HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2014, 02:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,601 Posts
Discussion
HoverflyDart Quadplane for VTOL and Aerobatics

The intent of this thread is to exchange ideas on this type of flying platform.

As an RC kid in the 60s I was fascinated by the Pogo and the Ryan X-13 VTOLs. At the time the tech didn't exist to really make an acceptable RC VTOL plane. HoverflyDart is my first attempt at a true RC VTOL Quadplane.

3 years ago I built my first SeaDart foamie for float flys. Since then I've built 3 more and have FPVed two of them. I recently began playing with flight controllers to hover my Flyguys. As I learned more about their capabilities the possibility of creating a practical RC VTOL became possible.

The delta design lends itself to VTOL because of the wide base. The vertical and dorsal fins need to be long providing a wide base in the other axis. I elected to place the props at the Delta's balance point and built a ply and carbon skeletal structure for hard landings and aerobatic maneuvers. The only major mod has been to add internal carbon to the nose for tip overs.

I really would like to see what others have done.

New video 4-16-14

HoverFlyDart Quadplane by Otto Dieffenbach (2 min 5 sec)

HoverflyDart Hybrid Quadcopter and Plane Flight 2 by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 5 sec)
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Apr 16, 2014 at 09:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2014, 02:34 PM
Old Fogey-ish
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,117 Posts
Very cool Otto !

sr71afan has made some VTOL's he calls " Deltoid " , single motor prop in slot . He mixes all four control surfaces for roll .

Al

Indoor RC Deltoid Workout (3 min 27 sec)
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Feb 26, 2014, 02:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Very cool Otto !

sr71afan has made some VTOL's he calls " Deltoid " , single motor prop in slot . He mixes all four control surfaces for roll .

Al

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uBxrmuoyfM
That is cool.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2014, 06:47 PM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,311 Posts
Cool

I built and flew my own vtol rocket which one awards and inspired frank knoll to do the hobbico
Vtol.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=starchas

http://www.dreamitrc.com/Dream-it.html

I have many kits left and the body interlocks onto fins making it a very simple quad conversion.
The flight controller would be my only challenge, does it use any flight controls beyond the quad?

I would love to get one mated to a dji 450 frame of which I have, it would even work on a 300 as the starchaser was only 9 oz rtf on 2s 750mah
c/f is offline Find More Posts by c/f
Last edited by c/f; Mar 01, 2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2014, 07:47 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c/f View Post
Cool

I built and flew my own vtol rocket which one awards and inspired frank knoll to do the hobbico
Vtol.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=starchas

http://www.dreamitrc.com/Dream-it.html

I have many kits left and the body interlocks onto fins making it a very simple quad conversion.
The flight controller would be my only challenge, does it use any flight controls beyond the quad?

I would love to get one mated to a dji 450 frame of which I have, it would even work on a 300 as the starchaser was only 9 oz rtf on 2s 750mah
Yes. I have elevons and rudders with aileron mixing. I run two receivers. One to the quad board and one for the flight controls. Both receivers are bound to the same transmitter.

That was a cool rocket and flew well.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Mar 02, 2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 08:41 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,085 Posts
Great stuff Otto !!. Saw your man with the quad setup and tried to build one with the little Blade MQX system but didn't have enough poop to get off the ground. Checked out the bigger ones at the local hobby shop but they were way out of my price range being on old farts pension. Going to try to see if I can get the HK gyro rcvr , which I have, to operate the four motors rather than servos. Too many planes to build, not enough time. I still have a Pogo that I built around 2000. Getting a little rusty but still flys

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 02, 2014, 03:42 PM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,311 Posts
So I think I can comprehend the two bound receiver thing, the quad would handle vertical flight without ele/rud commands? Then how is it horizontally flown and disable quad flight and using motors only?

Is it possible to see programming from your radio brand saved?
c/f is offline Find More Posts by c/f
Old Mar 02, 2014, 04:28 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Great stuff Otto !!. Saw your man with the quad setup and tried to build one with the little Blade MQX system but didn't have enough poop to get off the ground. Checked out the bigger ones at the local hobby shop but they were way out of my price range being on old farts pension. Going to try to see if I can get the HK gyro rcvr , which I have, to operate the four motors rather than servos. Too many planes to build, not enough time. I still have a Pogo that I built around 2000. Getting a little rusty but still flys

Gord.
That's cool. Any video?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2014, 04:45 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c/f View Post
So I think I can comprehend the two bound receiver thing, the quad would handle vertical flight without ele/rud commands? Then how is it horizontally flown and disable quad flight and using motors only?

Is it possible to see programming from your radio brand saved?
Here's what I have right now. I do things on the cheap so I don't spend a lot of money.

I have one cheap 6ch receiver from Target Hobby at $5. This one goes to the KK2.1 FC quad board. I have the rudder and aileron plugs swapped and the aileron set to reverse in the transmitter. Throttle and elevator plugs go to the board. I do not use self level. The quadplane then responds from a control standpoint like a plane hanging on the prop.

I set my DX8 transmitter up for dual aileron, dual elevator and dual rudder. This takes the plug outputs on my cheapo 9 ch HK receiver to have aux1, aux2 and aux3 as aileron, elevator and rudder. I mix gear to the rudder at 100 percent to give me a third rudder output. On this receiver I only use the gear and 3 aux outputs to connect flight servos. I mix aux1 to aux2 and aux 2 to aux 1 to get 2 elevon outputs. I also mx ail to aux3 and ail to gear to get roll and yaw from both rudder outputs.

I run two BECs. One for the copter stuff and one for the plane stuff. It works.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Mar 03, 2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2014, 05:47 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,527 Posts
Very clever use of mixing.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Mar 07, 2014, 11:42 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,601 Posts
Update.

I just converted my configuration to a single 8 chan receiver to clean up the control system. Went out and flew flights 3, 4 and 5 with VTOL on each.

Rolls and knife edge are easy. Does fine hammerheads. Loops both inside and out. The differential thrust really makes for tight turn and loop capability. Pirouettes not a problem. Still working dual rates for flight vs hover mode. I need to think outside the box. This platform is more capable then just a plane. I should be able to do some strange stuff. Normal flight is aileron and elevator (elevon only). No rudder required. Transitioning from flight to hover induces some momentary left roll that settles out quickly. Definitely need different rates for the roll axis in hover vs flight; 40% more for hover.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:06 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,290 Posts
I have completed the CAD design for Otto on the HoverFlyDart.
A pdf has been submitted to Otto for final approval.

It uses two full sheets of 6mm x 39.37" x 27.5" Depron
Pricing, for Foam and Ply Horns only, will be $50 plus shipping.
This is edited down from the previous $60 due to switch form 9 to 6 mm

It is not yet on my web pages so ...
Anyone interested simply PM me.

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Last edited by birdofplay; Mar 13, 2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:59 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,290 Posts
Otto has OK'd my CAD work,
So I'm ready to start cutting for anyone interested.

PDF file included with all orders.

Best

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
Last edited by birdofplay; Mar 13, 2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:32 PM
All can fly...Launch stronger!
France, Centre, Romorantin-Lanthenay
Joined Oct 2013
742 Posts
Great new, Thx Bob
ttersu is offline Find More Posts by ttersu
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My builds
Old Mar 13, 2014, 02:28 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,290 Posts
I just found out that that design has been changed to all 6mm depron
so I will be able to reduce the price accordingly.

$50 + Shipping for the Hover Fly Dart.

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service