HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:16 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,333 Posts
Discussion
Initial charge - 6 in parallel or one by one?

Just got 6 new glacier lipos. Also just got set up to charge in parallel. So I'm wondering, is it prudent to charge all 6 in parallel (at 1C for the initial charge), or would it be better to do them one at a time to monitor them better?

Hm, maybe I just answered my own question. But I'm still curious what others do.

I plan to do 2 charge / discharge cycles to break them in, then weather permitting Sunday charge them up, head to the field, and discharge them the fun way - in an airplane.
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:13 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
I never brake in new LiPo with parallel charging.
Always charge them one at a time.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:16 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
or would it be better to do them one at a time to monitor them better?
Yes

Quote:
I plan to do 2 charge / discharge cycles to break them in,
Unless you charger can place a discharge load on them enough to cause them to warm up you will be wasting your time,IMO.

Many chargers have a 50 watts or less discharge capability , whith a 3S this is approx. 4A which for a 2200 is less than 2C and it will not get warm at all.

Just charge them and fly them taking it easy the first few flights, short burst of WOT and keep flights short so only 60 % or so is used , 3.8 V per cell after flight.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:27 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,333 Posts
Thanks guys I'll do them one at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Unless you charger can place a discharge load on them enough to cause them to warm up you will be wasting your time,IMO.

Many chargers have a 50 watts or less discharge capability , whith a 3S this is approx. 4A which for a 2200 is less than 2C and it will not get warm at all.

Just charge them and fly them taking it easy the first few flights, short burst of WOT and keep flights short so only 60 % or so is used , 3.8 V per cell after flight.

Charles
Yup these are 3S 2200 35C.

I'm in the process of soldering up some switches and 50w 12v halogens to use for discharging. With 6 50w bulbs I should be able to pull 24+ amps, and by cutting out a few switches control that in 4 amp increments to get whatever current I want. What is a good breakin discharge current? I seem to recall reading 10C?
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:37 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,179 Posts
I break-in at 5-8C. 10C is starting to push it, IMO. I also perform IR and capacity measurements prior to placing a lipoly into service. If they don't meet my expectations, back they go for replacement or refund.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member