). It is a very good thing for your computer as it blocks ad tracking on sites.

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Aug 12, 2014, 02:43 PM
south germany
Joined May 2009
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Not me.... I do know that there are some tracking cookies etc. that can be blocked by going to ABINE.com and downloading their "Do not track plus" software, which is free (and it works everywhere). It is a very good thing for your computer as it blocks ad tracking on sites.

SteveT.
Thanks a lot, Steve - excellent tool!
rainerm is offline Find More Posts by rainerm
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:19 AM
Lakeland,FL
Joined Jan 2005
344 Posts
New Autogyro

Rich, I see you are still just cranking them out.. Looks good.
Jim
rcflyerfl is offline Find More Posts by rcflyerfl
Old Aug 14, 2014, 09:59 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,539 Posts
ditto, ditto
Rich, I hope to get the Magazine from a friend when it comes out to build one of these!!! Looks really slick!!! Would be an awesome Kit!!

doug
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:03 AM
billfriedlander
Joined Mar 2007
30 Posts
Rich....Thanks for providing a new, easy to build design. Back in about 1992 I started with autogyros and in those days and up to fairly recently the masts were considerably shorter than the one shown on your new design. There must be a value in the taller masts and I would appreciate hearing your reasoning for such a design change.
Thanks, Bill Friedlander, Hudson WI, USA
billfriedlander is offline Find More Posts by billfriedlander
Old Aug 16, 2014, 04:49 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Jim,
I enjoy doing them, until I stop enjoying it I will keep at it.

Doug,
Glad to hear you are able to get your hands on it

Bill,
Believe it or not this is a relatively short mast compared to my others, a longer mast adds a little bit of extra stability I think and a bonus is it reduces tail strikes.

No2 model is coming along nicely.

Rich