SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:21 AM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Anyone known get 6 dji opto escs for cheap? I think the Simon k ones I have on my y6 won't calibrate right or something . I'm also thinking maybe they don't work well with the Naza.
I got Red Brick 50amp opt from HK they are great and run very cool, even with my 30Km to 40km fight every single flight that I do.....

Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:26 AM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer View Post
That cat is really enjoing the wind, but he does not know the danger to be under it.....

Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:36 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
GW, you're a Frsky guy, albeit a new one.
Share some of your newfound knowledge with this guy before he commits seppuku.
And you'd better not be staying quiet so that you can bid on his equipment...
He has a different radio and set up completely different than mine!. ADVISORY
There is an Extremely Small but Nonzero Chance That, Through a Process Know as Tunneling, This Product May Spontaneously Disappear from Its Present Location and Reappear at Any Random Place in the Universe, Including Your Neighbor's Domicile. The Manufacturer Will Not Be Responsible for Any Damages or Inconvenience That May Result.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:48 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,951 Posts
@gw

Okay, so you went to bed early, missed the party, and are now present and accounted for.
If you've read back over what is going on with alwaysconfused, he still needs advice.
And, apparently, he's a night owl.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2 Lipo Removal
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:01 AM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Okay, so you went to bed early, missed the party, and are now present and accounted for.
If you've read back over what is going on with alwaysconfused, he still needs advice.
And, apparently, he's a night owl.
lol yes, and to be honest I work night shifts as well so it is normal for me to run until 3-4 am and yes, help is still needed. I have a drunk runaway $800 multirotor that is facing the auction block..lol
alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:14 AM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
man I hate this whole hobby vs family thing... someone have a solution? Can I just sell of the family and keep the hobby?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:22 AM
Having fun again!!
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Aug 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysconfused View Post
lol yes, and to be honest I work night shifts as well so it is normal for me to run until 3-4 am and yes, help is still needed. I have a drunk runaway $800 multirotor that is facing the auction block..lol
Well the one the page of the assistant you posted looked good. The pics of the Hex look good, I take it red arms forward?

Have you adjusted your gains for the Hex, per the manual (pg40) a Hex requires higher gains then a Quad which the Naza comes pre-programmed for. Also what battery are you running (volts and mAh)?

Finally, did you check your IMU calibration? Connect to the assistant, click tools in the upper left, then IMU. If I remember correctly it's page 36 of the manual.

LOL to the Hobby vs Family thing!! I have to attend a dinner party tonight with about 50 attorneys. Good thing they have an open bar!!
MTHead4u is offline Find More Posts by MTHead4u
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: er9x and Naza Setup
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:41 AM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHead4u View Post
Well the one the page of the assistant you posted looked good. The pics of the Hex look good, I take it red arms forward?

Have you adjusted your gains for the Hex, per the manual (pg40) a Hex requires higher gains then a Quad which the Naza comes pre-programmed for. Also what battery are you running (volts and mAh)?

Finally, did you check your IMU calibration? Connect to the assistant, click tools in the upper left, then IMU. If I remember correctly it's page 36 of the manual.

LOL to the Hobby vs Family thing!! I have to attend a dinner party tonight with about 50 attorneys. Good thing they have an open bar!!
No, I havent messed with the IMU as it popped up a window saying it wasnt needed...so I didnt.

And the gains are where the presets were already. I am going to be messing around with those in a few.

And the only battery this thing is accepting is my Gens Ace 3s 11.4v 5000Mah. I have others that are the same but less Mah and the warning light and buzzer go into panic mode when I try to hook them up...not sure what thats all about. so it limits me to this one battery.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:03 AM
Having fun again!!
Joined Aug 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
No, I havent messed with the IMU as it popped up a window saying it wasnt needed...so I didnt.

And the gains are where the presets were already. I am going to be messing around with those in a few.

And the only battery this thing is accepting is my Gens Ace 3s 11.4v 5000Mah. I have others that are the same but less Mah and the warning light and buzzer go into panic mode when I try to hook them up...not sure what thats all about. so it limits me to this one battery.
Ok, good on the IMU. It's good to go. Definitely look into the gains, as you'll see in the manual they are even running higher gains with more voltage (4s) and smaller props (8") on the Hexes. When your in the assistant resetting those, look into what Oliver said about X1/X2 and just double check that none of your switches or knobs are adjusting your gains on you.

One of the intelligent guys will have to help with setting up the low voltage protection built into the VU/Naza as I disable mine and run external alarms/monitors.

