Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:05 AM
Evolution is a way of life !!
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
4,792 Posts
Discussion
Gismo 36 edf ?????

Hi guys.
Tell me if I'm in the wrong place.. I'm building a new sloper/ds wing.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1781085

I'm interested in making a EDF version also. I've had EDF's in the past , but now hooked on DSing and don't really know what's out there.
I do a lot of composite, and I'm looking for a POD type set up. I guess 50 or 70mm. ???

Info.
The tail plug into a 100mm by 30mm slot in the top surface of the wing , so mounting is not a problem. Also im planing on making a twin tail set up , basically a bottom mount/bracket with tails attached , and EDF pod in the centre.
Any help or push in the right direction would be cool..

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:10 AM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
4,792 Posts
...bump..

No idea's... I guess , low drag , agile , full carbon , hollow molded , planes might not be fast enough.

50mm will be good. I've got a few haoye 51mm EDF's , I guess that a start just to see how it goes , and balances etc.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:09 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,083 Posts
I stuck a 50mm EDF with pod on top of an old Jarel Stryker sloper and it works great. It doesn't have loads of power, but once it gets going, it flies nicely. I glued a large dowel inside the fuse to connect the bottom to the top and drilled a hole through it for mounting the fan pod. The pod has a t-nut in its bottom and a long bolt holds it on. This way the plane can go back to pure glider or a larger fan could be fitted. To be honest, I wasn't sure if the little 50mm unit was going to be enough poop!

I like your Gizmo. Looks neat! It depends on what kind of flying you want to do with it. In my case I didn't want to add a bunch of weight so it's only using a 3s 1320 battery pack. Do you just want to keep it up on the slope when the wind quits, or would you fly it on the flat?

The 64mm fans are flying on 3 and 4s 2200 packs and go pretty well, generally with inexpensive little outrunners. For big power or greater efficiency, 70mm gets you up to the next level of motor sizes with 28mm motors. Most use Mega, ARC or Neu inrunners.

I'll keep an eye on your other thread. Fly well Gizmo!
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Last edited by Steve C; Dec 08, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:15 PM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
4,792 Posts
Thanks steve.

Just for flying on the no wind days.. I'd like to set it up for for Around 100mph.
Which I don't think will be hard , for this slippery little sucker.
The BIG restriction I have is room for Batt. I think I can get a 1000mah 4s or a larger 3s.
I have 21mm thinkness around the nose section , I could run 2 smaller batt on angle , kind of V .
This is the reason I'd like to find some kind of pod ( already manufactured ) so I don't have to make them my self.

With my central fin , i guess twin 40mm or 50mm would be good.

Air frame weight should be around 250g...

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:57 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2007
3,509 Posts
250g you could get away with a 30mm!

Wemo microfan (55mm) would be a good start. Not the cheapest, but should perform
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis