HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2013, 05:55 PM
Minneapolis, MN and Durango, CO
Joined Apr 2002
184 Posts
Help!
Roedel Modell Help Needed

I have a problem with a Roedel Modell 4.2 Meter Ka6 kit that I purchased awhile back and am just now getting to building.

It appears that the two fuselages sides were inaccurately joined. This resulted in the horizontal stab being higher on one side than it is on the other. The difference is quite significant and can not be fixed by re-drilling the hole for the shaft that the two stab halves ride on because the fairings will not match up with the stab roots.

I have tired contact Roedel by e-mail but have not had a reply from them. Since this is clearly a manufacturing defect I am asking them to send a replacement fuselage.

I do not speak German so I'm afraid a phone call would not be productive. Have any of you had any experience with the way this company handles problems?

Are there any modelers with German language skills that would be willing to help me resolve this issue.

Here is the photograph that I sent in one of my e-mails to this manufacturer. You can clearly see the poor alignment.

If you reside in Germany and can help me resolve this issue with Roedel I would be most appreciative.

Ed
EBerris is offline Find More Posts by EBerris
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2013, 06:46 PM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
906 Posts
I wish you the best of luck getting a replacement fuselage although I think that's a long shot.

Pragmatically, I'd just re-drill the joiner holes so that the tailplane is perpendicular to the fin, then rework the fairings with filler. My Ka6 just reached the top of the build queue last month so I may be doing the same. Have you got any English instructions Ed or are you just freestyling it?

I'd also be interested in any mods you're doing on yours - I have a few planned (aluminium/carbon wing joiner, brushless outrunner in nose with removeable prop/shaft, suspension for undercarriage, closed loop rudder control, possibly elevator servo in tail).

Rog
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Old Jul 18, 2013, 07:35 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,582 Posts
Ed, welcome to the world of scale sailplanes. The brutal truth is forget about getting another fuselage, you stand a better chance of winning the lottery, you need re drill the holes, time to use those good old fashioned modeling skills, this is really a very easy fix.
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:09 PM
"Fly"Fisherman
Guntersville, AL
Joined Jun 2004
641 Posts
+1,
Asher Carmichael is offline Find More Posts by Asher Carmichael
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:23 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,600 Posts
+2
Sorry Ed, I do speak German quite well, but this is a case where all the German speaking skills in the world will go nowhere, if only because the cost of packing and shipping a replacement fuselage of this size exceeds its value.
I join the previous posters in suggesting you re-drill the holes (with the wing mounted to assure parallel plaines), maybe make some new root ribs and glue them into proper position, then fill and sand and paint.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:48 PM
Gene C
Joined Aug 2008
49 Posts
I completed my Roedel Modell 4.2 Meter Ka6 kit early last year. Be sure to check the vertical fin alignment with the wing before setting the horizontal stabilizers. Mine had a slight twist that was corrected with the rudder post installation. This would also throw off the horizontal placement to some degree.
Gene C
justhuman is offline Find More Posts by justhuman
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:03 PM
Minneapolis, MN and Durango, CO
Joined Apr 2002
184 Posts
Thanks

Dieter and all. I had offered to pay the shipping although I don't think I should have to since the error in construction was so significant.

It's surprising to me that Roedel would be so indifferent to their customer. I would have at least expected a reply. Seems like a shoddy way to do business.

As a kit maker myself I did have some customers that received fiberglass parts on rare occasions that were not right. I replaced them at once and at no charge. And I certainly did not expect them to pay shipping.

I guess Roedel does things differently.

I'm just saying,
Ed
EBerris is offline Find More Posts by EBerris
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:55 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,582 Posts
It isn't just Roedel.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 01:36 AM
Joined Oct 2007
906 Posts
This may or may not make you feel better Ed but I just checked the back of my fus and it's exactly the same as yours... even the slight concavity on the RHS lower fin wall - so at least they're consistent!

I will run some carbon tows around the inside of the fin post to correct, and agree with Gene that the straightness of the fin needs checking against the wings as well as the tailplane (and also cross-checking with the canopy rim by resting a straight edge across the cockpit). With a bit fiddling it should be possible to get a reasonable compromise between all these elements.

As s2000 says, fixing a few things like this is par for the course although I think Roedel owe you at least a reply. They're mostly good at sorting out smaller issues/selling replacement parts, at least in Europe.

Look forward to seeing how your build goes (so I can steal all your good ideas!)

Rog
Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:02 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,600 Posts
Hang in there, you may still get a response. However, I know that Herr Rödel does not speak much English, so he may find it difficult to tell you how to correct this issue, and therefore he puts off replying to you.
I think you've received good suggestions here, also from Gene. Installing the rudder post may affect alignment, so it's important that you have the wings mounted and the rudder post (temporarily) installed as you re-drill and re-align the stab.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:24 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,582 Posts
Ed, to add to what Dieter said, it is most likely the language barrier that is preventing a proper response from Roedel, it is very difficult to do a word for word translation from English to German, and vice versa, if you ever get to meet the model makers from Europe, they are the nicest, most fun loving group of people who truly love the hobby and will bend over backwards to help, but the distance, language and cultural barriers make it difficult if not impossible for hobbyists in the United States to communicate correctly, that is why I appreciate so much our US distributors such as SoaringUSA, Icare-Rc and many others.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 06:55 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,447 Posts
Hi Ed- +3 with Sutton Bank. I purchased one of these on 6-11-98 (per invoice) and the stabilator holes need to be drilled on the fuse I have although there are molded 'locator' recesses as a guide. Was yours pre-drilled from the factory? My fuse has significant 'flash' of the seams that needs sanding and filling but I think this fuse was pretty much 'state of the art' for the time. It is very nice otherwise. The wings are sheeted foam and I will glass them in lieu of plastic film covering as recommended.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Jul 21, 2013, 09:40 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,548 Posts
Just another take on the situation given both sides of the fuse are miss aligned. Would you be better off cutting through the joins with a razor saw jigging the tail and wing square then tacking the two halves back together snd finally reg lassoing the joint. This would be super strong and the tail mouldings would remain as is.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Jul 21, 2013, 02:47 PM
Joined Oct 2007
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nuts 181 View Post
Would you be better off cutting through the joins with a razor saw jigging the tail and wing square then tacking the two halves back together snd finally reg lassoing the joint.
Sounds like a cowboy fix to me Ross.

Actually my fus isn't that bad so I'll just make sure fin/tailplane are squared with the wings and use filler to blend in the tail fairings. I'll leave the major glasswork until after my first crash.

Rog