HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:55 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
oh man, wish I could say that....put up a vid when ya get back Dave, be nice to at least see someone fly today

Joe
sloperjoe is online now Find More Posts by sloperjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
got up this morning and "BEHOLD!" it wasnt raining...yet, and was calm as can be, so I raced to the test field and got her in the air! I'll be honest and tell ya that 2s wont get the job done, 3s flies it and if I hadnt been slightly tail heavy or slightly trimmed wanting to turn left she most likely would be able to fly faster, I knew my window for maiden was tiny so I flew her out as is, and it started to rain only a couple minutes in....but got enough air time for the video
off hand I'll say I like it, however because its a draggy shape the little SkyAngels fan is pretty much at the outer envelope of its ability, it flies it just fine, and properly trimmed probably will fly great, but it aint gonna break no speed records, the "Experimental" jets are way cleaner and hence really haul out, but for a cool little jet the Phantom is pretty sweet and will go fast enough trimmed properly to put a grin on your face

here are the plans for those who want one the only part missing from the parts templates is the rear tail "splitter"....sorry didnt notice till after I got home from scanning them, but you can easily make a tracing off the plans for it ..whatayawantferfree?

Joe

35MMPhantom (0 min 0 sec)
Last edited by sloperjoe; Oct 28, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
ooops, CG... not on the plans....
measure 1" in front of the "wing horn" tips and draw a line straight across the fuse, that will get it airborne and you can adjust your batts according to you individual liking's

Joe
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:44 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Very cool Joe. I keep watching the 70mm thread, and was missing this one. Another fine build and so nice of you to post plans! Great job!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:15 AM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
thanks Fred, glad you like it, I had fun building it, supposed to have better weather in the next few days so hopefully I can get some better footage, along with some more flying time

Joe
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:30 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Might want to use thrust tubes on the next version.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
does have a thrust tube Joe just cant see it cause it dont stick out but it is there

Joe
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
There are some reports of being able to use 4s with the three blade impeller and a 12A esc. I haven't personally tried it to verify motor temps.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
@Joe 1320,
this one could easily be done as a twin, witch would improve the flight envelope, was originally thinking of doing a twin with this one, but decided to see if one 35mm would fly it. like I said earlier the Phantom was quite tail heavy and was wanting to turn left in the maiden vid....so I was holding it in a right hand turn while also pushing the nose down the whole flight, with the batts moved forward and trimmed out for straight and level, it will fly way better, most of the video it was flying at just over 1/2-3/4 throttle, with a constant speed bleed from holding the right hand turn, been raining ever since so havent been able to get out and get a good trimmed out flight...next day or so its "supposed" to be dry...and I'll give it another go.

Joe
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
yeah I read that post....I dont know how long these little mtrs will hold up under 4s...
I'll be holding out for more info before I start thinking its not harmful to the winding's or the bearings for that matter, but would be great if it turns out that it can take it!

Joe
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
F4 +Tail heavy = handful. Might need to move that fan forward a hair.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
F4 +Tail heavy = handful. Might need to move that fan forward a hair.
nah.. the 3s batts where pushed too far back, plenty of room to move them forward, 2s batts allmost to the #2 bulkhead balances fine, I had the 3s batt all the way back almost centered on #3, if I move it forward 3/8"-1/2" or so should be much better. alot of room in the fuse so the fan should be fine where it is.

Joe
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
good lord....went flying today and took the Phantom out, all trimmed and flying awesome....had the hatcam running thinking I was getting it all on vid....didnt think to check the footage till I got home.....once again the cam was pointed too far to the right....last time it was too high...out of 10mins of video you see maybe 2 seconds total of the nose barely making it into frame.....
I will try again in a few days, it is now trimmed out nicely and flies really well, much easier to fly than before

Joe
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:46 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
Doh!

I always look into the car window reflection and make sure the cam looks like it's pointing and sitting the right way before I go fly.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
good idea , only problem was I just walked over to the schoolyard near the house, didnt have anything reflective to look at, did two flights then turned the cam on, then two more after it was on, put paid to the lipos I had with me, so even had I played it back before leaving it wouldnt have mattered....aaaahhhhI'am such a dork

Joe