HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:51 AM
aka Mr.Side-Winder
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jun 2007
349 Posts
Discussion
Nice Backup-beater :)

After 5+ years of not flying... Got to fly today. Was low on funds at the time I bought the kit , so to get back into it cheap I bought an Art hobby Hybrid. Weight came out 12.8oz, (I knew this was not a light bird, but I wanted something to fly for fun that was cheap, and I wanted to build something with wood again).

Thermal-ed first throw!!! , (actually got lucky threw into a boomer)... 12+ min flight
Wind was a bit breezy, so the weight really helped today!
Actually performs better than I expected for what it is.. (a $170 airframe)

And it did the job.. something to fly while I build my very nice composite 'Sharbonda wing/tail and Siler fuse ..Contest Ship' for the Bruce.
Also no worries if I tree it, re-kit it, or sit on it!!!

I really like the new radio I bought.. a Tactic TTX650. $150.00 came with 2 receivers full range no problem, easy to program and very flexible, does everything I needed it to do for a DLG and more... Launch preset flapperons etc. I was going to buy a new radio once I had more money to spend, but no need with this.. Very Nice radio for my needs... I'm keeping this one!

Airframe Mods:
1. shortened boom by 3"
2. increased flapperons width from 35mm to 47mm at root, and hinged on bottom
3. pull pull setup for tail
4. throwing blade installed.
5. 6.25" dihedral , much nicer turning (the plans call for < 3" !)

This will be my 'Wind machine' plane for backup on really windy contest rounds.

Cheers,
Jeff
Jeff Winder is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Winder
Last edited by Jeff Winder; Jun 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:34 PM
Joined Jun 2003
389 Posts
Jeff
Glad to see you back! Back on the right Side (winder) Hope we will see you at the Bruce!
Todd
ifome is offline Find More Posts by ifome
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:24 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,207 Posts
I like this thread. It shows how a person can do the DLG thing own a budget. Thanks for posting and if you are going to the Bruce... Hopefully we'll meet up.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Jun 23, 2013, 07:31 AM
aka Mr.Side-Winder
Joined Jun 2007
349 Posts
Got my launch height back!

Well , didn't take long to get back into launching high again. Once I had the presets tweaked in, I started throwing it hard. Good launch height, about where I use to throw ..

Then. CRACK on launch! canopy popped to the side when airborne, I thought it blew off. After landing, I saw the problem. Fuse buckled right side in compression.

Oh yes!!! Getting my throwing technique back in shape again!!!

Mod (part 2):
Quick fix back at the home front with 2 pieces of 5mm x 1mm carbon stock, some thick CA and kicker. Really stiffens the fuse and added a little extra needed nose weight. Like having a new car and getting that first dent, (feels more comfortable flying now!!!)...

Note: photos were taken after applying the fix.

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff Winder; Jun 23, 2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 02:06 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,161 Posts
Good to see you back to breaking things again Jeff.

For you new guys out there, Jeff was one of the original wing makers for DLGing. I have several of his SideWinderII ? wings still flying. I think Jeff may have made the first DLG wing to fly at the Nats. ??

Whatever, good job on your DLG build Jeff, watch out for "Buddy's Tree" at the Bruce. There are some other fun things behind Bruce's house too. It's a realy Great place to fly. Enjoy

walt
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Old Jun 24, 2013, 02:57 PM
aka Mr.Side-Winder
Joined Jun 2007
349 Posts
2000 Nats

Walt,
Yes I did bag the first DLG wing used at the 2000 Nats that Paul Seigel used to win it that year. We went through a bunch of different layups to finally get it strong and light enough to discus launch. It was uncharted territory in those days.
The plane is in the AMA museum at Muncie now.
I'm currently building a Super Fr3ak clone, (got a Zone wing set and tails from Kevin Sharbonda and a fuse from Tom Siler)

Will keep you updated...
Jeff