HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:56 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,573 Posts
Discussion
EZE-KOTE: Epoxy resin alternative?

So I noticed an article in my Sept issue of the German mag ModellWerft, where a water-based resin was being used instead of epoxy or polyester resin for fiberglass work.

The stuff is "Eze-Kote" from the UK hobby materials company Deluxe Materials:
http://www.deluxematerials.com/products_building.html

In this video taken at the Weak Signals Show, the material is described as a light-cured resin... it seems to be viscous, and is used first to seal balsa, then to apply glass over the balsa:
Deluxe Materials EZE Kote in Toledo.wmv (4 min 34 sec)

It is claimed to be quick drying and easy to sand, and not a strong as epoxy (but maybe strong enough for sealing a hull? No idea how clear it is, or if it would take varnish or clear-coat well, for our mahogany wonders... but likely good for painted hulls.

Not cheap, Horizon sells it for $20 for 500ml (about a pint).
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ote-DLMBD37#t3

But I'd pay that for the ease of sanding, I HATE sanding epoxy!

Anyone try it yet?
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:19 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Very interesting.

Look at this.
http://www.basement-rc.com/forums/index.php?topic=197.0
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Last edited by MILLERTIME; Aug 16, 2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:46 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,573 Posts
Hey, good find!
Also, you can get an additive which gives more hardness to poly, could be useful...
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:48 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Anyone know if this is available in Europe? I've found wbpu but it's no good for glassing hulls.
JayJay76 is offline Find More Posts by JayJay76
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:13 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,573 Posts
?? The link above says that eze-kote IS wbpu, and it seems to work fine for glassing over wood. Why do you say it isn't good? Not challenging you, just curious.

See the first link, Deluxe is a UK firm. And Krick repackages it.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:16 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,573 Posts
So I mentioned (above) using a hardener in WBPU... I did my wood stairs with Carver Tripp wbpu many years ago, and added a small vial of optional hardener which they recommended for floor usage... and there's absolutely no wear-through on those steps today.

But I think Carver Tripp is gone now, and I don't see any hardeners offered with the Minwax products offered at Home Depot... but they do have WBPU formulated for floors. I suppose this is a harder grade? Which should be good for both sanding and strength.

And others offer WBPUs formulated for marine and outdoor usage, and I've even seen some claiming "high build", which could be good for filling glass.

Nothing against our friends at West Systems, but I'd sure like to try an easier-sanding solution than epoxy IF it's "good enough" for locking hull planking together.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:59 PM
Thunder Bay Ontario Canada
Joined Jul 2007
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
So I mentioned (above) using a hardener in WBPU... I did my wood stairs with Carver Tripp wbpu many years ago, and added a small vial of optional hardener which they recommended for floor usage... and there's absolutely no wear-through on those steps today.

But I think Carver Tripp is gone now, and I don't see any hardeners offered with the Minwax products offered at Home Depot... but they do have WBPU formulated for floors. I suppose this is a harder grade? Which should be good for both sanding and strength.

And others offer WBPUs formulated for marine and outdoor usage, and I've even seen some claiming "high build", which could be good for filling glass.

Nothing against our friends at West Systems, but I'd sure like to try an easier-sanding solution than epoxy IF it's "good enough" for locking hull planking together.
Hi Pat

As far as a 2 part WBPU see if anyone in your area is carrying products by Saman.. They make water based stains and polyurethanes. Their "Extreme" is a 2 part WBPU that is rated for hardwood floors etc. I have used it on solid hardwood stair treads and it has been holding up well for over a year now in a house with 2 Wheaton Terrrier dogs that go about 40-60 lbs each.
I believe you will find the price to be quite reasonable as well.
CPTGUY is offline Find More Posts by CPTGUY