HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by stalyoni, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:05 PM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,892 Posts
WHAT THE..??!?

Something falls off the front right at the start there - dunno if that had anything to do with it.

But the whole top end seems to go horribly out of balance there before it shakes itself to pieces. Darn lucky to walk away from that one

Re your Tristania - 800's might be a tad heavy, particularly if you've them mounted right up the front in the slot they've provided. Maybe you could try to move it back somewhere closer to the CG? I don't think the extra weight of an 800 over 500 would stop it from flying - should have enough power to lift it - but it might be making it too nose heavy if mounted up the front.

Just make sure your CG is around the suggested 90mm and it should fly ok. I marked my CG on the top of the wings, and checked it with the plane upside down...

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:18 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,184 Posts
I have the 800 mounted on the top of the plane now right back where the ailerons begin. I put the esc on the opposite side to counter act the weight of the 800 lipo. I grabbed it right in the middle and it hangs there nicely. Should fly fine.

just waiting on the winds to die down
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Mar 07, 2012, 02:18 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,184 Posts
Hey bj dad asked me to order more lipos for the rc boats. So I ordered some 2s 500 lipos. Should make it fly a bit better.

also got myself a 1/10 rc car the trooper. Got a better esc and servo and motor for it. I'm going to run some 3s lipos I have already. Should cost me about 270 at the end of the day. Should be some fun
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:27 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,892 Posts
The Tristania should fly sweet on 2S 500 LiPos

You been spending money again, huh? I thought you were skint... LoL

BJ
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:27 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,184 Posts
Well technically I'm spending my old mans money out of his Paypal account. I'm hoping this rc car will do the best part of 70 kph.

I'm going to the strippers on Saturday night as well
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,892 Posts
Bum-tiddy bum bum
Bum BUM!

BJ
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:51 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,184 Posts
Took the tristinina out for a fly this arvo. First two lipos I had the 2s 800mah lipo placed to far back but by the third lipo I had the lipo placement perfect and it flew like a demon. It was a bit breezy so it was interesting trying to keep it in the air and tracking right.

I then decided to use one of the little 240mah 3s lipos I had. Put it right in the middle of the wing and it took off like a rocket. I do prefer the power of the 3s lipo on this plane. I think I might have to mod my 7x3 prop I have here and use that on this bird along with these micro 3s lipos.

I should of got 3s 500's instead of 2s, oh well its only money.

Fired up the little sbach on a 240mah 3s as well. Chucked the landing gear on it and took off from the ground. Take off was near perfect. I was only running the stock prop which is 5x2.75 and I dont think it was enough prop for it. I think the 5030 prop would have done much better.

Anyways on a brisk landing I busted off the prop hub so ill have to get a alum one or another stock one. So shes ground till then.

Very happy with my tristinina though. She flies great now but even better on a 3s.

How much prop do you think a 20a esc and that stock motor would handle on a 2s lipo BJ? Ive got a 9x5 or 10x6 prop i could use.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:12 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,892 Posts
Not sure what you want to achieve by putting a bigger prop on a Tristania - I didn't think they were meant to be a speed-demon (??)

I'd take it easy on that stock motor - it'll probably take what you give it, but burn-out a bit quick if you're pushing it too hard.

I have a couple of 3S 500's - might try one and see how she flies with that (stock motor, stock prop)

BJ
Old Mar 09, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,892 Posts
Flew the Tristania again this morning - was still a bit too breezy.

Once it got around tree-height at oval, the wind caught it and bye-bye is all she wrote

Had to let it flutter down into a tree on the far side - bugger.

I really need to dial in some down-thrust - I'm running the motor dead-square on the mount at the moment. So as soon as you apply power, she rises. Not the ideal set-up when your trying to come back into a fairly stiff breeze. Even with heaps of nose-over, she just din wanna come back...

BJ
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:14 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,028 Posts
The techone Tempo 3D looks nice; full size one not mini; although I'm sure the mini is good to.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:36 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,184 Posts
yeah the tempo does look ok.

I talked the old man into ordering some more parts from HK so i got a whole set of replacement parts for my rc car.

I also got myself a 1mtr combat wing. Not sure if I will run my 2208 2200kv motor or my 2730 3000kv motor yet. But I have enough spare parts to make it work. I cant wait to fly it or slope it. Should be allot of fun.

BTW ive given up on our "blane" aka parkjet boat. I was messing around with it this morning and I flicked the wrong switch and the motor went full on and cut up my leg badly. Oh well.

Im looking for a hydrofloat or a floatplane. I know you mention one a while ago BJ can you remember what it was please mate. Dad saw a video of them and he said find us two of them.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,892 Posts
ParkZone has just released an "Icon A5" - saw the box last week and it may be what you're looking for as a ready-built plane. They aren't all that cheap - around the $299 mark BNF. Probably a fair bit cheaper if you can find an ARF version etc.

The one I talk about quite often is a Polaris. Most ppl scratch-build them out of depron, and they're an ace plane

I think they may be available in kit form too - google around a bit, see what you find.

If I ever do buy a water bird, it would be a Catalina

BJ
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:47 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,184 Posts
yeah thanks so much BJ. HK have a knock off of the icon a5 and its way cheaper.

Ill look up this Polaris again mate.

thanks
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:17 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,028 Posts
The icon looks cool BUT read reviews as I think there may be some issues if I remember correctly.

The to be released micro carbon cub with floats may be in my future hanger and it looks awesome; plus I can use it at the cottage on calm mornings and or off rivers and ponds around here
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:25 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,184 Posts
i was hoping to modify the new carbon z floats and use them on my umx sbach.

I just downloaded a version of the polaris for realflight and flew it for a while and landed on the water and I was like meh. Im sure I would get over it pretty quickly.

Razors you getting the new micro rad jet mate?

I so should of ordered another parjet kit for $15 when I made the order this morning but meh my combat should go quicker.