HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2013, 06:50 PM
Australia, VIC, San Remo
Joined May 2010
895 Posts
Just flip the props, don't put them on the adjacent motor. The idea is to have the force pushing down.

OK , just watched the video and it is right to move 1 position. I must have been lucky as I didn't move them and all was well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator315 View Post
Yes I only went to half throttle as that's what it said to do. It says to raise to mid, so I assume that's half.
I don't have the voltage and current sensor installed. I do have one, but it's only rated to 90A. My Hex will use well over 100A at full throttle so I didn't install it.
I thought I did it in throttle mode. It says "measuring compass vs THROTTLE", is that correct or do I need to change some setting?

Just watched a vid that says to flip the props and put them on the adjacent motor. So I'll do that asap and post the results.

Thanks guys, really appreciate your help.
damoz is offline Find More Posts by damoz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:21 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,782 Posts
just wanted to check.. can u still power the arduflyer 2.5.2 with USB (for example to check motor layout using cli->setup-> motor command) when u are powering it with a 5.01v bec and J1 is not inserted?
so have the lipo inserted AND USB connected to the pc and arduflyer?
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:07 PM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,238 Posts
Hi, I am setting up my bixler for ArduPilot on a apm 2.5. My problem is that the throttle seems slaved to the yaw channel. I have tried resetting the apm, different receivers, reset slot on my radio. Is there something that I am missing? it worked when I setup the radio calibration.
dak
Dakrat is online now Find More Posts by Dakrat
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:22 PM
Quit Cryin and Get Flyin
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined May 2013
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO View Post
Wow...I have to struggle to get over 12A total at hover.
3 x AX2810s on 4S with 1245s. AUW <1300g. But I guess those hexas have to pull a lot more weight.

Well the 12.5 A I was giving you was actually for a HoverThings FPV quad. I got the same motors on the hex, and you'd think all things being linear that instead of 30 A at hover I should be 55. But I'll almost bet (although I've not tried it yet and will do it in the morning weather permitting) that having 6 motors instead of 4 is going to reduce the workload overall and I'll bet I'll be less than 30 at hover.

I could be completely wrong in this assessment, but we'll find out tomorrow. I do know for a fact that having 6 1200 KV motors on a hex (same frame actually) running 10 x 4.5 props and a 4000 MAH 25-50C 3S which should give 100 A nominal Max, and 200 A burst for 10 seconds. I know for a fact when that hex copter went full throttle with the multi-MultiWii PRO Flight Controller with MTK GPS Module when I put it into loiter besides the whine of the motors there was also the sickening sound of the Lipo alarm crapping all over itself as it launched like a ballistic missile out of sight.

So I can agree with senator that at full throttle that hex is probably going to pull more than 100 A. Now those 1200 KV motors I had were rated at 21 A maximum and that's probably why the Lipo alarm was crapping all over itself and the battery puffed up in less than 6 or 7 seconds, which is again why I hope to never ever ever go to full throttle again on a hex copter.

Now I just looked at the specs for the motors I'm running now and Max amperage is 22 A for 60 seconds. But being their a lot lower KV I don't think I'll ever see that unless it goes absolutely full throttle. The same frame with the 1200 KV and 3S hovered at about 55% with the 740 KV same props and a 4S it hovers even with a heavier battery at about 42%. And I get quite a bit longer flight times with a 3300 MAH 4 cell versus a 4000 MAH 3 cell and higher KV motors.

So I think they are a bit more efficient and hopefully won't have the massive current draw that's going to kill the batteries like it did that 3 cell.
Quadmd is offline Find More Posts by Quadmd
Last edited by Quadmd; Jul 13, 2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:23 PM
Quit Cryin and Get Flyin
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined May 2013
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrat View Post
Hi, I am setting up my bixler for ArduPilot on a apm 2.5. My problem is that the throttle seems slaved to the yaw channel. I have tried resetting the apm, different receivers, reset slot on my radio. Is there something that I am missing? it worked when I setup the radio calibration.
dak
Is your radio set up for helicopter or airplane? The only reason I can see yaw and throttle being connected would be on the throttle curve for a collective pitch helicopter.

If it is set up for helicopter, just change it to airplane. Even though these are called multi-copters they are nowhere near a helicopter and fly more like a conventional airplane.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:38 PM
Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow View Post
just wanted to check.. can u still power the arduflyer 2.5.2 with USB (for example to check motor layout using cli->setup-> motor command) when u are powering it with a 5.01v bec and J1 is not inserted?
so have the lipo inserted AND USB connected to the pc and arduflyer?
Post #6 in this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...35&postcount=6

Frequently Asked Questions

jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Jul 13, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:46 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtprouty View Post
Anyone know if it's safe to tune the plane by updating the PIDs via 3DR radios while it's fliying?

Jimmy
Well, NO, I would not try to directly alter PID in flight, not sure it will let you.

You can tune in flight using CH6 as described in Dave C tuning http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/ar...r-tuning-guide

It would not hurt to do ALL the steps on that page
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:50 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulvyas View Post
After the Rx cables are disconnected!
I mean its showing different voltage which is too less to be counted.
I do not understand where you are measuring voltages, on the Input Headers OR on the disconnected cable from the Receiver. What does either tell you that is of any use whatsoever.