Before your next test flight, make sure that battery is fully charged.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:20 AM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Ok here is the latest... I (just to see if it can be a pain or a life saver) set the trim knobs to be my x1 and x2 for calibrating the test flight. I am having it tethered between some trees so it wont fly off to Disneyland with out me.
I checked and the starting numbers were all set to 100% so I set them all back to what (I think they should be for a good starting point) at 130's and 140's.
Once I have the tethering rig in place I will strap the beast into it and see what happens.

So are you saying I should run the 8 inch props and not the 10's that came with it?
And I am going to order a couple more batteries. 14v would not be too high I hope. I think I will go with a 6000 Mah at 4s. or what ever is available for the 14v.

unfortunately I have to help my bro in law install some counter tops. If I don't kill him after the first hour I might get to play with the multi..lol

And by the way...is the naza any good as a airplane controller? Can it be set up for that? Reason I am asking is that if this thing is any good after all these hours of tuning (which I think is very disappointing when you think of what it costs to buy them) I might see if it will work in an airplane.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:48 AM
Having fun again!!
Joined Aug 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Ok here is the latest... I (just to see if it can be a pain or a life saver) set the trim knobs to be my x1 and x2 for calibrating the test flight. I am having it tethered between some trees so it wont fly off to Disneyland with out me.
I checked and the starting numbers were all set to 100% so I set them all back to what (I think they should be for a good starting point) at 130's and 140's.
Once I have the tethering rig in place I will strap the beast into it and see what happens.

So are you saying I should run the 8 inch props and not the 10's that came with it?
And I am going to order a couple more batteries. 14v would not be too high I hope. I think I will go with a 6000 Mah at 4s. or what ever is available for the 14v.

unfortunately I have to help my bro in law install some counter tops. If I don't kill him after the first hour I might get to play with the multi..lol

And by the way...is the naza any good as a airplane controller? Can it be set up for that? Reason I am asking is that if this thing is any good after all these hours of tuning (which I think is very disappointing when you think of what it costs to buy them) I might see if it will work in an airplane.
Ya, I'm no gains master but 100 across the board is way to low for a Hex.

Props and battery:
Due to the size and weight I would suggest running the 8" for your test since you are running a 3S battery. The manual states 4S and 8" so they got those motors cranking at a high RPM which in turn will help increase responsiveness. Once you get it flying like it's supposed to you can swap to the 10" props and adjust as required if needed.

All I'm trying to do is get you as close to the baseline in the manual for your test.

A lot of guys run 4S on Quads, so it's a great choice for your Hex. mAh of your choice but remember not to over weight it.

Your going in the right direction and almost there, can't give up now.. lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:49 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,738 Posts
Be careful with this tethering thing, lets say you set the throttle to 60% so it goes up, if it's tied down, the Naza will speed the motors until it climbs, up to full power, just make the test holding it by hand (from below ofc, and be damn careful, neck strap mandatory for the TX), you'll see the thing will want to raise. There you can also try to slide/rotate, to feel if it's properlly trying to counter your actions.

Have to consider the +60% throttle as a +10% climb, the Naza is a stuborn little worker, it will speed whatever needed to reach it.

When things are not working fine, I'd definately try with the smallest props, the engines will run faster, it will be more stable and more reactive.

Is the quad still sketchy above half a meter, because at first we tends to try to hover very low to limit troubles, turns out that the ground effect is making it quite unstable. It's a kind of leap of faith to climb it a good meter at eyes levels for the first flights :]
Olivier_C is offline Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Last edited by Olivier_C; Jan 12, 2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:55 AM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHead4u View Post

Your going in the right direction and almost there, can't give up now.. lol
I am switching props.....and I am teetering right now. lol

I am about to see if I can someone local that has the time and skill to tune this thing.. This week starts my 12hr/7 day a week work cycle so i wont have time to do anything for 2 weeks.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:57 AM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier_C View Post
Is the quad still sketchy above half a meter, because at first we tends to try to hover very low to limit troubles, turns out that the ground effect is making it quite unstable. It's a kind of leap of faith to climb it a good meter at eyes levels for the first flights :]
I just ran it. It wants to run up into the trees and it bunny hops if I run it in atti or manual.

The knobs to control the gains was not working for crap...am setting it back to just the main switch..GAAA!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:15 PM
NoLgs2StngArmsBigHeart!
USA, TX, Kilgore
Joined Apr 2010
601 Posts
IMHO....I don't think any of the End Points and Sub-Trims set, fail safe not set up correctly! All Trims @ Middle, (zero) Transmitter Set-Up in Assistant? RTM!....JJ
JJtr1954 is offline Find More Posts by JJtr1954