HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2013, 07:06 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
Build Log
Falcon 880 E conversion

I haven't been able to find out much on the Falcon 880E. So I've decided to document this project and turn it into a build thread. Maybe it can help someone else down the road. Assuming it works out in the end.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Last edited by Steve Boone; Jun 01, 2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: changed this into a build thread
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2013, 09:08 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
I had bought a Hyperion HP GS2213-14 1337kv motor for my OLY III but I plan to use it on this instead. I just can't bring myself to cut up the OLY. Plus the fuse shape on the Falcon will look better with a motor on it. Swinging a Graupner 10x8 prop on 3S it should produce 353 watts according to the spec sheet. Guessing the final weight should put me in the 80-90 watts/lb range. Still too many variables to get a closer approximation on the weight yet though. I'm not looking for vertical performance just something to E-winch it into the sky. I did find a couple of fuses here on R/C Groups so I won't have to use my original one. They're going to need a bit of love but that's no big deal.

I'll post more when the fuss get here and I can get started on the project.
Last edited by Steve Boone; Jun 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 04:30 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
Thanks to the generosity of Ed "fruitguy" White I have two fuses to work with. Thanks Ed!

I meant to take a pic of the fuse as I received it. Like an idiot I pulled the gear out of the one I'm going to use before I remembered it though. I'll make sure to take one before I get under way working on reconditioning it. I plan to strip it clean, repair as necessary, prime/repaint and then gear it up. The goal is to be able to swap my wings between the standard and electric. I'm hoping to get started next week as I have house guest right now from out of state.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 07:28 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
I had a little time so I took a few pics to show what I'm starting with. The "Ugly Falcon" was a gift from my good friend Joe. He said I needed to have a better plane as my skills had improved so much over the season. I think he felt bad that I winch launched my Sophisticated Lady without the power on while talking on the flight line. It did not turn out well. Joe amazes me every time he flies a Falcon. He ranges out so far I swear he'll never get back. He almost always pulls it off though.
Last edited by Steve Boone; Jun 16, 2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:33 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
I've been finishing up a Mystique build so haven't done much. I took an inventory of parts & equipment as well as weighing everything as I went. It looks like it may end up around 69 oz. That's with a 3S 2200 lipo in it. Of course it's still too early to say for sure.

I also removed the tow hook block and servo tray. The plan is to epoxy any cracks and fill in any unneeded holes in the fuse first. Then sand and prime. After that I'll get to cutting the nose off and installing a motor mount.

With 90* temps and T-storms in the forecast for the weekend I have hopes to get some work done on this build. I have one wing to finish in the restoration part of the build. I want to finish that first so I can post pics of how it came out.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 04:53 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
I decided to chop the nose off today. I couldn't stand it any more. The good thing was the fuse is oval shaped. This allowed me to put the motor to the top of the fuse and the wires could run along the bottom out of harms way. Made a motor mount out of ply and mounted her up for mock up. I figured I might as well get a couple of pics as well. In the pics the wires are holding the motor a bit out of place. The fit is actually better than it looks. It does have a little more fitting to do before epoxying it in place.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:53 AM
Ed White
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
840 Posts
Looks good.
fruitguy is offline Find More Posts by fruitguy
Old Jun 25, 2013, 06:39 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
Today I filled almost all of the holes using epoxy & micro-balloons. The wing rod holes only need a bit of adjusting to fit my current wing. So I will do those after I adjust them to fit my wings. Still have a couple of cracks to epoxy and then it will be ready to sand. I also final fit the motor mount so it's ready for epoxy as soon as I finish the rest of the fuse work.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:37 PM
Australia, VIC, Carnegie
Joined Oct 2008
4 Posts
Falcon 880E

Steve,

I am glad you are documenting this conversion as I have a new "old" kit for this sitting in the roof ! The fuselage is pretty slim but should give great performance. The Hyperion motor choice also seems good although looking at the hyperion data sheets, at 3S and with a 12x6.5, this should give you more performance than the smaller prop.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Dale
nichda is offline Find More Posts by nichda
Old Jun 26, 2013, 07:49 AM
Ed White
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone View Post
Today I filled almost all of the holes using epoxy & micro-balloons. The wing rod holes only need a bit of adjusting to fit my current wing. So I will do those after I adjust them to fit my wings. Still have a couple of cracks to epoxy and then it will be ready to sand. I also final fit the motor mount so it's ready for epoxy as soon as I finish the rest of the fuse work.
Hence the reason, the fuze sat in my shop for the last ten years
fruitguy is offline Find More Posts by fruitguy
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:33 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
I thought I heard it quietly sobbing in the box because it had been land bound for too long. I'll make sure it doesn't collect dust any more for you. It will be sighing in relief soon when it takes to the air once again. Thanks again for the fuses. I have not forgotten our deal either.
Old Jul 07, 2013, 07:36 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
Just a quick update. Life & health been getting in the way. I hate it when that happens.

I finally had a chance to prime it with primer/filler. I find it helps to see what you missed and what needs a bit more work. I have a little more body work and still need to move the wing rod holes back a bit. Then fill in around the wing rod tube. Then more sanding and it's off to paint.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:49 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,529 Posts
We've been in a heat wave so I haven't done much. Mostly as the next thing to do is grind fiberglass and I don't like to do that in the house. I plan to get back on this project this coming week as the weather is supposed to improve. In the mean time, I did finish the last two control surfaces. Here's some pics of the restored plane in glider mode. I do need to order some more prism tape for the other wing half as well. I'm also considering a vinyl "Falcon 880" decal for the wing if I can find someone who does that type of stuff.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:06 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,517 Posts
Looks fantastic! Also brings back some great memories!
ak79 is online now Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 20, 2013, 02:44 AM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
555 Posts
Custom Decals

Mike Lee (mlee8249) who posts on the ALES forum makes excellent decals in your choice of size, style and color. Send him a PM.

Iain
rev.iain is offline Find More Posts by rev.iain