More Importantly WHY are you measuring Voltage, it is a PWM signal - measuring it with a Multimeter set to Measure Voltage is useless for a PWM signal.

It would be more useful if you describe the actual problem you are trying to fix instead of describing "your flawed diagnostic solution" how you are measuring a PWM channel for Voltage.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:54 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,311 Posts
Quote:
After the Rx cables are disconnected!
I mean its showing different voltage which is too less to be counted.
Your test is completely useless.

What is the actual problem you are chasing ? LOTS of detail please about the "problem" itself, not your "solution".
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:05 PM
Joined Jul 2012
266 Posts
ch2 is defective, when I test ch2 without connecting the servo cables from the Rx, ch2 shows 0.02V and others show 5.4V
so its a major problem.

I know that PWM signal's voltage may vary! but my test proves that ch2 is defective.
Does rctimer change the board?
rahulvyas is offline Find More Posts by rahulvyas
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:06 PM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadmd View Post
Is your radio set up for helicopter or airplane? The only reason I can see yaw and throttle being connected would be on the throttle curve for a collective pitch helicopter.

If it is set up for helicopter, just change it to airplane. Even though these are called multi-copters they are nowhere near a helicopter and fly more like a conventional airplane.
I reloaded the board to a quad then back to a plane to see if it would change the setting but it did not, does the same thing when set to a quad mode as in plane.
Dakrat is online now Find More Posts by Dakrat
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:15 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Harrowsmith
Joined Jan 2012
7,022 Posts
Quote:
ch2 is defective, when I test ch2 without connecting the servo cables from the Rx, ch2 shows 0.02V and others show 5.4V
so its a major problem.

I know that PWM signal's voltage may vary! but my test proves that ch2 is defective.
voltage has nothing to do with throttle signal , I think is what jabram's trying to tell you
you can test all day to get voltage on that output, it will NOT prove that a pwm signal is not being provided at the correct values needed to work
irun4fundotca is offline Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:19 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,311 Posts
Quote:
so its a major problem.

Clean all the flux from under the Input header pins - IMPORTANT - do not get any cleaning fluid into the barometer holes.

Using a strong light and magnifying glass examine the underside of the board around the input headers looking for any solder bridges that should not be there, if you find a solder bridge remove it using your soldering iron then clean the flux off that area again.

After cleaning all the flux off and checking there are no solder bridges caused by bad soldering.

Make sure your receiver does in Fact have a GND connection to one of the Input Header [-] pins.

Make sure your receiver is receiving 5V power and has been bound to your TX.

Using Mission Planner radio Calibration, connect ONLY one channel from your receiver to CH2 and see if Mission Planner Radio Calibration shows movement on ONLY one channel.

Disconnect that channel from your receiver and try another ONE channel from your receiver connected to CH2 and see if Mission Planner Radio Calibration shows movement on ONLY one channel.

Confirm that your Receiver can work by disconnecting that channel from your receiver and try another ONE channel from your receiver connected to CH1 and see if Mission Planner Radio Calibration shows movement on ONLY one channel.

If that doesn't fix it, if you are not in Australia or USA contact Rctimer directly and explain exactly all the tests you have done as per above and request a replacement board.

If you are in USA or Australia see list of Rctimer dealers in post #6 who will handle warranty directly in USA or Australia even if you purchased directly from Rctimer.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Jul 13, 2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:40 PM
Quit Cryin and Get Flyin
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined May 2013
1,691 Posts
Quote:
I reloaded the board to a quad then back to a plane to see if it would change the setting but it did not, does the same thing when set to a quad mode as in plane.
Not the board your transmitter... I am thinking you have a throttle mix setup that links yaw to throttle. If your transmitter is set to a heli profile change it to an airplane profile
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:57 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,311 Posts
Quote:
Whenever you load new firmware - existing settings will NOT be altered.

If you want to load the default settings that come with that new firmware you need to use Mission Planner to reset APM 2.5

First save or write down all your settings as they will be erased by the procedure described below.

To erase and reset APM 2.5 see my blog http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post25100936

Here is the information repeated below

Different versions of firmware may use different locations in the ATmega2560 eeprom, it is important that the eeprom is erased and that the Arducopter parameters are reset to default values, skipping this step can lead to all sorts of drama and time wasted chasing down all sorts of weird issues.

Any time you upgrade the Firmware perform the following steps.

If this is not the first use of your ArduFlyer board, if you have already performed PID tuning then you should save those settings BEFORE performing erase and reset. so you can load those setting back without having to do all that work again from scratch. Also be aware that this will clear ALL calibrations.

Run Mission Planner

Connect USB cable from PC to ArduFlyer 2.5 board

Select correct COM Port, make sure BAUD is set to 115200.

Click on the Terminal Tab

Click on the Connect APM tab

Type setup press ENTER

Type reset press ENTER,

Type Y and press ENTER

You should see the response Reboot APM

Press the Reset Button on the Arduflyer 2.5 Board

Wait for ArduFlyer 2.5 to reboot and start displaying more text on the screen

Press ENTER 3 times in QUICK succession to stop display.

Note the message Firmware change: Erasing EEPROM meaning EEPROM has been erased and that all default parameters for that version of ArduCopter have been loaded into EEPROM

RCG Plus Member