HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:51 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,234 Posts
Even a disclaimer that they charge "real" shipping rates would help.
If the plane is discounted to $99...and their actual cost for shipping based on their discounted rates is $50...and that shipping price is valid for the non-discounted plane (say $290)...then folks would bite.

"The shipping price you see is our actual cost of shipping. We simply pass that cost on to you."

$290 normal plane price + actual shipping rate of $50 = $340
Shipping is only 15% of the total cost.

$99 damaged plane price + actual shipping of $50 = $149
While shipping is still a whopping 3rd of the entire cost in the 2nd scenario, it is still agreeable since you know that is the real cost to ship it.

I would rather pay $50 to ship it via UPS ground (5-7 days) then pay $22 for 18-20 days (plus a trip to the airport or train station to pick it up). But that is just me...and those are just my opinions.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpilotto View Post
4*60, I am not understanding honest business? They are a "for profit" business if we do not like the prices we (or at least I) can shop somewhere else. Not a personal attack just stating fact.

I would not pay $100 to ship a $100 plane, it just does not make sense.

-----Break-----

Bombay,

$66 is more of a reasonable price but I do not believe HK uses FedEx they might use UPS and for sure use USPS. We need a newer lower-cost shipping choice, something that uses rail for the super slow deliveries at a rock bottom price. Something like, the Decathlon sized box from Seattle to NY for $22 in 18-24 days.

New business opportunity.

John
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:09 PM
Building until we fly w\ Jesus
United States, CA, Moreno Valley
Joined May 2011
83 Posts
Problem is that it is not $49 to ship to California. It is $96 for shipping. I have had a bed, stove and lawnmowwer delivered for less. The only way I would buy this plane is if it went down to $39 then I would pay the $96 shipping. Currently to get it to the West Coast cost almost as much as the plane. There was under 10 left months ago and low and low the same amount is still there. I wonder why???
Shawndae is offline Find More Posts by Shawndae
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:12 PM
Mr. Crash and Burn
Joined Jan 2013
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawndae View Post
Problem is that it is not $49 to ship to California. It is $96 for shipping. I have had a bed, stove and lawnmowwer delivered for less. The only way I would buy this plane is if it went down to $39 then I would pay the $96 shipping. Currently to get it to the West Coast cost almost as much as the plane. There was under 10 left months ago and low and low the same amount is still there. I wonder why???
i went to check it out and said only aval. to vip members hahaha
Dweenie is offline Find More Posts by Dweenie
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:15 PM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Downers Grove
Joined Nov 2007
1,705 Posts
Bombay,

Valid points on shipping cost. Personally, I have soooo many planes that I have not built I am not in any rush to receive more, meaning, I look for the lowest cost hence, the slow shipping for next to nothing. On the other hand, I can order a Decathlon for $99 and go to HK warehouse and pick it up for the cost to drive the 7 miles there and 7 back. (I measured the distance today when I ran to pick up another order).

I ordered two Contenders that were on sale from Tower Hobby (2 different times) and did not pay a cent for shipping on first order (Champagne, IL to DuPont, WA) and only $9.99 on the second. (I guess this is one of those cases where smaller is better, LMAO)

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:53 AM
Citizen# 145
United States, MA
Joined Sep 2011
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badpilotto View Post
Bombay,

Valid points on shipping cost. Personally, I have soooo many planes that I have not built I am not in any rush to receive more, meaning, I look for the lowest cost hence, the slow shipping for next to nothing. On the other hand, I can order a Decathlon for $99 and go to HK warehouse and pick it up for the cost to drive the 7 miles there and 7 back. (I measured the distance today when I ran to pick up another order).

I ordered two Contenders that were on sale from Tower Hobby (2 different times) and did not pay a cent for shipping on first order (Champagne, IL to DuPont, WA) and only $9.99 on the second. (I guess this is one of those cases where smaller is better, LMAO)

John
Actually, it doesn't have to do with the size through tower. If you pay $9.99 to join their super saver club for a year then you get free shipping on any orders that go over $150. I recently ordered a great planes Mr. Muligan ARF which had a price of $159.99 and a prop that costs $6.78 my $10 super saver membership saved me $20 off my purchase and also got me free shipping. So, the plane and prop was delivered to my door (in 4 days) for $146.77.
{}{steve}{} is online now Find More Posts by {}{steve}{}
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:04 AM
Denny the "Finger"
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Dec 2012
18 Posts
Perspective is everything...

New plane plus shipping would normally be near $350.

Cuurent offer makes the deal $200 or less depending where you live.

I have one. It is well worth the $200 compared to other similar aircraft on the market. Except for the cowl issue which is repairable AND they tell you about it up front, it appears to be a quality product that was not packaged properly in some cases.

Those of you that can only see the shipping cost and not the sale as a whole are talking yourselves out of a nice plane at a nice price.

As mentioned before, if the price isn't right for you then pass it by, but complaining about shipping costs because you want to view shipping as separate from the total cost is a fool's game. Do you really think Tower or any other is going to give you free anything? They're in business to make money and whatever it costs them to ship their products is built into their sales structure. For some of you folks, if you don't see it or otherwise know how exactly they extract their profit margin, you seem to be able to talk yourselves into believing that your sale was special because at face value it appears they took a loss for you. Some of you just seem to get your feelings hurt when business is transparent. There is not one single successful business that spends more money than it brings in.

If it were $180 + $19.99 shipping it might appear more attractive, but the total remains the same.

Getting bent over the shipping amount is a waste of thread.
D_Wright is offline Find More Posts by D_Wright
Last edited by D_Wright; Mar 17, 2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:31 AM
Kaysville, Utah
Joined Jul 2003
136 Posts
I have always wondered when shipping is quoted so much like that how people like Horizon can ship me an Albatros which is quite large, and I get it for 139.99 with free shipping, to make things better, on amazon there was no oversize charge either. There has got to be some deal Hobbyking is missing out on. I'm sure they could gain some customers of the US warehouse if they could get shipping at comparable prices.
npinnau is offline Find More Posts by npinnau
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:45 AM
Citizen# 145
United States, MA
Joined Sep 2011
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npinnau View Post
I have always wondered when shipping is quoted so much like that how people like Horizon can ship me an Albatros which is quite large, and I get it for 139.99 with free shipping, to make things better, on amazon there was no oversize charge either. There has got to be some deal Hobbyking is missing out on. I'm sure they could gain some customers of the US warehouse if they could get shipping at comparable prices.
They aren't missing out on anything. IMO, they are making up for their low prices by over charging with shipping. It's a business practice that has gone on for a long time. In fact, it was so common on eBay, that eBay finally put in their EULA that you cannot charge excessive shipping and handling charges. It's a deceptive business practice and it's why I won't buy anything from HK.
{}{steve}{} is online now Find More Posts by {}{steve}{}
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:00 AM
Building until we fly w\ Jesus
United States, CA, Moreno Valley
Joined May 2011
83 Posts
Well lets see, the first posting of this deal was back in Novemeber 2012 over 144 days ago and we are still posting about it. When I checked on the site at the first posting there were +10 showing in stock and now after 144 days it still shows +10 in stock. If this was all that hot of a deal it would have been sold out by now. I am sure we will still be posting about this plane for the next 144 days due to everyone would like to have it but are not willing to pay $96 dollars for shipping. I know I sure want one but I will never pay $99 for the plane and $96 for shipping.
Shawndae is offline Find More Posts by Shawndae
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:45 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
They aren't missing out on anything. IMO, they are making up for their low prices by over charging with shipping. ...
Thru the darkness, a candle!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member