HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:43 AM
United States, NY, Kingston
Joined Feb 2006
217 Posts
Discussion
Beginners Kit

I am somewhat familiar with working with balsa kits but am looking for something between the old 7 piece .049 CL kits and BoT kit. i want to fly trainer electric and am looking for a relatively well designed easy build Balsa kit. Anyone have any good suggestions? looked at the Dumas Bird dog but it looks very fragile to me. also the Dumas J3...anyone other suggestions guys?
Bariboy is offline Find More Posts by Bariboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:46 AM
Winston Salem, NC
Joined Aug 2006
264 Posts
Squirt

The Dumas kits are verly lightly designed. A bit too fragile as a trainer.

I would go for the Squirt fromStevens Aero. Tough to beat. An extremely durable plane to learn on.

M.
MikeinNC is offline Find More Posts by MikeinNC
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:48 AM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,280 Posts
If I understand your post correctly you are looking for a trainer, correct? If that is the case, I would like to suggest you hold off on the scale subjects until you have successfully flown a model classified as a trainer.
May I suggest the Stevens Aero "Sports Stik" or the "Squirt".http://www.stevensaero.com/Trainers-p-1-c-37.html
Another couple of great subjects would be the Mountain Models "Dandy" http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=229
Or the "DuskStick" http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=222
All 4 of these would make ideal trainers and both have a relatively low to moderate parts count.

Greg
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:13 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
657 Posts
Here is another inexpensive but well proven designs:

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV5.html?E+Sig

The "Herr" range of airplanes are very easy to build too!

Dave
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:44 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,062 Posts
+1 for Sig.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Is it possible to lose weight?
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:58 AM
Joined Feb 2006
217 Posts
Thanks Guys, have some foma trainers right now that I am learning to fly on, the idea behind the trainer build is the flat week bottom should be easier than others. Also looking to keep the kit to a good quality easya nd clear instruction as wood and I usually do not get a long. I can sew your finger back together no problem, but wood and I.... Thanks for the suggestion guys. Scott
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:15 AM
Joined Feb 2006
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinNC View Post
The Dumas kits are verly lightly designed. A bit too fragile as a trainer.

I would go for the Squirt fromStevens Aero. Tough to beat. An extremely durable plane to learn on.

M.
Very cool little plane! Thanks....wonder if airlerons can be added.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:35 AM
Winston Salem, NC
Joined Aug 2006
264 Posts
Bill used to offer an aileron wing as an upgrade, however; the plane is awesome even at three channels. It will barrel roll very well with just the rudder.

It is always a lot of fun because you don't have to worry about damaging it with most mishaps if you are over grass. It is so tough and durable. I highly recommend the plain brushed motor option on the ruber band mount.

If ailerons are a must, then I would recommend the Tyro from Mountain Models. A very competent plane with tricycle gear making take off and landing even easier.

M.
MikeinNC is offline Find More Posts by MikeinNC
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:43 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,283 Posts
+1 for the TYRO kit for 2 reasons. Light wing loading and spare parts are available (wing and fuselage kits).
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Feb 2006
217 Posts
Ok guys aft looking and thinking and talking to my flying "mentor". I went with the great planes pt-40 mk 2 kit. But I want t o go electric...he's glow and no help there. Any suggestions on a power train? Going B wing build and adding the ailerons. Looking for motor, esc and battery combo. Probably swinging a 10 inch prop from what I can tell.. Thanks again!